Just saw Roman J Israel, Esq: Yep, Denzel is the GOAT

Slippage

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I thought that anyway, but holy shit....to actually see him pull off this character, which is the anthesis of his usual traits as an actor, is kinda mindblowing.

The whole time watching him as this schlumpy, ill-mannered dork this I kept thinking, "this is a Paul Giamatti role". And he's doing Giamatti better than Giamatti. That's some crazy range .Austic, socially awkward and just kinda weird, Roman is a fascinating character.

The film itself is way better than many critcs gave it credit for, imho. Just an interesting and intelligent character study, more than typical oscarbait. Colin Farrell is really damned good in this as well (he's really stepped up lately. I'm now a fan). I'd give the movie itself a B+. But it's really worth watching just to watch Denzel put on an acting clinic. The Oscar nomination was very well deserved.

Last edited:
Denzel Washington is one of the greatest actors of all time.
If I see his name attached to a project in an acting role, I watch.

As far as Best Lead Actor nominations, haven't seen this one, or Call Me By Your Name yet. Seen the rest of them, and so far Gary Oldman was the most impressive.

As far as Best Lead Actor nominations, haven't seen this one, or Call Me By Your Name yet. Seen the rest of them, and so far Gary Oldman was the most impressive.

I'm rooting for Oldman to win (and he will), but I prefer Denzel's performance (Denzel isn't winning anyway, as critics didn't give his movie enough buzz. He got nominated on the strength of his performance and that fact that actors love him, but the deserving nomination is as far as it''ll go). Haven't seen DDL in Phantom Thread yet, but I'm sure he'll be good.

Oldman is overdue and I'll be happy to see him win for all the times he was ignored. But I've seen so many other Churchill performances that allowed for a more nuanced take (like the amazing Albert Finney in The Gathering Storm). Oldman is the reason to watch Darkest Hour, but I wish the script and direction gave his performance room to breathe. Almost every scene is an "oscar scene" with Oldman having to give a big speech, and that can be a bit overwhelming.

I love Denzel, so I'll get around to this movie as soon as i can.

Fences was GREAT, and he should have won something for that.

Back