Just had a bad experience rolling with a bigger, stronger guy

Snolla

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Have you guys ever been hurt by a bigger dude doing some strong man thing and over-cranking a sub? I hit a sweep on this dude who is a blue belt like me but bigger and stronger. After the sweep we landed in side control. I was on top and holding position, then I felt him reach over for a Kimura on me and I was thinking I was ok because I had top pressure, side control. and also never had this next experience. He bench pressed all my weight off of him, flipped me over, cranked the sub, popped my shoulder, and now I'm injured.

I've had similar experiences with bigger dudes where if I mount them, they will bench-press me and flip me over. Pure strength. I know how to post properly, or shift my hips etc... to avoid this kind of thing but it still seems to happen when I'm against people with 20+ pounds on me. I've been working on my strength training this year at the gym in hopes that I can counter some of these tactics, however I'm just not very big or strong naturally so it's hard to close that gap. Discouraging af to have side control on a dude only to have my arm ripped off seconds later in training. I've never injured a training partner in 7 years and this guy is getting a bit of a rep for it within his first year at the club.

1. Get wrecked by blue belt.
2. Cry on a Karate forum.
3. ????
4. Profit!!!

Last edited:
You're a blue belt after 7 years and he's a blue belt within one year?

That's how I tore both my acl's when I was a white belt. I wasn't smart tho and I let my ego get to me.

1. Get wrecked by blue belt.
2. Cry on a Karate forum.
3. ????
4. Profit!!!

Met GZA before. He was a cool guy.

You're a blue belt after 7 years and he's a blue belt within one year?

Ya, I don't train regularly enough. I typically do more kickboxing sessions during the week.

Met GZA before. He was a cool guy.

Ya, I don't train regularly enough. I typically do more kickboxing sessions during the week.
Ok well have an honest self assessment and consider if it's possible this guy is dedicating more time to training and even with fewer chronological years of training, he could be gaining on you in mat hours.
Strong guys who train a lot can get pretty good pretty fast, but they lack the mat maturity that comes from being around for years and recognizing their abilities to injure people.
If he really is injuring people the gym owner should be having a legit conversation with the guy. Sometimes it's just older belts being salty at being caught.

If the guy on bottom gets a kimura and your hand is out of position (e.g. behind your back), you're going to have to roll.

If you fight, something's gonna pop.

Ok well have an honest self assessment and consider if it's possible this guy is dedicating more time to training and even with fewer chronological years of training, he could be gaining on you in mat hours.
Strong guys who train a lot can get pretty good pretty fast, but they lack the mat maturity that comes from being around for years and recognizing their abilities to injure people.
If he really is injuring people the gym owner should be having a legit conversation with the guy. Sometimes it's just older belts being salty at being caught.

We had a Blue belt who was around 50 years old, 6 foot tall and 230 pounds. As an older and larger guy, he found that the White belts were very quickly gaining on him, so he injured a couple. Not anything you could say was on purpose but definitely put them in bad situations and didn't let go if it was in an awkward position and as the higher belt should have recognised that.

We told him if he wanted to go hard the higher belts would gladly take him on, but for some reason he always sat out the rounds where we were available.

We had words with him a few times until we eventually kicked him out of the club, first guy we've ever had to do that too.

Don’t know why everyone is flaming OP.

Anyways if he didn’t give you time to tap, just talk to your instructor.

Don’t know why everyone is flaming OP.

Anyways if he didn’t give you time to tap, just talk to your instructor.

People always flame in the technique forums which is ironic because they claim the heavies are worse. It's the same.
The cardinal sin here is to mention a technique you think your good at or to say you had some kind of success. People on this forum hate the success of others.

I remember I made a thread when I was super happy for getting better at ankle locks and I got flamed to death for "bragging"

He didn't give me the time to tap and I think he just doesn't realize his strength yet because he is still relatively new. I'll talk to him about it next class first.

Give you time to tap?

Is there such thing?

It sounds like your ego need a reality check.

Did we just had a thread about coaches displaying strength over techniques?

Also you got caught in a kimura trap from the bottom?

A technique that has been popular fur the past 8 years at least.

Actually someone did a thread about it and write how bad he fell for injuring his sparring partner .Unfortunately, for this technique to work, you have to commit to it. It does not necessarily means you refuses to give them to tap.

Frankly, I got guys that are the smallest dudes and never complained about training against heaver guys.

Is it not the goal of bjj?

Last edited:
Give you time to tap?

Is there such thing?

It sounds like your ego need a reality check.

Did we just had a thread about coaches displaying strength over techniques?

Also you got caught in a kimura trap from the bottom?

A technique that has been popular fur the past 8 years at least.

Actually someone did a thread about it and write how bad he fell for injuring his sparring partner .Unfortunately, for this technique to work, you have to commit to it. It does not necessarily means you refuses to give them to tap.

Frankly, I got guys that are the smallest dudes and never complained about training against heaver guys.

Is it not the goal of bjj?

Yes there is such a thing. I've never cranked anything or tore any of my training partners in 7 years. The goal for me is to stay healthy and enjoy the training personally. I get tapped every rolling session and it's fine so I don't think I really need to check my ego. That's kind of a cliche thing to say

Have you guys ever been hurt by a bigger dude doing some strong man thing and over-cranking a sub? I hit a sweep on this dude who is a blue belt like me but bigger and stronger. After the sweep we landed in side control. I was on top and holding position, then I felt him reach over for a Kimura on me and I was thinking I was ok because I had top pressure, side control. and also never had this next experience. He bench pressed all my weight off of him, flipped me over, cranked the sub, popped my shoulder, and now I'm injured.

I've had similar experiences with bigger dudes where if I mount them, they will bench-press me and flip me over. Pure strength. I know how to post properly, or shift my hips etc... to avoid this kind of thing but it still seems to happen when I'm against people with 20+ pounds on me. I've been working on my strength training this year at the gym in hopes that I can counter some of these tactics, however I'm just not very big or strong naturally so it's hard to close that gap. Discouraging af to have side control on a dude only to have my arm ripped off seconds later in training. I've never injured a training partner in 7 years and this guy is getting a bit of a rep for it within his first year at the club.
If he is intentionally hurting people tell someone. End of discussion.

Yeah I was literally in the exact same situation , with Kimuras.
I asked him to chill, he didn’t, not out of malice he just didn’t really understand why he can’t just crank as fast as he can to get a tap.

I talked to my coach, he talked to my training partner, we remained friends and never had an issue after that. Still rolled with him plenty too

People doing a quick crank on kimuras is a source of frustration I understand. But don't look at the kimura sweep from bottom side control as just some cheap big guy move though. It will be a detriment to your progression. That is a very powerful grip that needs to be addressed right away (preferably before it is locked on). If someone sweeps you with that, it is your fault for letting them, not God's fault for making you tiny.

sure it’s a legit move.
But it’s still not cool to injure training partners. Don’t know why everyone is giving OP a hard time still.

In normal day to day gym rolls you should always have the opportunity to tap before getting injured.

sure it’s a legit move.
But it’s still not cool to injure training partners. Don’t know why everyone is giving OP a hard time still.

In normal day to day gym rolls you should always have the opportunity to tap before getting injured.

Kimuras are very dangerous, they tore right in the joints, I've tore a ligament in the shoulder in my first week of BJJ.

For injury prevention, it's two ways in my opinion. If you lose control of your arm (grip in your gi/belt or grip with the other hand) you prepare to tap.

When you attack, you can yank it until it goes over the rib cage where there's no chance for him to get back a grip and defend. Afterwards you just put pressure slowly until he taps.

You can be explosive in training, but when you have everything, there's no need to finish with explosion. It's the same thing with armbars, kneebars, americanas, guillotines… IMO only chokes that don't crank the neck can be finished with full power. So you fight like crazy to break all the grips and defenses and to take full control of the position, but you calm down to put the final pressure to finish.

Maybe you won't get some taps from stubborn training partners, but at least you won't be the guy injuring everyone.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be a bigger stronger dude - my knee got absolutely wrecked last month by someone smaller than me forcing my knee back while I was standing, when he was supposed to be doing something completely different.

Back