"Judge Not the Fallen Warrior" (Article on Boxing media ignoring Adonis Stevenson)

What is there to say? The injury was reported and he's still in a coma.

What is there to say? The injury was reported and he's still in a coma.

There's a lot to say. It's not just about reporting the facts of the news-which are acknowledged in the article as slow-moving-but a lack of widespread attention, support, and conversation around it. This is an elite fighter struggling for his life. If this were another kind of fighter, even another kind of athlete or celebrity, the news reporters of that sport would be much more attentive, and show much more support. It should have widespread coverage, at least in boxing media, yet boxing television coverage is not mentioning it, and news outlets seem to have forgotten it happened. If you think that's normal or acceptable than I disagree. The indifference is unusual and unfortunate.

Yes there is an elite fighter on life support who may or may not die. Does it change the fact he was an absolute piece of shit for most of his life? No it does not.
The indifference is in your mind champ, it's been reported everywhere, even in mainstream newspapers in Australia where the average punter doesn't know anyone other than Anthony Mundine and Jeff Horn. He's in a coma, nothing has changed so what do you want? Daily updates on his coma?

There's a lot to say. It's not just about reporting the facts of the news-which are acknowledged in the article as slow-moving-but a lack of widespread attention, support, and conversation around it. This is an elite fighter struggling for his life. If this were another kind of fighter, even another kind of athlete or celebrity, the news reporters of that sport would be much more attentive, and show much more support. It should have widespread coverage, at least in boxing media, yet boxing television coverage is not mentioning it, and news outlets seem to have forgotten it happened. If you think that's normal or acceptable than I disagree. The indifference is unusual and unfortunate.
Bravo to the press for not hanging over him like ghouls, IMO.

It’s actually gotten more attention in Canada than I thought it would. I expected it to be completely ignored by Toronto papers but the Star has an article and so did the Sun.

Its not like the guy took a sustained beating, and it’s not as though he’s had a career filled with wars.

It’s also not as if Gvozdyk is a hellacious puncher either. Stevenson was getting long in the tooth, but apart from that what would have led anybody to call the fight?

As fucked as it is, as long as fighting exists, these types of things WILL happen once in a while.

I’ve never been a fan of the man or the fighter, but as a lover of the sport I do hope that he pulls through.

I think you are leaving out a key factor in the Adonis situation, and that is his past.

You bring attention to Adonis, and you bring attention to his past. You try to bring attention to his current situation, and you bring attention from those saying he deserves it (or worse).

On behalf of the Stevenson family, the hospital also issued a statement.

"Mr. Stevenson's family thanks supporters for their many messages of empathy and support over the past few days," the statement said. "They want to be at the bedside of Mr. Stevenson and ask everyone to respect their privacy. As agreed with Mr. Stevenson's family, please note that no further comments will be made."

Hey all. I wrote this up after I noticed the collective silence on Stevenson's condition. Is it a case of writers and fans not caring because of his criminal history, or just indifference to this kind of tragic story in general? Please let me know what you think and your feelings on the issue.

https://othboxing.com/2018/12/12/ju...-following-adonis-stevensons-hospitalization/

I don’t know dude, I think proper fans accept the dangers of the sport and are rooting for him. My thoughts go to him and his family. I know personally the impact of brain injuries and really hope he comes out of this with most of not all of his faculties

I think there’s some hypocrisy around Stevenson. Yeah he’s been an orrible c@nt in the past, but so have many other fighters who get a pass from the fans. We all do it! But I’d never wish serious injury on any professional boxer.

Stephenson also knocked out Tony Bellew, so I’ll always be a fan

I think you are leaving out a key factor in the Adonis situation, and that is his past.

You bring attention to Adonis, and you bring attention to his past. You try to bring attention to his current situation, and you bring attention from those saying he deserves it (or worse).

Did you not read the article where I mention the victims multiple times?

I don’t know dude, I think proper fans accept the dangers of the sport and are rooting for him. My thoughts go to him and his family. I know personally the impact of brain injuries and really hope he comes out of this with most of not all of his faculties

I think there’s some hypocrisy around Stevenson. Yeah he’s been an orrible c@nt in the past, but so have many other fighters who get a pass from the fans. We all do it! But I’d never wish serious injury on any professional boxer.

Stephenson also knocked out Tony Bellew, so I’ll always be a fan

I think that's a great point too, so so many celebrated ATG"s are remembered fondly and celebrated, even pitied and mourned, who have done things just as bad or worse. As I wrote, you don't have to weep for him, but what happened to him could happen to anyone. If he's good enough for you to watch, he's important enough to show support.

Did you not read the article where I mention the victims multiple times?
You asked a question and I answered.

Is it a case of writers and fans not caring because of his criminal history, or just indifference to this kind of tragic story in general?

Hey all. I wrote this up after I noticed the collective silence on Stevenson's condition. Is it a case of writers and fans not caring because of his criminal history, or just indifference to this kind of tragic story in general? Please let me know what you think and your feelings on the issue.

https://othboxing.com/2018/12/12/ju...-following-adonis-stevensons-hospitalization/
you got a clean nice looking Blog there.

but as far as the Adonis issue, people are not talking about it much because in these cases when the family and hospital request privacy in tough times people tend to lay off.

That is why they said keep Adonis in your thoughts and prayers, and they wanted positive vibes thats the most you can do at this time man just wish and hope for the best and let them have peace in these trying times

if there is a positive update it will be shared.

You asked a question and I answered.

True enough, though I think the implication that the question asked to consider the many factors laid out was fairly obvious.

Back