Jury orders blogger to pay $8.4 million to ex-Army colonel she accused of rape | Page 3

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TidWell, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Organic Damage Alive and ticking inside

Organic Damage
    Plot twist: the kids are the Colonel's

But yeah, I'm not seeing how she expected to come out ahead here? OK, she sees this guy doing well while she's not, and decides in the ultimate display of sour grapes to torpedo his promotion and end his career. And what, he was just going to sit there and take it? Or maybe she was hoping for some hush money?

I can't wrap my head around it.

2. jgarner Black Belt

jgarner
    It is scary because that's the only type of sigma you really don't want associated with your name. Having that sex offender title can get you killed, especially with rape. And once you're accused, people will always look at you funny over it even if you're vindicated in the courts.

GordoBarraBJJ likes this.
  3. BEER Resident Feminist

BEER
    I recently found out that an ex of mine (who I haven't seen in like 4 years? maybe longer?) accused me of hitting her, at some point between us breaking up and last year (when I first heard about it). I'm really glad that she didn't perpetuate the rumor. I never laid a hand on her.

Apparently, she and two other friends were discussing domestic abuse, and the other two girls were talking about abusive boyfriends. I guess she threw my name in because she didn't think I'd ever find out. Except, I'm really close with one of the girls. Have been for the past 3 years. Knowing they're good friends, a certain curiosity couldn't escape me, so at some point last year, I told her I was curious about what my ex said about me after we broke up.

The friend was hesitant to say anything, because she knew there were two sides to the story, but she felt like she'd be betraying her "best friend" if she told me. I prodded a little, and she let on that it was something "kind of dark" and that she wasn't ready to know the truth. A little more prodding, and she told me the allegation. I was flabbergasted, but I could understand her hesitance. It meant that either one of her friends was a liar, or the other was an abuser. But I told her the truth: I had never laid hands on my ex. In fact, the only time there was violence, it was from her end. She slapped me a few times during arguments.

The ex and I have an extensive list of mutual friends, and I'm very happy that no one ever asked me about it. So, I'm assuming she used it as an attention-getting throwaway story in a conversation that she didn't expect would ever get back to me. But I couldn't imagine if I had so many friends hear that I was an abuser. I couldn't fathom the blowback. When I was first told, I was terrified. I was worried that I had friends who knew and never said anything.

I've thought of contacting the ex since then, but never have. I couldn't get out of the friend WHEN the accusation happened. I'd be more willing to contact her and figure out why she would say something like that if it was more recent, but as time goes by, I don't worry about it coming back to bite me.

For a rape accusation? It's like pondering infinity. I can't possibly grasp what that does to a person.

Mike and jgarner like this.
  4. thefirstemporer Overdone and dry!

thefirstemporer
    Dumb bitch has a gofundme up

5. sub_thug Red Belt

sub_thug
    Dude, you won't a soldier who hates wearing a dress uniform as much as I do. I went to my buddy's wedding at West Point earlier this summer, and I must have had at least 6 O-5's and O-6's tell me to take my sunglasses off my forehead and get my hands out of my pockets.

jgarner likes this.
  6. GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

GordoBarraBJJ
    <{jackyeah}>

This needs to happen more and become the norm. Falsely accusing someone can ruin a life even if they're found not guilty your name is always associated with the crime you were accused of.

Mike likes this.
  7. jgarner Black Belt

jgarner

And I feel you on dress uniforms. Hated every second I was in one. Uncomfortable, too delicate, and always involved bullshit. I'll take a nice pair of field cammies any day of the week. Nothing more comfortable than a clean but worn in pair of cammies.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    sub_thug likes this.
  8. HIMBOB Steel Belt

HIMBOB
    Usually they offer some example of how the accusation was provably false.