Juan Manuel Marquez retires

It has always been a pleasure watching the legendary JMM in action.

Congrats champ....

It's refreshing to see more legends retire off into the sunset still with their wits and dignity, rather retiring broke or on the canvas after being KTFO by a fighter they would have killed in his prime

Congrats champ....

It's refreshing to see more legends retire off into the sunset still with their wits and dignity, rather retiring broke or on the canvas after being KTFO by a fighter they would have killed in his prime
Juan's problem was that he thought by beating Pacquiao, he absorbed his popularity and bargaining power. He was calling out Cotto, demanding the MW champ cut down to 147. Too bad too, I think that would have been a great matchup.

Honestly, I thought he was looking like shit in his last couple of fights. Going life and death with Mike Alvarado was a clue that he probably shouldn't be campaigning against guys like Keith Thurman.

People talk about that Bradley fight like it was a great thing too but he looked bad there as well. Peg legged, slow reflexes.

Juan's problem was that he thought by beating Pacquiao, he absorbed his popularity and bargaining power. He was calling out Cotto, demanding the MW champ cut down to 147. Too bad too, I think that would have been a great matchup.

Honestly, I thought he was looking like shit in his last couple of fights. Going life and death with Mike Alvarado was a clue that he probably shouldn't be campaigning against guys like Keith Thurman.

People talk about that Bradley fight like it was a great thing too but he looked bad there as well. Peg legged, slow reflexes.

Agree pretty much with everything here...

I was bummed to see the cotto fight fall through...

And in his prime he would have picked apart , possibly stop Keith Thurman.

Now...thurman would probably be just too much...

Porter would swarm him for a UD.

Spence would kill him..

He did look a tad bit slow against Bradley.

I still think now, he would give many fighters problems...

I just don't want him to sully his legacy by getting stopped and humiliated numerous times like so many great fighters do...
Like RJJ now...

Legend and one of the greatest counter punchers Ive ever seen.

I actually thought he retired a couple years ago.

This is the right move. Great career. He doesn't need to be Jeff Horned by some no name/up and comer.

He was really fun to watch.

Too bad we never got to see JMM against Erik Morales. How do you think the fight would have gone?

He probably (maybe) gave the fans more exciting high level wars in the last decade than any other fighter imo

He probably (maybe) gave the fans more exciting high level wars in the last decade than any other fighter imo

YES!

For a guy who was derided as boring early in his career he gave us war after war.

@Seano , RE: the "projected" Cotto fight. He was always fuckin' stupid about money. Remember, when, after going life & death with Pac the first time (who had just fucked Barrera, so was riding high), he bollocked around with money for so long he ended up accepting like thirty grand to go to Indonesia to fight Chris John (& get robbed)?

Great fighter, though. & immaculately—immaculately—groomed facial hair.

There's room on the sexy bandwagon.

D'you know, when I saw the second Richard WIlliams fight live, so always liked him & followed his career, despite his awful tripping over his own feet footwork (all those flash off-balance knockdowns).

But I can soberly judge his career now, as he's safely retired. A man-crush to me is more like a summer fling, flirtatious & fun, & is best practiced on guys who are currently active & may just surprise you by breaking your heart by losing to someone they shouldn't.

Disclaimer: massive man-crush on Jhonny Gonzalez (who should also call it quits), for the above reasons.

Surpised at this, i thought he retired a few years ago

Superb fighter, but as he moved up the weights he seemed a little bit 'artificial' for me...

He ended up looking liking something from WWE towards the end of his career

Surpised at this, i thought he retired a few years ago

Superb fighter, but as he moved up the weights he seemed a little bit 'artificial' for me...

He ended up looking liking something from WWE towards the end of his career

Especially when he took Pacman's soul, I said to my cousin "he looks like a Mexican Superman out there, he's on some shit"

Whatever stops him drinking his own piss is fine by me....
But piss drinker or not, the guys a legend !

Some of the combinations he strewed together were amazing to watch.

Glad to see him go out the right way. With his wits. Not only a great counterpuncher but could just as easily go offensive and not have a problem. The 3rd greatest boxing IQ of this generation. Dude could watch you for a couple rounds than pick you apart with everything you try. Baby Bull fight is a perfect example.

JMM-Juan Diaz 1 along with EVERY Pac fight were legendary, among several others. He was truly a beautiful boxer, the way he moved, his technique, his counters and combinations were possibly the best of all time (that is not easy to unload those counter combos, Marquez just made it look easy). Shout out to Nacho for teaching him and Rafa the way to box the way they did, as well. Also shout out to JMM's trademark, exploding those speedbags.

Great career, Champ. It was a pleasure.

Back