Jujitsu advice for my daughter...

Yeah. I get the participation medal issue as it is a recurring problem in my country as well.

Kids at school are told that running a race and not winning winning is OK because everyone get a star to participate and you worry that it will make them a no achiever....etc..

It is a hard spot to be as a parent.

The problem with this is that it's half-right, and half truths can be more dangerous than blatant lies.

Teaching kids that winning isn't everything is a positive message. Embracing the possibility that you might lose and that's okay, that what we call failure is really more like learning/feedback/etc, that the only losers are the ones sitting on the sidelines talking shit about those competing when they themselves are afraid to do so because they don't want to be mocked/judged, that the courage to give your all to something whether you win or not is an admirable trait, that putting yourself in these positions where you are vulnerable to the scrutiny of armchair critics without a single fuck to give about their irrelevant criticism....these are all truths that need to be preached. My generation, my dad's generation, my grandfather's generation, etc would all be a lot less fucked up if we had been taught this from the beginning, as opposed to having it rammed down our throats that we're never enough.

But rewarding everyone the same whether they take first or last via participation medals teaches none of these things, the idea that all are equal when they are very obviously not equal doesn't make people emotionally healthier, it makes them delusional. The message shouldn't be "everyone is a winner", it should be "the worst competitor that's ever walked the earth deserves more respect than every armchair critic that doesn't compete all put together". And really, that should be extended to "those who live in such a way to their spirit's content that leaves them open to scrutiny deserve more respect than all combined who sit on the sidelines of life and do the scrutinizing".

Last edited:
My daughter is 6 years old and excelling at BJJ. She has been in gymnastics since she was 18 months old so she's very strong and has been able to overpower older bigger sparring partners.

The problem I'm having is that she is timid. She is competitive but not aggressive by nature. If she would be a little more explosive from the get-go I know she could perform better. Instead she starts out slow and gives her opponents too much advantage from the start. She consistently allows herself to get in dangerous positions at the beginning, she's usually able to power her way out of it but that's not going to happen as she faces stronger more experienced opponents.

What can I say to her to help her understand this shortcoming and fix it? I don't want to come across as being overly critical or make her feel like she's somehow failing...but I just don't know how to go about instilling the idea that she's not performing to the best of her ability.

Advice from any coaches out there, or anyone who has experience with training kids, would be much appreciated.
I can
My daughter is 6 years old and excelling at BJJ. She has been in gymnastics since she was 18 months old so she's very strong and has been able to overpower older bigger sparring partners.

The problem I'm having is that she is timid. She is competitive but not aggressive by nature. If she would be a little more explosive from the get-go I know she could perform better. Instead she starts out slow and gives her opponents too much advantage from the start. She consistently allows herself to get in dangerous positions at the beginning, she's usually able to power her way out of it but that's not going to happen as she faces stronger more experienced opponents.

What can I say to her to help her understand this shortcoming and fix it? I don't want to come across as being overly critical or make her feel like she's somehow failing...but I just don't know how to go about instilling the idea that she's not performing to the best of her ability.

Advice from any coaches out there, or anyone who has experience with training kids, would be much appreciated.
I can feel your agony as a Dad. Your wanting your kid to be successful. All these folks hating you cause she’s 6? I’d rather see a over involved Dad than a dead beat sperm donor. I would tell you to get your kid more attached or buddy buddy with an older, more experienced, competition kid, or group of kids. Then just sit back and let that positive role model (s) influence your kid. Take it from me , you can talk till your blue in face, you can practice for hours and just be frustrating both of you. Or you can find that kid that your kid looks up to and it’ll light a spark that’ll ignite a fire that’ll burn hotter for longer.

I can

I can feel your agony as a Dad. Your wanting your kid to be successful. All these folks hating you cause she’s 6? I’d rather see a over involved Dad than a dead beat sperm donor. I would tell you to get your kid more attached or buddy buddy with an older, more experienced, competition kid, or group of kids. Then just sit back and let that positive role model (s) influence your kid. Take it from me , you can talk till your blue in face, you can practice for hours and just be frustrating both of you. Or you can find that kid that your kid looks up to and it’ll light a spark that’ll ignite a fire that’ll burn hotter for longer.
Why the hell do people think that you are justified being “involved” if you do t want to be a deadbeat

Back