Just watched JDS vs Mir:

Likely a lot of this. Despite Mir's inconsistencies at times, his finishing power has always been undeniable. Whether it was his strikes or his subs. The 2nd Simms fight was a good example. Frank was gassed bad, and put together double knees, followed by double big hooks to drop him for the victory. JDS was probably just giving that respect knowing Mir is always dangerous, and has beaten some big names.
2nd nog fight thought he was done

Came back. His fight vs timmeh was epic too

And brawk 1 fight

Look back that title defense was kinda weak. Beating Mir at that point of his career didn't mean much

Look back that title defense was kinda weak. Beating Mir at that point of his career didn't mean much
Yea but there wasn’t any1 else. It was supposed to be Reem but he got busted for PEDS and Cain just lost . Lesnar, carwin also gone

As did almost every other fighter from earlier generations.
Hughes - Royce
Tito and Ken to name a few easy ones.
I think Chuck was the only one to go out against his class.
I guess you could argue Rashad was new gen compared to Chuck.
Royce is different, as the UFC was created to make 'the smallest Gracie' look good against hand picked comp. He did have some good fights with Saku but he was never fighting the absolute best guys in the world, like Bas, Randy, Vitor, etc. Hughes was part of a weird time, where all the best talent was not consolidated under the UFC banner and Pride ruled the roost. Past the pride dissolve, there are ton of fighters who beat the best of their day - Mir never beat Fedor, Prime Cro Cop, Carwin, Ubereem, Prime Barnatt, Werdum, Cain, etc. He got the title in kind of a round about Bisping way, where he did not have to beat the absolute best out there to take it.

I get what you're saying and it's true to an extent. But the Carwin fight was horrific and one of the most unnecessary beatings I've seen a fighter take. That damage probably shortened his career/life a few years. It doesn't get talked about nearly as much as it should when it comes to bad stoppages.
Bad stoppage for sure. Probably the worst he's received. But at least he wasn't Taking a 3 round pasting like some others seem to take on numerous occasions. I can't remember who worked that fight as ref but they definitely dropped the ball on the stoppage.

Bad stoppage for sure. Probably the worst he's received. But at least he wasn't Taking a 3 round pasting like some others seem to take on numerous occasions. I can't remember who worked that fight as ref but they definitely dropped the ball on the stoppage.
Agreed, but keep in mind we're talking heavyweight. Prolonged beatings aren't as common as it is in lighter weight classes, hence the Carwin fight stands out.

And ref was Tan Dan.

Agreed, but keep in mind we're talking heavyweight. Prolonged beatings aren't as common as it is in lighter weight classes, hence the Carwin fight stands out.

And ref was Tan Dan.
Dan is wildly inconsistent at times. Sometime he's spot on. Others are real head scratchers

That was a great card overall all HW main card plus I think that's the night Varner beat Barboza

It was right after Mir sub'd Nog which people thought was impossible. If Mir can sub Nog, Mir can sub anyone. So I think JDS was just being careful.
Cant deny Mir is a good bjj player. He may even be top 5 in UFC history.

Back