Judo or BJJ for self defence and exercise?

Slayterrr

White Belt
Reaction score
Which would you knowledgeable people recommend ideally for self defence? I'm assuming exercise will come with good training of both.

I think Judo is probably better offensively, but BJJ will teach you how to defend and escape from all positions. At high levels you're going to smoke anyone who is untrained. I train both, and would consider BJJ+Judo as the perfect combination of grappling arts.

I think Judo is probably better offensively, but BJJ will teach you how to defend and escape from all positions. At high levels you're going to smoke anyone who is untrained. I train both, and would consider BJJ+Judo as the perfect combination of grappling arts.

Jimy "the kid" Hettes!

Jimy "the kid" Hettes!

Yup, one of my favorite fighters at the moment, and he's only a brown and purple in Judo and BJJ respectively. An incredibly well-rounded grappler, and that's what strong Judo and BJJ will make you.

I have always wondered if it is worth while combining Judo and BJJ or BJJ and Wrestling.

I dont do Judo and Ive only been doing BJJ for about two years. Your cardio will get a lot better just from rolling. Anyway I mainly had to comment because like most of Sherdog you couldnt spell defense correctly

Judo is a lot physically harder training, if the Judo class I see sometimes after BJJ is any indication.

I dont do Judo and Ive only been doing BJJ for about two years. Your cardio will get a lot better just from rolling. Anyway I mainly had to comment because like most of Sherdog you couldnt spell defense correctly

"Defence" is British/Commonwealth spelling, "defense" is American. Both are equally as valid.

in my class we have a a student who is a Judo black belt and has trained for 15 years. He is a white belt in BJJ. The high level BJJ guys just pull guard on him and school him on the ground. Against lower level guys the Judo guy just throws them down into a submission. When he starts getting to a higher level in BJJ the guy will be a monster.

I am only speculating but I would think that if an individual was attacked in the street Judo might work better than BJJ ??? A friend of mine who is a Judo black belt was punched in the nose unexpectedly while waiting for the C-Train and instantly he grabbed the guy and threw him onto the concrete. He said his body just reacted and he didn't even think for a second.

I would say that training both Judo and BJJ would make you a tough fight for anybody. I currently train BJJ and when I spar with someone who has trained in both Judo and BJJ I usually stand no chance ...

I have limited experience with Judo (~2 years) and have been doing BJJ for almost 3. I believe BJJ is the best option for self defense for someone with no martial arts experience. Being proficient in Judo, even against and untrained opponent is very difficult.

The only thing you have to make sure of is that the BJJ school that you choose actually teaches self defense. Plus, any decent BJJ school will show you some Judo, but it will be at a very rudimentary level.

Edit: I've done some crazy circuit training warm ups in BJJ, but nothing has tested my mental strength/cardio more than some hard Judo randori. Both will get you in shape.. I just felt like adding that little tidbit

I train Quantum Jujitsu which has split days for judo and BJJ... I can't imagine training one without the other. They are both great exercise and self-defense. Most of the techniques overlap.

Remember BJJ = Basically Just Judo

I train Quantum Jujitsu which has split days for judo and BJJ... I can't imagine training one without the other. They are both great exercise

Is the head instructor actually ranked in BJJ?

Not trying to start a bashing thread on Q.J. It's just because I have seen the demo videos of the head instructor and it made me a bit curious about the program.

That depends on whether you take a prescriptivist view of language; I don't. Many languages have redundant grammatical features. In Norwegian and Danish, for example, you have two markers of definite article in the definite of nouns when using an adjective: den store hunden/de store hundene, when you could relay the same information by saying store hunden/hundene (one marker of def. art.). In written French you have redundant grammatical information in the construction ne [...] pas. Not necessarily bad or incorrect; just a linguistic oddity.

Not trying to start a bashing thread on Q.J. It's just because I have seen the demo videos of the head instructor and it made me a bit curious about the program.

SENSEI JEREMY CORBELL

It just says he has a black belt in "Jujitsu".

Last edited:

Yep instructor name is kevin snorf hes a very good purple belt under Garth Taylor i think he will get brown soon, Competed at Jiu Jitsu By the Bay last weekend i think, not sure how he did.

We went on a class field trip to Dave Camarillos new gym last week, i love QJJ

It doesn't matter

A judoka has good enough grappling to sub the average person

A BJJ artist has good enough takedowns to take down an average person

This shit has been done to death.

Since you seem to be concerned about self defense, I would say neither, instead learn boxing. I wouldn't want to end on the ground if some asshole wants to attack me.

However, as far as grappling goes, I would say that judo is more appropriate, as it will give you a better edge standing, because you will have a better balance to *not end up on the floor*.

Back