Just rewatched Lee vs Iaquinta

Wise1

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
and I kind of feel bad for Lee because according to the 10-point-must system, he won that contest.

ROUND 1
Very close round but if you comb through it like I did you will clearly see that Lee lands 1-2 more significant strikes than Al. I literally counted every strike that landed and my differential came out to basically the same as the truck:
3130A06A-8F50-461F-92A8-23655AB375BD.jpeg
Octagon Control and Aggression also clearly went to Lee.
10-9 LEE

ROUND 2
Not much happens until around 3:40 when Lee takes Al down. He keeps him there and lands significantly until around 2:00 where Al escapes and gets back to the feet. Once back up Al just barely lands more than Lee but given the nearly two minutes of control and damage done on the ground you have to give the round to Lee.
10-9 LEE

ROUND 3
Pretty even in the exchanges for the first half of the round but then Lee achieves a bodylock at 2:30, then completes the TD at 1:30 where he almost immediately secures a bodytriangle and attempts to submit Al a few times but to no avail. The round ends with Lee on Al’s back. A solid round for Lee but no where near enough to consider a 10-8.
10-9 LEE

ROUND 4 / ROUND 5
Clear 10-9 scores for Al.

A clear 48-47 decision victory for LEE, it should have been.

However, I don’t care about the point system and I know many agree that it is a flawed system when trying to determine who won a fight. Works great for grading a contest, but a fight is dynamic beyond the scope of such a system. Lee won the contest but Al won the fight.

Diaz vs Condit - Condit won the contest, Diaz won the fight - Judges gave it to Condit.

Gsp vs Hendricks - Gsp won the contest, Hendricks won the fight - Judges gave it to Gsp.

Lee got the shaft and it’s kind of funny but it’s really not when you consider how fu**ing inconsistent these judges are. In case anyone forgot, one of the judges scored it 49-46 for Al...o_O

I was rooting for Al btw.
28C60E52-A564-4EA1-947E-6A622E3B19CD.png

Last edited:
WzcmDmK.png

Al won it.

Than we will have to agree to disagree

There’s no two ways about it dude, if you’re able to go back and watch it again then do. Then come back and tell me with a straight face that you found a way to justify giving it to Al.

Al landed better shots tho .
A clear 48-47 for Al i could see an argument for a 48-46 too

That's not how the 10 point must system works

No. Al could have got 4 of those rounds. Depends how highly you score takedowns with pitter patter punches vs Iaquinta landing much harder punches on their feet. Not all strikes landed are equal. To most of us watching the difference in that area was pretty apparent.

In the end it felt like al won, even watching the fight live i scored it for al all day.right man won

The first round was extremely close. Landing one more strike isn't a guarantee to win the round. Not all significant strikes are equal and to me it seemed like Al landed the harder shots. Again it was close and it's hardly clear cut either way.

Al landed bombs on Kevin Lee. Lee really didn't land much significant.

I disagree on the first round. Overall strikes landed was very close, but Iaquinta landed several strikes that were more consequential than any landed by Lee. Not all strikes score the same. If the overall strike volume is virtually identical, but one guy was landing the far better shots, then the guy who was landing the better shots clearly won the round. Clear 10-9 for Iaquinta.

The 2nd round was the toughest to score IMO and I'd be fine with calling it a 10-10. I gave a slight edge to Lee, but I wouldn't argue against someone if they said Iaquinta or 10-10.

I don't think there's any arguments in rounds 3, 4, and 5. 3 clearly went to Lee and 4 and 5 clearly went to Iaquinta.

I had it 48-47 Iaquinta, but I wouldn't argue against 49-46 Iaquinta. He clearly won the fight and a unanimous decision of two 48-47s and one 49-46 seemed entirely appropriate.

Al lands 1 less strike, sure. But what do you score more: hard counter shots, or long jabs and straights?

Al clearly won that fight. He proved better everywhere. On the feet, and the mat.

Did the judges decision change after you re-watched the fight?

Ive watched it twice, different languages commentary.. You should start a Lee fan club.

Last edited:
Back