Just rewatched Jacare vs Gas

I, too, thought that Jacare did enough to win the 3rd. He won the first round for sure and Gastelum got the 2nd.

Jacare gassed early but kept tagging Kelvin with bombs. I was impressed with both, Jacare’s ability to keep swinging and landing when gassed and Gastelum’s chin.

Hard fought victory for Jacare. Number one bullshit scoring by judges, no surprise there.

I made an thread about this fight, stating exactly that. Just because you look tired, doesn't mean you lose. Jacare won round 1 and 3.

Two reasons i disagree with you OP.

You tried to argue a 10 - 10 round in which one fighter got a legit knockdown. Like he hit jacare so hard jacare landed on his butt. That's an instant 10 - 9, at least.

You call him Gas.

Have you tried to fight for your life for 10 minutes?
Yes, back in high school and I didn't get tired. I'm talking about elite athletes, not an average person like myself. If a top fighter like jacare gets tired after 10 minutes of doing his job, I start to question his professionalism.

Yes, back in high school and I didn't get tired. I'm talking about elite athletes, not an average person like myself. If a top fighter like jacare gets tired after 10 minutes of doing his job, I start to question his professionalism.

Yea these aren't like high school fights. If you really want to feel what it's like try getting into the cage where another man is trying to put your lights out. You will gas so hard and so quickly it will shock you, even if you trained for it. Now add to that the pressure and adrenaline rush of being on the UFC stage.

Yes for pro fighters it should be different because they train for it full time. But they are still human, and some people tend to get tired quicker. Especially bigger guys like jacare.

The point is these fights are very tiring for the body, you have no idea how much just from watching.

This fight was crazy. It was a lot more lopsided than I remember, in favor of Jacare. The judges must've been scoring based on who looked to be the fresher fighter, because Gastelum landed little effective offense on Jacare and all of it was blocked except for the one knockdown in round 2.
Round by round:

Round 1- Jacare grabs the single-leg and struggles for 2 minutes but eventually gets Gas to the ground. Jacare dominates Gastelum on the ground, including sub attempts, control and heavy GnP. Late armbar attempt by Jacare that Gas gets out of. Props to Gastelum for getting out of multiple subs.
10-9 Jacare due to control, heavy GnP, and sub attempts.

Round 2- Jacare looking tired but landing HEAVY shots on Gastelum's non moving brick chin. Gas throwing punches from far but getting blocked by Jacare mostly until the knockdown.
giphy.gif

Jacare goes full zombie-mode and marches down Gas while covering up and winging huge shots that land. Gas obviously using the "I'll use my face to block punches" strategy while giving little offense that lands.
giphy.gif

jacare-vs-gastelum-exchange.gif

10-9 Gastelum or even 10-10 since the knockdown is the only effective strike landed by Gas.

Round 3- Gastelum walking down Jacare, the latter seems to be very tired. Gas throwing punches with his hands low, resulting in constant counters from Jacare.
Jacare-landing.gif

Gas not landing much because of Jacare's high shell-style guard, and Gas circling around. Jacare going for multiple takedown attempts that get stuffed repeatedly, and Jacare sometimes using takedown threats to come over the top to land more big shots. Gas definitely looks to be the fresher fighter, and is able to stuff most takedowns until Jacare is able to land a Judo throw that has Gas on the bottom for a short bit, but Jacare seems to be too tired to keep him down. Jacare landing more big shots until Gas is able to connect at the very end.
10-9 Jacare due to more offense, heavier offense, a takedown, and blocking most punches.

Basically I'm saying that fight was not close based on actual offense and control. Just because you look fresher and have an iron chin doesn't mean you automatically deserve the round.

29-28 Jacare at least
giphy.gif
Interesting. Jacare has another unfortunate loss, against Romero. You can also count the Rockhold fight in Strikeforce if you will.

He’s just a tad bit behind in these fights.

i thought jacare did enough to take round 3. he landed the better shots and hit some great counters.

it was a solid fight so props to gas for gettin the W but i did feel jacare got slighted

What I learned from that fight is that Kelvin is a fat WW with the chin of a LHW. That guy can eat a punch.

sometimes people like you forget the judging criteria.
Even if gases strikes were being blocked.. he was more agressive and walking forward, controling the octagon. Those are the main juding criteria. If its close and the overall strikes are even. The guy who was doing the walking forward wins

Watching it live I thought Jacare took the Decision,
but I wanted Gaseltum to win. So eh not mad at it.

Even if gases strikes were being blocked.. he was more agressive and walking forward, controling the octagon. Those are the main juding criteria. If its close and the overall strikes are even. The guy who was doing the walking forward wins

No. That's one of the dumber takes on the scoring criteria I've ever seen, regardless of the fact that it affirms my position of Jacare winning.

I can see what you're saying, and agree for the most part. Jacare has had some decisions not go his way. I think a factor in this fight was Jacare looking so fucking gassed...I've never seen him that tired before. I'm very wary about his new "team", and how hard they push him. I hope its not a BJ Penn camp type situation.

I'll have to rewatch it, but at the time I remember it was so close, could have been a draw.

I had Kelvin winning. Razor close. Haven’t seen it again/sober.

Nah actually people like you who don't know the judging criteria. I can tell you didn't read my post because I stated several times how I gave rounds to fighters who land ACTUAL offense, not blocked offense. If neither fighter was doing anything, then you'd base it off of who was more active, but Jacare landed hard punches repeatedly through the fight, while most of Gas's punches were blocked.

Back