Ju Jitsu in fight scenes

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What do you think of some of the stuff you tend to see out there?

It seems like there’s still a fair bit of “Kung Fu” “chi na” grappling and Aikido out there.

There’s also a lot of tae kwon do in fight scenes.

Do you want to see more ju jitsu in fight scenes or do you want to keep it separate from your hobby?

Also how much boot camp training do you think an actor should have before a fight scene?

I remember Channing Tatum did a “triangle” in a fight scene in “fighting” that was clearly in the shape of a diamond.

Mel Gibson, Lethal Weapon, not very much by the looks of it.
End thread

Mel Gibson, Lethal Weapon, not very much by the looks of it.
End thread

Not sure what you are saying?

Are you saying you can only think of one fight scene?

If so you are sorely mistaken, it is very much on the up.

If you can do dynamic moves like flying arm bars and quick submissions to keep the action flowing, something like John Wick, then I think it works.

No one, including me — a jiu jitsu nerd, wants to see two guys trying to pass each other’s guard for 5 minutes and win by advantage because you attempted a sweep. That would be the most boring movie ever.

Edit: to=two

Last edited:
God of War 4 has plenty of jiu-jitsu in the cut scenes between Kratos and Baldur.

Not sure what you are saying?

Are you saying you can only think of one fight scene?

If so you are sorely mistaken, it is very much on the up.
I’m saying it’s the only one that counts

T'Challa did a rear triangle in Black Panther, and the way he went about struck me as something that would only work against totally clueless opponents.

Actors don't need to train for it, but technical advisors or fight choreographers need to know a little more. Actually, they don't. Most people have no idea what they're watching anyway.

Rnc are always on screen, funny enough most of the time the defender scapes lol

I know Rorion Gracie choreographed some of the fighting for Lethal Weapon. Donnie Yen also used some jiu-jitsu in Flashpoint if I remember right.

It doesn't matter what moves they're doing since it is going to be filmed on a hand camera from three feet away while the camera man does burpees.

God of War 4 has plenty of jiu-jitsu in the cut scenes between Kratos and Baldur.
If we are gonna mention video games, I would like to include Arkham series, where Batman uses arm and leglocks as finishing moves.

T'Challa did a rear triangle in Black Panther, and the way he went about struck me as something that would only work against totally clueless opponents.

Actors don't need to train for it, but technical advisors or fight choreographers need to know a little more. Actually, they don't. Most people have no idea what they're watching anyway.

This and also both Spiderman and Black Widow have jumped to closed guard a couple times... I think I saw Widow omoplata someone.

It's a good fighting style choice for female characters and imho for T'Challa because he is a more evenhanded reasonable guy, thus "the gentle art."

This and also both Spiderman and Black Widow have jumped to closed guard a couple times... I think I saw Widow omoplata someone.

It's a good fighting style choice for female characters and imho for T'Challa because he is a more evenhanded reasonable guy, thus "the gentle art."
Any fight scene with Black Widow involves some awful grappling that would never work IRL. But hey, it's Hollywood.

Paul Walker in 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Not a live action, but i was impressed with Attack on Titan 2. Triangle --> armbar in one of the titan fight scenes

I like it. Movies aren’t supposed to be realistic. That’s like stand up fighters complaining that none of Jackie Chan’s moves are realistic.

Show a grappling move and make it as fancy and non realistic as you like, idc

Paul Walker in 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Not a live action, but i was impressed with Attack on Titan 2. Triangle --> armbar in one of the titan fight scenes
Paul Walker used it frequently in his fight scenes.

Back