Juan Manuel Marquez retires

Seano

Hands of bone
@plutonium
Reaction score
On a day when former heavyweight king Wladimir Klitschko announced his retirement from the sport, another legendary fighter is going to walk away from the ring.

According to ESPN Deportes, former four division world champion, Juan Manuel Marquez, one of the greatest Mexican boxers of all time, is going to announce his retirement from professional boxing at the age of 43 years and 11 months.

Marquez is ending a career that began on May 29, 1993, and in a few more years he will find himself in the International Boxing Hall of Fame

Glad to hear this. He wasn't going to accomplish much more.

http://www.boxingscene.com/juan-manuel-marquez-retire-boxing--119152

Good for him. Hell of a boxer and warrior.

I almost feel old because this is the generation I grew up watching, Marquez, Klitschko, Pac, Mayweather. All of those fighters may retire this year.

I almost feel old because this is the generation I grew up watching, Marquez, Klitschko, Pac, Mayweather. All of those fighters may retire this year.

Goddamnit your'e right. I started posting here as a youngin, now the kids are coming up in the game and my idols are retiring b/c they're too old. I'm not feeling too young anymore, either.

Congrats to JMM on a great career. Glad he got out before he took too much damage. The greatest fighter to get knocked down in every one of his fights, mostly coming back to win.

Good news. I was a bit worried when Cotto/Marquez was rumored awhile back as that's not the way Marquez needs to go out.

He's a legit first ballot hall of famer that has nothing more to prove. Though sports casuals will remember Pacquiao more, JMM will be remembered by most hardcore boxing fans and sports historians as being superior. One of my all time favorites.

Another fighter doing the right thing and calling it quits on a great career before it ruins them. Bravo Sir!

It would be easy to cash in on a final Pacman fight and probably easy to win considering he looked like shit against Horn but leaving now is the best thing to do. Enjoy your fortune and your legacy and thanks for all the incredible wins and losses.

He's a legit first ballot hall of famer that has nothing more to prove. Though sports casuals will remember Pacquiao more, JMM will be remembered by most hardcore boxing fans and sports historians as being superior. One of my all time favorites.

Marquez got the better of their fight series, but that doesn't make him a greater fighter. They're both truly great, but he doesn't have Pac's resume.​

My favorite fighter and one of Mexico's very best. Congrats Campeon.

My favourite fighter for many, many years. I'd watched a bit of him (such as the Medina & Peden fights) before so I admired him anyway, but SKY showed JMM-Pac I on tape delay on the Sunday morning after their fight, & watching those two go at it like that made me fall in love, a little bit. So glad he's getting out with some money & his marble intact.

For all his sublime technical skills—the unlikely, full-force combinations, the sudden body-shots with no tell, the venom he got on his shots from his footwork, his immaculately-groomed facial hair—the best of him is probably summed up by an old mate, who texted me after the Katsidis fight:

"What a fighter that man is!"

Adios, campeon. I officially have to find a new man-crush.

My favourite fighter for many, many years. I'd watched a bit of him (such as the Medina & Peden fights) before so I admired him anyway, but SKY showed JMM-Pac I on tape delay on the Sunday morning after their fight, & watching those two go at it like that made me fall in love, a little bit. So glad he's getting out with some money & his marble intact.

For all his sublime technical skills—the unlikely, full-force combinations, the sudden body-shots with no tell, the venom he got on his shots from his footwork, his immaculately-groomed facial hair—the best of him is probably summed up by an old mate, who texted me after the Katsidis fight:

"What a fighter that man is!"

Adios, campeon. I officially have to find a new man-crush.
There's room on the sexy bandwagon.

One of the most aesthetic styles of his generation, in my opinion. I always enjoyed watching him fight, and somehow he always made it interesting. Even his fight with Alvarado is a great watch, and has one of my favorite knockdowns. Marquez is a warrior in every sense of the word.

200.gif

Nobody will remember JMM as being superior to Pacquiao except his most loyal fans and Pacquiao haters.

Didn't expect this

He's 43 and hasn't fought in over 3 years, it is probably best for his health that he does not jump back in there at this point even if he can still knock off some top 20ish guys.

True legend. I love me some JMM. Best combination puncher I've ever seen. Thanks for the memories champ. Deserves the mantle as the best fighter to ever come out of Mexico IMO. Yes, over Chavez.

Back