JRE MMA Show #11 with John Danaher *live now!

FWIW Danaher is brilliant, and that's rarely a quality that cultivates the ability to engage socially. If he comes off as condescending, it's likely to me that it's because he's been a teacher all his life. It might be hard for him to turn that off, especially when discussing his area of expertise. I don't hold it against him, rather, I try to get past it and listen to what he is actually trying to communicate and I'm rarely disappointed in having made the effort.

Sensei is a more general term for any kind of teacher, otherwise, no difference.

Just realised half my post disappeared...

A lot of teachers insist on being called professor. Based on this, a lot of teachers insist on being called sensei/professor.

On another note, did Danaher actually complete his PhD?

A lot of teachers insist on being called professor. Based on this, a lot of teachers insist on being called sensei/professor.

Not according to this:
"Born in New Zealand John Danaher started grappling late in life (28) in New York City. He was working his way through grad school (later finishing a Masters Degree in Philosophy at Columbia University) working part-time as a club bouncer, while lifting weights to stay fit while weighing around 250lbs (113kg) at the time of his first jiu jitsu experience."
https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/john-danaher

When he accompanied GSP to the Espys (black tie), he showed up in a rashguard and almost got thrown out.

What the fuck is that? It's so completely weird, like psychotic weird. You get invited to a wedding or black tie event, you wear a suit, end of. It's disrespectful not to. Like I said, I'm calling lycra fetish.

What the fuck is that? It's so completely weird, like psychotic weird. You get invited to a wedding or black tie event, you wear a suit, end of. It's disrespectful not to. Like I said, I'm calling lycra fetish.

I don't think it's something one would be able to beat it out of him.

I do wonder though if it's at a point where he's living out the gimmick re: rash guards. IE people expect him to be the rash guard guy, so he's being the rash guard guy

I don't think it's something one would be able to beat it out of him.

I do wonder though if it's at a point where he's living out the gimmick re: rash guards. IE people expect him to be the rash guard guy, so he's being the rash guard guy

He made a long post on instagram "explaining" why he wears the rashguards. In a numbered fashion of course.

He made a long post on instagram "explaining" why he wears the rashguards. In a numbered fashion of course.

I'm sure we've all heard/read all about it through the years. Again he could just be living the gimmick. Who knows the man could go home and change into jeans and a tshirt.

There are way better gimmicks to live out though. Ric Flair comes to mind lol.

You are right in that his understanding on the Gordon/Cyborg match was minimal. Way I see it, his job is to get a general message out as quick as possible. It's different to say, the breakdowns Dan Hardy provides.

I think you're generally right there - I think Joe, while he is probably more aware of what's going on in BJJ than most give him credit for, I think he probably doesn't go balls deep into non-MMA related BJJ as much as some BJJ players go. I would not have expected him to know the intricate details of that match.

That being said, and despite what many people here will or would say, I'm willing to bet most people watching that match didn't have as deep an understanding as they would have you believe. I put myself in that category. I've been training a long time. Years of Judo and have a purple in BJJ - I did not realize how much I hadn't understood in that match until Danaher's breakdown. That was really great and I learned a ton.

I also enjoyed his breakdown of why leglocks were looked down upon in BJJ for so long. I knew a lot of what he said already, but he added some thoughts that gave me a different perspective. Really great show over-all!

I think you're generally right there - I think Joe, while he is probably more aware of what's going on in BJJ than most give him credit for, I think he probably doesn't go balls deep into non-MMA related BJJ as much as some BJJ players go. I would not have expected him to know the intricate details of that match.

That being said, and despite what many people here will or would say, I'm willing to bet most people watching that match didn't have as deep an understanding as they would have you believe. I put myself in that category. I've been training a long time. Years of Judo and have a purple in BJJ - I did not realize how much I hadn't understood in that match until Danaher's breakdown. That was really great and I learned a ton.

I also enjoyed his breakdown of why leglocks were looked down upon in BJJ for so long. I knew a lot of what he said already, but he added some thoughts that gave me a different perspective. Really great show over-all!

I actually did because I had been obsessing over leg locks for some time and eating up Modern LLF and Craig’s set.

It’s not rocket science at all. It’s just new to most people.

Somehow I knew the first response to that post would be something like "I knew ...". lol Keep being awesome Sherdoggers! :rolleyes:

I actually did because I had been obsessing over leg locks for some time and eating up Modern LLF and Craig’s set.

It’s not rocket science at all. It’s just new to most people.

The same.
And the Gordon/Cyborg match was almost funny the way it happened because it was a textbook 411 heelhook entry and finish. Most of the DDS latests matches are more complicated because their opponent defend their attacks, this one, Cyborg did absolutely nothing. And yeah, most BJJ guys don't know better but a large part of the BJJ community think your leg would explode by reaping the knee so you know...

Is it safe to say gordon is the greatest of All time? I eman, Roger Gracie and marcelo Garcia never had the guts to compete in ebi

Is it safe to say gordon is the greatest of All time? I eman, Roger Gracie and marcelo Garcia never had the guts to compete in ebi

When you put it that way, absolutely...

Both are equally pretentious.
It must be the drugs. I just caught on. Teachers who aren't professors insisting on being called professor would be pretentious as hell. I've never encountered it though.

I really enjoyed that, guy is extremely bright. Seems like a great coach.

Back