Just some firsthand experience with Tony's surgery shared.

TemDee

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I've had four knee surgeries. Two MPFl reconstructions, LCL, and MCL. At first I felt bad Tony had his title dissolved, but here's the reality of his surgery.

It'll take him 3 months just to be able to walk unassisted. At that point, his leg will be completely atrophied. Even if you manage to get your knee back to the point that you have full range of motion of the leg, it takes another six months to strengthen the leg to the point that you're confident in the stability of the leg laterally. You just feel like you're going to constantly tip over while you walk. Keep in mind I'm much larger than Tony which impacts recovery time, but I also had these surgeries at 23 as opposed to mid 30s.

It takes about a year to get to the point that you aren't consciously questioning both the stability of the knee and the consisteny in the range of motion, let alone being ready to grapple. I'd be impressed if he's back to form before November of next year, it's really an unfortunate injury.

Edit: Adjutant has a really good response on page 2.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Watch him do stupid things with his leg in instagram in 4 months.

Hey y'all. I've had four knee surgeries. Two MPFl reconstructions, LCL, and MCL. At first I felt bad Tony had his title dissolved, but here's the reality of his surgery.

It'll take him 3 months just to be able to walk unassisted. At that point, his leg will be completely atrophied. Even if you manage to get your knee back to the point that you have full range of motion of the leg, it takes another six months to strengthen the leg to the point that you're confident in the stability of the leg laterally. You just feel like you're going to constantly tip over while you walk. Keep in mind I'm much larger than Tony which impacts recovery time, but I also had these surgeries at 23 as opposed to mid 30s.

It takes about a year to get to the point that you aren't consciously questioning both the stability of the knee and the consisteny in the range of motion, let alone being ready to grapple. I'd be impressed if he's back to form before November of next year, it's really an unfortunate injury.

Thank You for sharing your story. Hopefully you’re fully back on feet (no pun intended). Respect.

Are those timeframes specifically from the LCL surgery? Thats the one that applies to this scenario

Are those timeframes specifically from the LCL surgery? Thats the one that applies to this scenario

Yes. LCL was the hardest to bounce back from. I had such confidence issues in the stability of my knee that my physical therapist had to yell at me because I would just shuffle walk since I was afraid I'd just tip over.

So let's say 18 months or so.

Tony still wanted to fight with his fucked knee. My guess is his next fight is one year

What did you make of the size of the incision? Was yours like that?

Eddie Bravo said the two doctors couldnt agree if Tony needed surgery or not, but they both agreed he couldnt fight. I dont use social media so all my info is a week old from podcasts

This is exactly why McGregor saying he went INTO the Mendes fight with a torn MCL (an 80% torn MCL is a torn MCL) is a load of BS to me. He said that shit just to add spice to his win like he overcame adversity somehow.

You're a regular human. Tony is operating on another level physically. He will come back strong and sooner than most think.

What did you make of the size of the incision? Was yours like that?

Mine is smaller but they're pretty big. It's two scars. One is on the knee from the arthroscope, and the other runs down the side of the leg. But mine wasn't completely removed from the bone, so I'm not surprised his is as large as it is. It could be so large because they took a graft from his leg. Keep in mind I'm not a doctor, just the surgery recipient.

I had a bad Mcl tear, normal footie/soccer.. injury. 6,8 weeks out, psysiotherapy, and my knee has never been back to what it was before that.. 15 years ago. thats the extent of my knee issues.

I doubt he will ever be back to normal if he tore the lateral ligament completely (two pieces, stitched together again) when he was in his mid thirties.. but I really dont think he relied THAT much on his psychical attributes to begin with so..

Last edited:
Mines obviously not a knee, But I shattered my heel and tore my Achilles in half from the bone 11 months ago and i still cant walk more than 5 minutes a day. This particular injury seems worse than mine. Hopefully hes got access to those uber fancy ufc facilities for rehab

Tony still wanted to fight with his fucked knee. My guess is his next fight is one year

I imagine he'll try but if he does, it won't go well. The risk of re-injury when you have a graft is so high.

Well, he's a pro athlete so cut that time in half.

But yeah, knee injuries are a motherfucker. I've had some minor ones. They never go away. ever. When it's busted, it's busted for life.

I'm sad that we'll never see Tony vs Khabib as it should have been, Tony being at full capacity.

I was back to work the next week he should be fine by May...................

JK I am happy I never had to go through that and hope he recovers fast.

Back