Judo will cripple you

VampireMonk said:
It's not just Judo,

ANY contact sport.

combat sports seem to be the worst of the lot.

That's it. Im taking up Kung Fu.

Fist To FACE said:
That's it. Im taking up Kung Fu.
I'm taking up Yellow Bamboo or some other chi-based martial art. After all - if their powers are imaginary, then their injuries would be so too?

........ & I could then just heal myself with my chi, before levitating away using an energy blast from my ass.

judogido said:
I'm taking up Yellow Bamboo or some other chi-based martial art. After all - if their powers are imaginary, then their injuries would be so too?

........ & I could then just heal myself with my chi, before levitating away using an energy blast from my ass.

You wouldn't be making fun of my long time dream to be like bruce lee and convert to Kung-fusim would you?

Fist To FACE said:
You wouldn't be making fun of my long time dream to be like bruce lee and convert to Kung-fusim would you?
I have a policy to never make fun of Upernavikian Kung-Fu'ers.

I do 5 days to 1 now BJJ over Judo because BJJ is so much easier on the body.

I agree that it messes up fingers. All my fingers are jacked now.

how the fuck do you guys keep your fingers healthy?

i see people playing judo and they go HARD on grip breaks.

i have been doing jiujitsu for 5 years ish and been doing spider guard for the last year or so and my fingers are starting to look ugly. it doesnt hurt yet... but the collouses look really fucked up.

i used to play closed guard/ half guard but i kept getting stacked all the time and my neck hurt a lot. now i play spider properly i dont get stacked very often but my fingers are getting jacked

How the fuck, do you necro a 7 year old thread. Simply to say. "i agree it messes up fingers"

Really? lol.

I've only attended 3 Judo classes at my gym and each class I went to I jammed the shit out of one of my big toes. I think it's a real interesting Martial art, but for right now I'm just going to focus on BJJ and MT and hope for the best.

1. Don't try to avoid taking a fall once you're airborne
2. Learn to breakfall well
3. No drop throws

I think this "being crippled" from Judo is entirely preventable.

As I read my way through this thread I thought to myself "Someone is going to bitch that this thread is revived, and someone else is going to say they thought it would be better than starting a new thread".

Frigging sherdog, you are so predictable.

That throw in the 4 second video is brutal. You can't even really break that fall. I've got better things to do than get tossed around like that.

I trained judo in young age. Regards wrestling collegiate wrestling is safe because high amplitude throws are banned but in olympic wrestling you can win the match with 2 high aplitude throws, greco and freestyle are different... :wink:

4 years of Judo.
1 torn ACL and meniscus
2x broken toes

Almost every Judo injury I have ever seen has been from
- Forcing a throw that isn't there (Like my ACL injury from trying to force a reaching O Soto Gari)
- Forcing a counter/defense long past where you're already gone

This is why most of the injuries happen in the lower belts, because just like BJJ white/blue belts they try to fix any gap with gratuitous strength and sometimes end up in bad, bad situations because of it. White to Green is by far the most dangerous time, I find that most senior Browns through Black belts have learned that Randori is Randori and it's not worth 3 months of physical therapy to avoid one throw in practice. This is why you seen 60+ y/o black belts still looking great, because they overcame ego and took the falls they had coming and let go of the throws they were never going to get. They also practice with other black belts and have learned the proper fear of white belts. Seriously, I am more at risk of getting injured with a noob than an Olympian. I don't think I have ever, ever seen an injury from a throw properly performed on a person who accepted it an did their Ukemi.

This is why I CRINGE when I see people who say they only want to find gyms that are laser-focussed on competition and/or they only want to crosstrain to learn 2-3 'high-percentage" techniques for competition. They are falling directly into the win-at-all-costs judo category... and that cost might just be their own body.

Competition in Judo was always supposed to be a supplement to your training to expose you to new opponents and improve yourself. When it becomes about winning and medals, I really think you lose what Judo is supposed to be. Of course then guys like me get called a pussy for saying stuff like that and not going for 100% Randori all the time. Yeah, I'll be that pussy still walking without pain and having a great time on the mats in 3 years.

13759.jpg

Yes I know a few high level judokas constantly fighting for national team spot who are in their late 20s and thinking about retiring.

Couldn't agree more. I had to give up serious Judo shortly after getting my black belt due to two herniated lower back discs, in addition to the constant finger and other joint pain. Judo is the grappling sport that eats is young. I loved it and still do, but damn is it killer on the body. I can do BJJ 5-6 times a week no problem, I could do Judo maybe 1-2 times without accumulating injuries. I teach BJJ standup now, and one of the main things I do is try to minimize the big falls that make Judo so hard on you. It's so fun and beautiful but very brutal.

Back