Just watched JDS vs Mir:

JDS seems to have hit a wall like a lot of other fighters. IDK for sure but I don't see him being the force he once was.

Also, Mir is such a frustrating guy to watch. Sometimes he looks legit, but other times it's like he's timid. When he put together 2 ko wins a couple of years ago I was thinking he may have found the right camp with the right training. But lately, you just haven't seen him go for many takedowns or be able to impose his bjj on guys. Really since like 2011. Not to mention the guy has not fought in 2 years, tomorrow.

the thing with Mir is he gets too overconfident after he wins. but when he loses he figures it out pretty quickly and made pretty good adjustments

Mir isn't someone you can swarm for a finish if you think you've hurt him - he had proven to be a smart veteran who can end a fight in a matter of seconds with a submission.

JDS was fighting smart and following a gameplan. Consant pressure until Mir folded.

IIRC he predicted a second round ko, I guess he wanted to stood at his prediction

I'll have to rewatch it, but I know it was just 5 months after Mir was knocked half-unconscious but still ripped Nog's arm off. Maybe JDS was extra cautious.
yeah i was trying to remember if it was after mir/nog 2.

also god damn i miss prime JDS, dudes rise to the title was scary.

Prime JDS was one of my favorite fighters.
Great speed, scary power, amazing TDD.
Looked like a HW Chuck Liddel, but even better.
Even had some kicks too.

Fuck you Cain, for ruining this monster of a guy just to get injured forever right after.
He got tentative and lost that sense.

I wonder about if he actually KOd Cain in the 3rd fight in that first shot that rocked him, or with the elbows that he displayed and then forgot 1 minute after.

If you were at the fight you'd know Cain fought right before it.

Yes I was there. Remembered that Mir was a fill in against JDS. Couldn't remember against whom. Yes you are correct, Cain murked Big Foot.

Point was Mir was a replacement... it was supposed to be JDS vs Overeem. Then Reem got popped and couldn't fight.

Sorry for the mistake. However people do make the the occasional error. Had it right about Mir being a replacement.

JDS's decline post Cain is I think a combination of the damage he took and everyone now having figured out how best to fight him.

Again I think that Werdum KO was a massive blessing to Jnr's career, the power he showed was so dangerous everyone for years afterwards showed him a ton of respect which ironically played right into his hands. It made sure JDS never had to deal with being backed up much, everyone gave him the time and space to land his big looping punches he likes.

You look post Cain 2 and JDS has not had a single truly dominant performance, even Rothwell whilst he was ontop Ben had him looking dodgy against the cage quite a few times depending on his chin. Every single fight he's had opponents looking to exploit that weakness to being back up.

Last edited:
Mir got smooshed every time he fought a relevant new breed fighter.
As did almost every other fighter from earlier generations.
Hughes - Royce
Tito and Ken to name a few easy ones.
I think Chuck was the only one to go out against his class.
I guess you could argue Rashad was new gen compared to Chuck.

Oh shit. I didn't realize they were matched up in the first round.

I guess they didn't want to risk it not happening.... guarantees they get at least one of them into the second round.

Hope its Mir. Should be fun.

Last edited:
I guess they didn't want to risk it not happening.... guarantees they get at least one of them into the second round.

Hope its Mir. Should be fun.

Yep. Lol Coker learned his lesson from when he tried to set up Fedor and Ubereem.

It was right after Mir sub'd Nog which people thought was impossible. If Mir can sub Nog, Mir can sub anyone. So I think JDS was just being careful.

Perfect match up for jds.

Sloppy striker with weak wrestling and questionable chi n

That fight was a lock

Looking back at his record and old fights, he probably looked like the second coming of Fedor. Is that how he was perceived before the second fight with Cain?
I always compared him to a poor man's cro cop. Striker with tdd

Never thought he would reign

As did almost every other fighter from earlier generations.
Hughes - Royce
Tito and Ken to name a few easy ones.
I think Chuck was the only one to go out against his class.
I guess you could argue Rashad was new gen compared to Chuck.
Randy couture

Mir isn't someone you can swarm for a finish if you think you've hurt him - he had proven to be a smart veteran who can end a fight in a matter of seconds with a submission.

JDS was fighting smart and following a gameplan. Consant pressure until Mir folded.
True about mir
proven Me wrong many times

Vs nog is greatest comeback ever. And sub the greatest hw sub fighter ever

Back