Just saw this on FB today. 10th Planet drama.

Holt, I have visited SD and agree with your points. I think the majority of the stereotypes occur from the gyms that are outside the SoCal area, where the instructors aren't as close to Eddie and there's some loss in ability/message (especially with blue and purple belt head instructors). I think Eddie saw this and that's why he instituted the warm ups to try and standardize across his affiliates.
What do you think about their warm ups?

yeah, if you question the legitimacy or appeal of 10thPlanet then you're just not paying enough attention. i think there's some fatal flaws in their approach that hinder them at higher levels, but if there's one thing they've discovered it's that they will beat you if you come from a school that doesn't take no-gi seriously.

Do you mind expanding on some of these flaws?

Last edited:
With so many top talent gyms in Cali I don't see the appeal of training at 10th Planet tbh.
I could see it if you're at a gym that maybe didn't allow as much of an open ruleset in no-gi?

I don't know what AOJ's policy is on heel hooks now but I know that a few of their no-gi students used to cross train at 10p Costa Mesa to get more training on leg locks and some different looks in general. From what I hear the style there is a little more open now than it used to be and it's not just everyone playing the "old school no-gi Atos game." But they used to mostly play IBJJF no-gi style and a few of their guys would go to 10p to work heel hooks and what not. Tony Ferguson and Geo Martinez have both also gone over to train at AOJ for no-gi a few times IIRC.

BJJ...where everyone's panties are in a bunch.

Do you mind expanding on some of these flaws?

A tendency to cut corners, rely on tricks, and/or devalue things that mean the difference between winning and losing at the highest levels. Wrestling, positional control, guard passing, guard defense, gi gripping sequences, etc. aren't just point-fighting BS, they are the secondary skills necessary to implement your primary skills on a good opponent.

A good example why all these belts only help in bringing out the worst in people.

Get rid of them. They directly feed into greed, narcistic behaviour & elitism.

Its a relic of asian blind deference to authority.

ALERT! whitebelt SJW detected.

A tendency to cut corners, rely on tricks, and/or devalue things that mean the difference between winning and losing at the highest levels. Wrestling, positional control, guard passing, guard defense, gi gripping sequences, etc. aren't just point-fighting BS, they are the secondary skills necessary to implement your primary skills on a good opponent.
I can see that. I think Geo is far and away their best and most complete grappler.

I can see that. I think Geo is far and away their best and most complete grappler.

Geo's a good example of what I'm talking about: he has the talent, athleticism, and drive to beat anybody at the lighter weights, but the guy wastes so much energy in his matches having to 'warrior' over his deficiencies. i recall budo jake asking him before ADCC 2015 if he'd worked on his wrestling, and he was like "I'm a guard player!"

I still subscribe to Bravo's online site because its SO cheap (4.99) and you can now skip right to techniques on each episode.

I thought this was a thread about Alan Jouban fighting Ben Saunders this wknd.

I still subscribe to Bravo's online site because its SO cheap (4.99) and you can now skip right to techniques on each episode.
What's you opinion of it? I liked the mastering the twister DVD. I thought he came across as a good teacher. Are you a 10th planet guy? Can you search for techniques or is it all a bit random?

Im having this same discussion on other boards, but the idea that Geo has the potential to beat anyone is so bizarre. He leg locks some people occasionally and his guard seems annoying to pass. What has he ever done that gives him any chance against Rafa or Cobrinha?

What's you opinion of it? I liked the mastering the twister DVD. I thought he came across as a good teacher. Are you a 10th planet guy? Can you search for techniques or is it all a bit random?

Not a 10p guy but it’s a good value for the price. Basically it’s like hour long episodes where parts are entertainment, Parts are BJJ discussion, and then techniques. I just click on the technique parts and he’s a pretty good teacher.

You can skip all the other stuff and go right to the techniques.

Im having this same discussion on other boards, but the idea that Geo has the potential to beat anyone is so bizarre. He leg locks some people occasionally and his guard seems annoying to pass. What has he ever done that gives him any chance against Rafa or Cobrinha?

I think he has the athleticism, and certainly the will, to beat anybody. One thing I notice in his matches, such as the superfight vs. Bruno Frazzato at the ADCC trials, is that his opponents are often caught off guard early by his speed and intensity. However, my earlier point was that there seems to be some ideological blindspots in the 10th Planet approach that hinder him at the highest levels. For example, you saw against Eddie Cummings where Geo seemed tentative to engage a guard he couldn't hit a rolling kimura, truck roll, or ashi garami entry on, and as a result was twice sucked in to very deep sub attempts. By contrast, watch how Edwin Najmi is able to use crisp footwork passing to darce and truck people like Davi Ramos and Marcio Andre.

I would like to chime in. I am not a fan of Prokopos, just based on his attitude from what I have heard in interviews. IMO someone so young doesnt have the experience to pontificate about the meaning of life growing up as a rich kid in the bay area. Add to the fact that as one poster described earlier, I was one of the guys who competed against Canders and had to listen to Denny coach with the "yes, explore there, dominate there, I like your thought process." I didnt have a coach with me so I could hear everything the guy was saying. I was pretty amused listening to this and I knew the position would eventually end with me getting the submission. Reading how he comes off in his social media, Im just not a fan of that persona. Nothing wrong with it, just not for me.
/snip

As you said, just not for you so you'd find it amusing. I think some coaches have it in their head that they have to be deliberately vague so as to not "give anything away". Depends on how well they know their athlete. For some, they've known each other for so long, it's not a code per se, but they just "know".

To be fair, what have other human beings in general shown that gives them a chance against Rafa and Cobrinha?

To be fair, what have other human beings in general shown that gives them a chance against Rafa and Cobrinha?

Augusto Mendes and Marcio Andre.
Heavily roided up Caio Terra seems like someone who would have a chance.
Back in the day Ryan Hall seemed like he was a tier below them with potential to step up.

Augusto Mendes and Marcio Andre.
Heavily roided up Caio Terra seems like someone who would have a chance.
Back in the day Ryan Hall seemed like he was a tier below them with potential to step up.

Yeah I know who's beaten them. What I was implying was more "there aren't a lot of people that've shown it".

Caio would have a lot of sizing up to catch up. Bruno Malfacine I think has a bit of size of Caio at times and they had a good rivalry going. For evey Chimera, there's a Balerathon

Caio would have a lot of sizing up to catch up.

Looking at the rate pro BJJers gain muscle it seems like something he could do in a few months.
Anyway I find it much more likely that every steroid-less Caio beats Rafa than Geo.

Back