Just discovered Folk Metal

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
And I like it. :) I'm not much into metal music but I'm glad that I came across it and now I'm off to slay a dragon while listening to Ensiferum.

I love folk metal. Great drinking music, and it always puts me in a good mood!

Wait til you discover Wintersun like I did earlier today

Check these dudes out

My favorite Folk Metal band.

This is always my go to when people ask me about Folk Metal

Isnt this just melodic Death Metal?

And you mentioned Ensiferum. That too just sounds like Amon Amarth which is melodic death metal

Amon Amarth is viking metal. In Flames, At The Gates, Carcass, are melodic death metal. You can't really just label them though, because many mix elements of black metal, death, etc.

Almost exclusively Finnish bands being mentioned here - Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Finntroll...should anyone fancy translations of anything in our languages (Finnish/Swedish), shoot me a PM.

Mind what folkish bands doing how we call humppaa, like Lillmåns' Finntroll or Korpiklaani, being more for a laugh/party than any earnest endeavour. These to my thinking don't peer naturally with outfits such as Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Heorot, Månegarm et cetera.

@Noodles03, give Finnish group Teräsbetoni a listen too.

This is what I think of as folk metal.

Almost exclusively Finnish bands being mentioned here - Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Finntroll...should anyone fancy translations of anything in our languages (Finnish/Swedish), shoot me a PM.

Mind what folkish bands doing how we call humppaa, like Lillmåns' Finntroll or Korpiklaani, being more for a laugh/party than any earnest endeavour. These to my thinking don't peer naturally with outfits such as Moonsorrow, Ensiferum, Heorot, Månegarm et cetera.

@Noodles03, give Finnish group Teräsbetoni a listen too.

The Finns do seem to have a knack for making music to get fucked up and have fun to. Case in point:

For a change of pace though,

The Finns do seem to have a knack for making music to get fucked up and have fun to.
We also create some of the most beautiful music in the world, so all is not giggles and gloom. ;)

<cheer>

Huge Agalloch fan myself; have near all their albums and a few EPs as well. Too bad they broke up last year. They were a very talented American group.

Huge Agalloch fan myself; have near all their albums and a few EPs as well. Too bad they broke up last year. They were a very talented American group.
<2>
I had no idea they broke up. This is probably the worst news I've heard all week, lol. Honestly, they were probably my favorite band back in high school.

Folk metal is good, wholesome and manly fun. Many have started as black metal groups but since found their path in pagan virtues and heroic visions.

I've been obsessively listening to Nokturnal Mortum's Голос Стали lately, like, for a year or so.

One of those perfect songs one could listen to for ever. When I die and go to God I'm so going to harp this stuff to Him for His glory.

Pre game drinking anthem

Edit:

though this is technically pirate metal, they are still folk-ish metal

Last edited:
Back