Judo or BJJ for 29 year old beginner?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to have my training payed for a full term and always had a fascination for the grappling arts.

I would describe myself as a tall, skinny, dude with a strong grip and above average athleticism. I hold no real preference for either one, but constant judo slamming does seem a bit repetitive. that's my perception of it anyway. BJJ appears richer, though a bit skinny on the TD's...

Which is a better first pick?

Last edited:
BBJ. Why would you do Judo? No one thinks that is better.

Takedowns aren’t that great without a GI. They look cool though:

If they had NoGi judo that would be a different story.

Last edited:
I'll ask like this : Who is better at their "weak point": a Judoka at newaza or a BJJ at takedowns?

I have an opportunity to have my training payed for a full term and always had a fascination for the grappling arts.

I would describe myself as a tall, skinny, dude with a strong grip and above average athleticisim. I hold no real preference for either one, but constant judo slamming does seem a bit repetitive. that's my perception of it anyway. BJJ appears richer, though a bit skinny on the TD's...

Which is a better first pick?

Judo was harder for me and more painful, and I didn't actually enjoy it that much. But that's just me.

Judo was harder for me and more painful, and I didn't actually enjoy it that much. But that's just me.

Do you think I can get into BJJ fairly quickly? To have some sense of what I'm doing and feel that I'm making progress? To at least make them sweat for it a little bit? Anything tangible.

It says on the website that GI is optional. How is that possible if most if not all are in their GI:s 95% of the time? Can you mix a non gi dude with a gi dude?

Do you think I can get into BJJ fairly quickly? To have some sense of what I'm doing and feel that I'm making progress? To at least make them sweat for it a little bit? Anything tangible.

Took me like a year and a half to 'get it'. When i say 'get it' i mean very basic guard retention, sweeping, sub defense and guard passing. Took me another year or so for me to start actually tapping people. Its not about getting it quickly, it's about enjoying the journey. Take it seriously, but not so serious that you get frustrated and don't enjoy yourself

I am convinced that this "Irresponsible Dad" is a troll.. or just an idiot

Try both. It takes a while to get into either sport. But both are really fun and worth it. Judo is really tiring with standing up grappling, but BJJ will make you just as tired with having someone's weight on you for more than 4 mins at a time.

I am convinced that this "Irresponsible Dad" is a troll.. or just an idiot

Try both. It takes a while to get into either sport. But both are really fun and worth it. Judo is really tiring with standing up grappling, but BJJ will make you just as tired with having someone's weight on you for more than 4 mins at a time.

Is the newaza I will be getting in Judo somewhat satisfactory or is it barely scratching the surface?

Can't say I've ever really enjoyed Judo, but obviously some people love it. And to be fair, I've done very, very little of it.

I prefer BJJ because it's essentially infinite. I really enjoy the flow of it all and always having something new to learn.

From what I've heard, a lot of Judoka's really focus on like five major throws and relentlessly drill them. Of course, there are many, many details in all those moves, and there's a lot of misdirection work and set ups to explore, but BJJ seems more varied to me.

But again, I've done exactly fuck all Judo, so could very well be taking out my ass.

Is the newaza I will be getting in Judo somewhat satisfactory or is it barely scratching the surface?
Judo is good at attacking from turtles. Going for chokes and armlocks only... and no guillotines. You will most likely get taught very basic guard passes (which in my opinion, don't work against somebody who knows what guard is; eg, BJJ practitioners), armlocks (mostly armbars from different positions, some americanas/maybe kimuras and straight armlocks), some basic defense from submissions and guard passes, some work from half guard, sweeps into osaekomi (hold downs/pins (which are really basic)).

If you want a good overall ground game, go for BJJ. Judo just has a good ground game for the rules it uses, nothing more.

I love judo, but I would go for BJJ and to look around if anybody will go over some takedowns (former wrestlers/judoka).

Bjj no doubt, the learning curve is way smaller, it’s way funner, and you don’t get injured as much. If you were 10 eata younger I would say do both or judo alone would’ve been alright... I started at your age, 9 years later I’m still here I had a blast so far...

BJJ, a lot of clubs will teach some judo takedowns anyways, plus some BJJ blackbelts these days are also judo black belts

I think a lot of your questions will be immediately answered once you check out a class at all your local judo and BJJ schools. It's a lot like dating. Some girl might look great on paper. Then you meet her in person and you just don't click at all. After dating a few girls you'll start to figure out what you can put up with and what are dealbreakers.

Maybe you can't do long distance relationships (gym is too far). Maybe you have a problem understanding your gf because she has a very thick, Portuguese accent (this is actually a dealbreaker for me). Maybe you prefer a girl who is more conservative in the way she dresses (nogi). Hell, you may date women for a while only to realize your gay (I've done BJJ for years but all I want to do now is wrestle...bad example). You can whore around and just do one class but I think it takes a little longer to really get a feel for her.

I'm being facetious but you get the point. Punch those digits and set up some dates instead of trying to figure out in your head who the perfect girl is. You may find yourself liking someone you never thought you'd be into.

I wouldn’t over think it, I started BJJ at 29, it’s not a big deal

You serious? A judoka wouldn't slam you (a BJJ) to the ground if you had your shirt off?
lol about half of the throws or more go out the window without the use of the lapel and sleeves judo is a sport like gi jiu jitsu it takes a longgg time i think to get good throws without a gi

i think bjj is the best art to learn today as it has evolved back n the day people use to say there leg locks wernt as good so go to sambo/catch guys for legs now bjj guys have developed a even more complex system than them only thing is i feel a lot of guys at top levels today really neglect takedowns but that just depends on the type of gym

BJJ, a lot of clubs will teach some judo takedowns anyways, plus some BJJ blackbelts these days are also judo black belts

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are two BJJ takedowns that all clubs teach and those are: "the bear hug" and basic trips. Is there anyone I left out? Slamming is illegal.

What attracts me to BJJ more than Judo is this curiousity whether I have an aptitude to chock necks and armbar. I already know that I have a natural affinity to wrestling, so maybe BJJ expands my horizon more in that regard?

I just wonder how long until I know that BJJ is my thing or not

Back