Judokas: Competition level in Judo between Over 100kg and under 100kg

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
Is there tough competition in under 100 kg class than over 100 kg class? I was just wondering, because Fedor for example was number 3 behind Tamerlan Tmenov and Alexander Mikhailin, but it doesn't look like he could win at the highest level or beat the number 1 guy at under 100 kg class either. Is the competition level at under 100 kg tougher than over 100 kg? I guess it's a while back, and perhaps not as relevant now, but figured I'd ask a question if anyone who has been Judo practitioners for a while, and can comment on it!

I don't understand whether you want an answer for the time period of Fedor's judo career, or now...

Present day: definitely u100kg. Over 100kg is ruled by Riner and nobody has come close. The only reason Tushishvili got gold this year was because of Riner's absense.

I don't understand whether you want an answer for the time period of Fedor's judo career, or now...

Present day: definitely u100kg. Over 100kg is ruled by Riner and nobody has come close. The only reason Tushishvili got gold this year was because of Riner's absense.

What about back in 2000's with Tmenov, Mikhalin and Fedor in Russian team in 1998, 1999, 2000

I am glad someone brought up this topic. Everyone thinks about the country of Georgia when they think of Judo, or at least Georgia is often bought up in convo.

Since this thread is about the heavy weights and cruiser weights, I want to mention that Georgia's best athletes at that weight are likely playing rugby which is the second most popular sport in the country after soccer.

Can you imagine these guys switching over to judo?

I am glad someone brought up this topic. Everyone thinks about the country of Georgia when they think of Judo, or at least Georgia is often bought up in convo.

Since this thread is about the heavy weights and cruiser weights, I want to mention that Georgia's best athletes at that weight are likely playing rugby which is the second most popular sport in the country after soccer.

Can you imagine these guys switching over to judo?

They are absolutely fantastic in wrestling too. For a while there back maybe 8 years ago or so it looked like there might be a pretty significant amount of Georgian judokas and wrestlers entering into MMA. It never really panned out though. Zurab Zviadauri was one who was supposed to fight in Japan.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean, you'd think heavyweights are stronger, but is it tougher competition pool below?

Back