Just Cause 4 map is 100 square kilometres while JC3 was over 400 MILES

On the bright side, if the map content is there, it cuts down on the commute time.

Hopefully it's just more of quality vs quantity thing. JC3 was huge, but it also had framerate issues. I always have a beast of a system, and I could never get it to run smoothly, not sure how it ran on consoles.

JC2 on the other hand, ran butter smooth for me, and was larger. I felt it had more diverse locations too, but JC3 had bigger set pieces. I'm sure Avalanche has a good reason for shrinking the map size.

I'm pumped for it!

Size of the map is irrelevant. Its what its populated with, activities, missions, and overall amount to do.

No Man's Sky was gigantic, but overall boring as fuck.

Hopefully it's just more of quality vs quantity thing. JC3 was huge, but it also had framerate issues. I always have a beast of a system, and I could never get it to run smoothly, not sure how it ran on consoles.

JC2 on the other hand, ran butter smooth for me, and was larger. I felt it had more diverse locations too, but JC3 had bigger set pieces. I'm sure Avalanche has a good reason for shrinking the map size.

I'm pumped for it!

gtx 1080, i5 6600 and 16 gb ddr4 ram. JC3 runs well enough for me. I get frame drops when lots of physics calculations are needed, like when I start taking a town's chaos objects up, but it never gets too bad. It's mostly smooth. JC2 ran perfect though.

Is bigger really better?

From a gameplay standpoint, does it even matter?

It ain't the size of the map, it's what's in it.

While I loved AC Odyssey, for example, a ton of the map is water.

Fuel was one of the biggest maps in gaming but there was nothing in it.

I think Daggerfall had the largest map in gaming history but it was too much.

I'd love to have a map of just one city with the detail one city actually has. The city I grew up in always felt vast to me, yet is 16 sq.mi. It's the same size as Skyrim but somehow my hometown feels bigger than skyrim, because Skyrim has a lot of nothing in between.

No game has ever made me feel like I was in an actual city. Sure, they nailed the feel, but I want all the alleys, side streets and main roads. The sense of discovery lies there first and foremost.

It's about content. With all the map data Google has, it could create a game based on that and it would be amazing.

That's why I love geocaching. Real maps with location based objectives.

Last edited:
This thread should be deleted if OP isnt going to come back and fix it

I was actually pretty excited about it being a lot smaller. It meant they had to actually fill the world with interesting stuff. JC3's world was boring AF

I think quality over quantity any day.

Witcher 3 is my Bible of games, and the worst part was being the boat diving for treasure. Give me that last expansion pack map over skellige any day.

Also remeber Fallout 76's map is 8x bigger than Fallout 4's map, and everything is 16 x more detailed.

The JC3 map size calculation includes all the water and there's a lot of it (thought the land area is large as well). It also includes the huge barren island with that giant mountain in the northwest section of the map.

Last edited:
The JC3 map size calculation includes all the water and there's a lot of it (thought the land area is large as well). It also includes the huge barren island with that giant mountain in the northwest section of the map.
m3cdFOB.jpg

That's the stuff, though the dlc did populate a few sections that were a bit bare. A good sized area of water off to the west between the large main island and the smaller main western island with a big water base system (though there's plenty of space between the smaller bases and islands in that area), a small sky region between the two smaller main islands with a sky fortress and smaller sky bases and structures (a pretty dense area though), and a new land region/island north of the big island where you get the mech.
Despite the water being part of the map size you need to take air transport to make getting between some far off spots in a decent time if you aren't fast traveling, so the land itself is (as I mentioned) pretty large.

From the gameplay I've seen from a few Youtubers of part 4 (they got early access due to connections with Square-Enix) the map is more dense and varied. Even outside of the sparsely populated water in part 3 the volcano island was pretty barren (had a few secrets like Mjolnir there) and the large island had a decent amount of space where there wasn't much happening.

This is the complete map of JC3 with all the dlc locations.

2quhdh3.png

Back