Judo or BJJ for self defence and exercise?

Since you seem to be concerned about self defense, I would say neither, instead learn boxing.
Boxing + Judo ftw. :)

Excellent manoeuvring, striking, defence, grappling, throwing, fitness and resilience. Oh, and falling well.

Apart from the even more obvious (i.e., don't get into fights, and if you do, bring a gun)... it's probably as much to do with a student's ability to learn, and to put that learning into practice, as it is the art itself (or teacher, for that matter).

When I think self defense, I think of escaping headlocks, chokes, and other holds. Judo doesn't address those situations. A good old school BJJ academy will.

When I think self defense, I think of escaping headlocks, chokes, and other holds. Judo doesn't address those situations. A good old school BJJ academy will.
Lolwut! :rolleyes:

Just keep telling yourself that while you try that on with a Judoka. Good luck!

Maybe it is different for other Judo schools. When I practiced Judo we never addressed specific self defense situations.

Fixed.

P.S. Apologies to ts for the thread derail.

That's not how language works. If it's conventional, and both the speaker and listener understand the meaning of what's being said, it's a successful performance of the language. If a sufficient number of people start using "Ya'll" for second person plural, then that's actually the word.

"Defence" is British/Commonwealth spelling, "defense" is American. Both are equally as valid.

Thanks, I was going to post this as well. It is not wrong to spell defense with a c.

You pro-Judo guys are all missing the most important thing.

If you have good health insurance that would cover a knee surgery or two, do Judo.

If you don't, do BJJ or boxing.

For self defense, any art will do. A high level white belt (in judo, bjj, wrestling, etc) will own any untrained attacker.

In addition, most attackers that are dumb enough to be attacking are not disciplined enough to train. So you'll be fine.

Yep instructor name is kevin snorf hes a very good purple belt under Garth Taylor i think he will get brown soon, Competed at Jiu Jitsu By the Bay last weekend i think, not sure how he did.

We went on a class field trip to Dave Camarillos new gym last week, i love QJJ

he is a black belt in what?

another lassiter jiu jitsu case...

If you have good health insurance that would cover a knee surgery or two, do Judo.

Joining USA judo gives you insurance that covers sport injuries. I'm not aware of any BJJ body that has a parallel plan.

Universal health insurance FTW! :icon_chee

did you even read my post?

it says on his site that he is a black belt,not a purple in bjj...it doesnt say black belt in what are, in quantum jiu jitsu?

the demo on the homepage looks pretty cool, but its just as real world based as WWE.

he should give at least his background imo...

it looks like more jjj than bjj from what Ive read about it.

I think bjj with a good emphasis on standup is the way to go. You get to cover more material such as wrestling and leg locks which would give you more options.

it says on his site that he is a black belt,not a purple in bjj...it doesnt say black belt in what are, in quantum jiu jitsu?

the demo on the homepage looks pretty cool, but its just as real world based as WWE.

he should give at least his background imo...

it looks like more jjj than bjj from what Ive read about it.

go back and read my post, i gave my instructor's BJJ belt rank and lineage. you are talking about the founder of Quantum JuJitsu, but he is not my instructor here in Santa Cruz.

QJJ is a mixed martial arts system, and the grappling portion is mostly BJJ. They/we get solid instruction, a few of my teammates won their divisions at a local comp last month.

Judo. Throws are the way to go. NEVER want to get on the floor if you are not with 5 black belts bros to take care of your back.

i do judo, in the streets concrete is your best friend one judo throw will end it. in the streets its dangerous to lie on your back comfortably like you used to do in the octagon (the street thug may have companions you know..its better to be careful). if the octagon its ok to lie on your back because you only have one enemy and nothing to worry about others

Last edited:
Also, do not forget that if you never trained any Judo throw without the gi on you are better off running for your life. You are better off running either way but do not rely in something you didn't trained.

think there's several guys that posted here that have lost alot of weight doing bjj.
maybe some judo guys can fill u in on weight loss from their experience .

i think either would be fine for help with self defense . as someone else said combination of both will give u a huge advantage against Joe smoe from the block

Back