Judo throw setups

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Paolo Delutis, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Paolo Delutis

Paolo Delutis Yellow Card

Looking to improve my throws, i train in japanese jiujitsu which is the predecessor to judo and bjj..was wondering if any judo guys or fellow japanese jiujitsu can give me some good Jiujitsu/judo throw setups or combos...not how to do the throws so much as the setups you use to land them or get inside.. thanks in advance

dudeguyman likes this.
  2. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

Train judo. Or Sambo. There’s no point to internet advice if you don’t seriously train a stand up takedown art.

Franklegit, ArtemV, backlight and 2 others like this.
  3. EGDM

EGDM Blue Belt

For real. I'm a reformed Aikido black belt (now BJJ brown). I came in "knowing" about a zillion throws and "setups", none of which worked for shit when the rubber met the road. You won't have anything functional without thousands of reps on resisting opponents.

Franklegit and SummerStriker like this.
  4. Paolo Delutis

Lol didnt read my post very well did you..we do judo throws as part of my martial art.. thats where judo got there techniques from.. thats why im asking for setups or cues for throws..im not asking for advice on how to throw or whats a throw..im looking for some pointers on setups or moves guys have used to pull off harai goshis or uchi matas with more regularity..i train at a maximum 3 times a week for japanese jiujitsu and go do bag work and weights outside of JJ sessions

5. Paolo Delutis

I ageee i would be training them with resisting training partners during sparring and grappling matches..so have you found any that seem to work better then others?..

6. dudeguyman

dudeguyman Kosen Ju-Jitsu

Hello jjj brother. I just made a similar post to yours in the standup area.(not on purpose) So keep an eye on that obe for tips. I'll keep peeping at urs to.

7. Paolo Delutis

Great sounds like a plan, brotha thanks for the heads up ill go find it now

8. Bluesbreaker

Bluesbreaker Brown Belt

For something to think about TS, come up with a list of throws and pair some up that go in different directions - eg ko uchi gari/seoi nage. There are countless combinations and some work better than others. But, you might come up with some that work really well.

9. efficientjudo

efficientjudo White Belt

Check out our Channel on Youtube - Efficient judo https://www.youtube.com/c/efficientjudo

We breakdown techniques into: Basics - Set ups - Competitive variations, and we'll be back in the studio next week recording our next batch of content.

Here are some clips showing what we do:

10. Paolo Delutis

Interesting , im aware that most reaping/tripping techniques seem to have some flows to them footwork wise , just wondering if springing and lifting techniques can be woven the same way i will definetly consider your post. Thanks

11. ArtemV

ArtemV Silver Belt

Use a backward technique (ashi-waza for me) to set up a forward throw... and vice versa.. it works! But nowadays, wchampion judoka use techniques from modified grips. Really though, just go to a judo club, they will most likely much better than your aikido club in randori and tachi-waza.

Franklegit likes this.
  12. Paolo Delutis

Aikido club?

13. Russky

Russky Green Belt

Same shit.

TheGZA likes this.
  14. Paolo Delutis

Not really..at all actually.. the only thing they have in common is there both from japan ..thats about it...thanks for coming out though

15. Rdude92

Rdude92 Purple Belt

I've trained judo for 4 years. What you want to do is, after grabbing him, push him aggressively...listen..timing is gold here...push n push till you feel he is going to resist n push back. When that moment comes, enter the harai goshi n execute it.
    Oh yeah I forgot..before you are able to execute this flawlessly, you need to be able to drill in the steps of haraigoshi 1000 times

TheGZA and HangNail like this.
  16. Paolo Delutis

Thanks...will try and keep this in mind for my next sparring sessions ive done it this way during grappling matches , but will try and execute it during some striking and grappling sparring next class..it should work but my only concern is becuase they can strike maybe there less likely to push back but well see thanks ..also i cant be to overly aggressive when pushing as it would open me up to thrown by harai goshi too no?

17. Rdude92

Rdude92 Purple Belt

I think it's better for you to research the YouTube library. It's far better explained there. And there are tons of judo videos of how to make your opponent help you execute the throw.
    What I meant to cover before is, to push him aggresively but for you to stay balanced while doing it AND the goal is to make him resist the push , in such a way, all you have to do in that golden moment is to pull him slightly(it's what you normally do when entering the harai goshi) that will make him lean abit forward losing his firm balance and which will make him easier to be thrown. You only have that moment though to execute the throw, that's why the execution have to be smooth and drilled a 1000 times before during practice.
    Still, I encourage you to check out the videos on YouTube regarding the various ways to set up a judo throw

18. Paolo Delutis

Yeah ive been watching them for awhile now.. just got the forum up to see what ideas roll in..something i havent seen or tried yet

19. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I’ve always wanted to start an Akido school, beat the hell out of my students with BJJ, and pretend that I had mastered Akido. Show some BJJ moves for extra credit, but no unrealistic “rolling” unless with me, when I know I’ll win easily.

20. Paolo Delutis

Aikido?..what does my post have to do with aikido