Just rewatched GSP vs BJ II

Pro MMA fighters confirmed that

Anderson, Fedor, Jones > GSP and it wasn’t close.

Fedor won the last official Sherdog GOAT poll and it wasn’t close.

What’s GSP the GOAT of again?
Shut up, hater!

Good god, if I needed another reminder of just how good prime GSP was, did I ever get one.

This is the greatest technical performance in MMA history. Yes, more so than Anderson - Forrest and Conor - Eddie, because neither Forrest nor Eddie were anywhere near as good as prime motivated BJ Penn; not even close. Plus they were both favourable stylistic matchups while many thought BJ was GSP's kryptonite: god-tier TDD, great chin, pressure boxing, and one of the most effective guards ever.

A lot of people thought BJ won their first fight, and BJ was looking better than he ever had in the three fights leading up to this rematch. In terms of the betting line, it was the closest of any GSP fight in his career since the Hughes rematch, and GSP has been a huge favourite in every fight since then, until he retired in 2013. So a lot of people gave BJ a great chance here, and thought if GSP were to win, it would at least be competitive.

Not the case. Total fucking domination, on the feet and on the ground. Jabbed his face off, sliced through BJ's legendary guard like a hot knife through butter, and watching BJ wincing, helpless on the ground while getting beaten up was pretty sad to watch actually.

Just a random collection of thoughts. GSP is the GOAT, there's not a close second in my opinion.

Edit:
Here's this all-time GOAT gif for ya

MMA's most iconic "No Mas" moment
It was a great fight yes but his closes loss no. If he didnt grease in his rematch heda lost but gsp last fight is why he retired. When he was 170. A controversial decision cant think of the guys name but he out pointed gsp and still lost

great performance.

unfortunately It will always be stained with the stench of grease
and no not better then anderson sorry he knew hed get smoked by prime anderson hed say it over n over n always turn down the super fight

B.J. Penn is also fought in the 145 lb weight division. Every fight B.J. Penn had over the 155 lbs division shows how talented B.J. Penn was to compete with such monsters two or more weight class above his own.

GSP is GOAT and very talented !

Pro MMA fighters confirmed that

Anderson, Fedor, Jones > GSP and it wasn’t close.

Is this where you got that "statistic"?

butt-doctor-illustration-id147058504

An overrated bigger fighter who had to resort in greasing to win, yeah how impressive!

I wouldn't say overrated, but he was always the bigger welterweight (I recall him being 193 for one fight) and he definitely greased for that fight, which is really lame.

I'm both a huge BJ and GSP fan.

I do think BJ did win the first fight.

But GSP absolutely destroyed BJ in the second fight. Masterful performance.

GSP big brothered him so hard, he made BJ his lady that second fight.

Greasegate. What a crock of shit, like BJ ever had any hope of landing a triangle or armbar on GSP.

Meh, he was boring as fuck and decisioned most people (which is basically a fancy draw).

Not even in the GOAT conversation.

Beating a natural FW/LW you outweigh by 20+ pounds and greasing to do it sure is impressive.
Jones beat Rashad, Machida, Chael and Vitor who might be comparable to BJ in the fighting out of wrong weight class debate yet everyone still sucks his dick to no end. And he might have been on steroids when he did it so ......... if anyone ever says that kinda shit about GSP vs BJ or Serra then they have to say it about Jones as well.

Good god, if I needed another reminder of just how good prime GSP was, did I ever get one.

This is the greatest technical performance in MMA history. Yes, more so than Anderson - Forrest and Conor - Eddie, because neither Forrest nor Eddie were anywhere near as good as prime motivated BJ Penn; not even close. Plus they were both favourable stylistic matchups while many thought BJ was GSP's kryptonite: god-tier TDD, great chin, pressure boxing, and one of the most effective guards ever.

A lot of people thought BJ won their first fight, and BJ was looking better than he ever had in the three fights leading up to this rematch. In terms of the betting line, it was the closest of any GSP fight in his career since the Hughes rematch, and GSP has been a huge favourite in every fight since then, until he retired in 2013. So a lot of people gave BJ a great chance here, and thought if GSP were to win, it would at least be competitive.

Not the case. Total fucking domination, on the feet and on the ground. Jabbed his face off, sliced through BJ's legendary guard like a hot knife through butter, and watching BJ wincing, helpless on the ground while getting beaten up was pretty sad to watch actually.

Just a random collection of thoughts. GSP is the GOAT, there's not a close second in my opinion.

Edit:
Here's this all-time GOAT gif for ya

MMA's most iconic "No Mas" moment
Agree with almost everything you posted. GSP and BJ are my two all time favorite fighters, and this era of MMA was by far the greatest.

However, that wasn't a "No Mas" moment. That was a corner stoppage. It was nothing similar to the Duran fight end.

He’s only the GOAT if the G in GOAT stood for Greasiest of All Time.

You sure?

2a94nd4.gif

giphy.gif

I can't find footage of Anderson getting wiped down after he greases whereas consequently, the only footage of GSP "greasing" also shows him being wiped down.

Let me know when you come across it.
687474703a2f2f6934302e74696e797069632e636f6d2f32637a326736712e676966

Back