Just saw this on FB today. 10th Planet drama.

yeah, denny has a weird type of narcissism. he fancies himself as something of a new age guru
Yeah, ive heard that. Im a Joe Rogan fan and he has said that Denny is one of his good friend. Makes u wonder about Joes ego since he associates with a guy like Denny. Actually its a no secret Joe has giant ego lol. Anyways this crap is like high school shit. Martial arts instructors can be such diva like , cult leaders. My old Taekwondo teacher was like that. Very manipulative and controlling.

I know quite a few Attorneys and some are like you describe.I'm curious, what is keeping them from getting on with a good firm and contributing?
Supply and demand. Too many people with degrees, not enough jobs. People take up shitty jobs to try to get experience to move into a real legal job.

I was lucky and got a position directly out of law school, have been in practice ever since, and was able to lateral into a major firm.

yeah, denny has a weird type of narcissism. he fancies himself as something of a new age guru
Quite a few 10th P guys seem very narcissistic and false market themselves. I don't have beef with Denny but he does 2 things that annoy me:
1.) Repeatedly call himself a "World Champion" when he is referring to "Gracie Worlds" where he beat people nobody has heard of. True IBJJF World Champions busted their ass getting to that level and were able to beat the best in the World at their weight to call themselves that.In order to be a "World Champion" he would have had to beat guys like Bruno Malfacine or Caio Terra. Denny calls himself a World Champion when he has lost to every decent IBJJF competitor by large margins.Denny is still at an age where he is in his grappling prime but hasn't done any tournaments including EBI for years. His competitive career was when few people did NoGi and it was in obscure tournaments against subpar competition. Now that EBI is attractive better grapplers,Denny hasn't been participating.

2.) He always acts like he is a peer of the best. In interviews he talks about his "training sessions" with Caio,Jake Shields etc etc as if he is a peer and they all are getting mutual benefit. In my observations and in conversations, this hasn't been the case at all. I have seen Caio tap Denny multiple times with ease. Yes Caio is one of the best in the World, but ive seen him have much more competitive rolls with Brownbelts.In the rolls that i've observed, it looked like a student and instructor rather than competitive peers.Ive also heard from very humble and reliable sources that when there are open mat sessions with good to great BJJ Blackbelts, Denny clearly stands out as a level below all of them. I'm not saying this to shit on Denny(he is better than an average BB) but it just irritates me how he repeatedly acts like he is on the same level as the best when he clearly knows he isn't.
On the opposite end of the spectrum is his BB Canders who consistently signs up to compete against the best in IBJJF and even though he loses, he stays humble and keeps getting better. Denny has competed against less talent,avoided competing against the best, but keeps repeating that he is "High level" a "world champion" etc etc.

Quite a few 10th P guys seem very narcissistic and false market themselves. I don't have beef with Denny but he does 2 things that annoy me:
1.) Repeatedly call himself a "World Champion" when he is referring to "Gracie Worlds" where he beat people nobody has heard of. True IBJJF World Champions busted their ass getting to that level and were able to beat the best in the World at their weight to call themselves that.In order to be a "World Champion" he would have had to beat guys like Bruno Malfacine or Caio Terra. Denny calls himself a World Champion when he has lost to every decent IBJJF competitor by large margins.Denny is still at an age where he is in his grappling prime but hasn't done any tournaments including EBI for years. His competitive career was when few people did NoGi and it was in obscure tournaments against subpar competition. Now that EBI is attractive better grapplers,Denny hasn't been participating.

2.) He always acts like he is a peer of the best. In interviews he talks about his "training sessions" with Caio,Jake Shields etc etc as if he is a peer and they all are getting mutual benefit. In my observations and in conversations, this hasn't been the case at all. I have seen Caio tap Denny multiple times with ease. Yes Caio is one of the best in the World, but ive seen him have much more competitive rolls with Brownbelts.In the rolls that i've observed, it looked like a student and instructor rather than competitive peers.Ive also heard from very humble and reliable sources that when there are open mat sessions with good to great BJJ Blackbelts, Denny clearly stands out as a level below all of them. I'm not saying this to shit on Denny(he is better than an average BB) but it just irritates me how he repeatedly acts like he is on the same level as the best when he clearly knows he isn't.
On the opposite end of the spectrum is his BB Canders who consistently signs up to compete against the best in IBJJF and even though he loses, he stays humble and keeps getting better. Denny has competed against less talent,avoided competing against the best, but keeps repeating that he is "High level" a "world champion" etc etc.

I was at a tournament one time and overheard Denny, while in the presence of some well-known OG Bay Area black belts, telling some lower belts about how different things were when "WE" were coming up. I just remeber thinking, 'dude you were like 8 years old.'

Last edited:
I don’t know why BJJ guys like to make their drama public. It usually makes everyone look bad.

1.) Repeatedly call himself a "World Champion" when he is referring to "Gracie Worlds" where he beat people nobody has heard of.

I won the expert division in Gracie Worlds, it's definitely not a feat worth bragging about lol. It's crazy to me anyone would brag on that

I was at a tournament one time and overheard Denny, while in the presence of some well-known OG Bay Area black belts, telling some lower belts about how different things were when "WE" were coming up. I just remeber thinking, 'dude you were like 8 years old.'

Hilarious. vI bet he was totally oblivious when he was talking too.
I actually came up around the same time as Denny. I competed at the tournament where Charles Gracie slapped him before he joined Bravo. That said, there was a over a decade of BJJ history in the Bay before us.

I won the expert division in Gracie Worlds, it's definitely not a feat worth bragging about lol. It's crazy to me anyone would brag on that

Gonna start off by saying I’m not a Denny fan. Quite the opposite actually. My old coach beat him in a few tournaments and he was always a bit weird when we would interact. But technically he is a FILA world grappling champ and he did win nogi worlds at brown. Do I think he should be as high on himself as he is? No. Technically can he call himself a world champ? Yes. And no I’m not surprised he is acting like this. Kid has been living in his own 10p bubble for years. My 10 yr old has a more level head

Gonna start off by saying I’m not a Denny fan. Quite the opposite actually. My old coach beat him in a few tournaments and he was always a bit weird when we would interact. But technically he is a FILA world grappling champ and he did win nogi worlds at brown. Do I think he should be as high on himself as he is? No. Technically can he call himself a world champ? Yes. And no I’m not surprised he is acting like this. Kid has been living in his own 10p bubble for years. My 10 yr old has a more level head

What is a FILA world grappling championship? Who did he beat to win it? 2007 was the first year that they had NoGi Worlds and the competitive pool was very shallow. On the podium with him was Joel Tudor,Royi Neeman, and Alfredo Barum. Did he compete at NoGi Worlds at Black Belt in any of the 11 years since?

Hilarious. vI bet he was totally oblivious when he was talking too.
I actually came up around the same time as Denny. I competed at the tournament where Charles Gracie slapped him before he joined Bravo. That said, there was a over a decade of BJJ history in the Bay before us.

i always thoguht it was a tad annoying the way he'd aggressively coach his guys at local tournaments by incessantly yelling 10th planet code words, but it is what it is. however, last year i saw him coaching alex canders at an EBI qualifier and he had taken on this new age therapist cadence: "hmmm yes, I LIKE WHERE YOU'RE GOING, explore that..."

Last edited:
A good example why all these belts only help in bringing out the worst in people.

Get rid of them. They directly feed into greed, narcistic behaviour & elitism.

Its a relic of asian blind deference to authority.

Totally agree- if you heard him on any podcasts- you can tell he is his biggest fan....kinda like the same feeling I get when I listen to Tom Deblass lol.

A good example why all these belts only help in bringing out the worst in people.

Get rid of them. They directly feed into greed, narcistic behaviour & elitism.

Its a relic of asian blind deference to authority.

I disagree. Belts needs to mean something. The whole taking away your belt after you earn it because you did x,y,z is stupid. That I agree with.

I know BJJ politics is real, unfortunately it's very childish and immature.

I like the belt system because if you come from a legit training background, it showcase skill, knowledge, and time spent training. It also helps to keep frauds out as well. I don't want to be a fresh, no experience, new guy to martial arts and paying to learn from a fraud, who passes himself off as something he is not!

Belts are really no different than acting as a maker like getting a diploma, degree, or certificate just informally.

I like the belt system because if you come from a legit training background, it showcase skill, knowledge, and time spent training.

Loads of people who suck have black belts and the black belt just makes them feel legit.

Loads of people who suck have black belts and the black belt just makes them feel legit.

They night not be as good as your expectations but surely would be better than a fraud that just put a BB on and start charging money to teach.

I disagree. Belts needs to mean something. The whole taking away your belt after you earn it because you did x,y,z is stupid. That I agree with.

I know BJJ politics is real, unfortunately it's very childish and immature.

I like the belt system because if you come from a legit training background, it showcase skill, knowledge, and time spent training. It also helps to keep frauds out as well. I don't want to be a fresh, no experience, new guy to martial arts and paying to learn from a fraud, who passes himself off as something he is not!

Belts are really no different than acting as a maker like getting a diploma, degree, or certificate just informally.

Yeah its crazy how wrestling, boxing and mt could survive and even grow as a sport and be within the most efficient MAs by a mile through centuries keeping their students sharp. I guess they also need a belt system to know how good someone is. I mean that is the most important aspect. Having some clothing / diploma (Professor de ...!) to show how good someone is without having sparred him or knowing about his competition record.

PS: Thank good they dont give a fuck about it. I met and meet my fare share of delusional "belters" near every day and have yet to find even one in wrestling. They are 99% down to earth, know what they are capable of and thats it. Nice side bonus the coaches are much less "master" because only reason they are respected is how respectable / competent they are. I could go on but near everyone who has trained on both environments knows about that and the ones who dont will defend it no matter what.

Its 100% a ego, money and authoritarian thing. BJJ would strive the same without any belts and have much less gurus and training shills.

Eddie has created one of the unhealthiest and cult like atmospheres in the BJJ community. If not for EBI, most of their better known grapplers would still be obscure to anyone not from the West Coast. Eddie created an echo chamber where idiots believe the earth is flat. That’s all you need to know really.

Its 100% a ego, money and authoritarian thing. BJJ would strive the same without any belts and have much less gurus and training shills.

I guess it helps with the marketing of the sport.
OTOH the notion that just because you have a black belt you are qualified is utterly ridiculous.
Just look at the bazillions of crap technique deluded black belts put on youtube.
Tiered competition (so that you can compete when starting as an adult against people vaguely near is great). It also gives people who suck and aren't good enough to ever win a competition match something to strive for. If you train enough you can get a black belt even if you never manage to learn BJJ.

Back