JRE MMA Show #11 with John Danaher *live now!

But yes the people overreacting or saying Danaher was “dissing” aren’t around many high level people of that nature EDIT: or know how be be grown men and rib each other.

Whether it was a total joke or not it was still a diss.

It was a really good and informative podcast and he's obviously a great teacher. However, I've always really disliked Danahar.

1) Always wearing rashguards, what's up with that? Wear a fucking shirt once in a while. I'm sure he has a lycra fetish.
2) He never competed. Why not? I firmly believe a good teach has to put himself out there, at least a few times.
3) He uses Japanese names for a lot of techniques. As far as I'm aware he doesn't have any sort of background in Japanese martial arts, so I don't see the need.
4) He just seems very preachy and way too self assured. Whenever I read one of his long posts someone has shared it just really grates me.
5) That combover went on for way too long bro.
Lmao at number 5.

For number 3 he says it's to have a universal set of terms and that Japanese makes sense because we are practicing an art that came from Japan and Japanese is like "the Latin of grappling arts."

But it's always confused me because no one outside of Judo uses Japanese terms. I do think it's very effective as a coaching tool so your opposition won't easily understand what you are saying.

Yeah I think that everyone is right.

His leading questions thing was pretty condescending. He had a certain context in mind when asking the question. But when Joe gave an an answer that wasn’t wrong just not the exact thing John was thinking he said he was wrong, and with each question just made Joe guess for five minutes , it was awkward to watch.

But yeah totally he’s a really solid coach and his breakdown was great. And he has a solid team.

You can acknowledge his merits as a coach and not be a huge fan of his personality.

Last edited:
He's a Columbia man. Half the purpose of an Ivy League education is learning how to make others feel inadequate.

9wpaQ.gif

Lmao at number 5.

For number 3 he says it's to have a universal set of terms and that Japanese makes sense because we are practicing an art that came from Japan and Japanese is like "the Latin of grappling arts."

But it's always confused me because no one outside of Judo uses Japanese terms. I do think it's very effective as a coaching tool so your opposition won't easily understand what you are saying.
Code language is overrated lol. One of the things I laugh about as a coach

^^ set verbiage for easy understanding by students is good. Making up “codes” to hide what’s going from the opposition.. meh

That’s because people are over sensitive whiners and didn’t pay attention

10th planet people are over sensitive to criticism too

Usually complete losers love to spout of their outrage . . . I think it is a lot of losers just can't stand anyone being successful and have to take any shot they can at them.

There are few things more cringe worthy than listening to Rogan and Shaub bromance. It's basically just 2 hours of dude, bro, dick, fuck, stupid laughing and each one trying to one up the other... Rinse and repeat...

Though, on the other hand, in regards to making Joe look stupid in this clip, the way that Danaher approached the whole interview and the way he asked and answered alot of questions would have been hard to make anyone look good. They were phrased weird and often Joe and certainly the audience were confused as to what he was actually asking. Im not sure if it's just Johns style but, he does seen abit condescending sometimes. Though he's obviously a very intelligent person.

No.. it’s how you try to get someone to actually learn and try to become involved instead of just talking at them.. honestly given all the “stories” people tell about him.. he came across as a good teacher with high expectations who wants the students involved in the learning process and not afraid of failure/being wrong. If people find that to be too much.. it’s literally a summary of why US education is failing

Might come off that way, but I think that it's his style of teaching. I try to employ the same method when I'm trying to show/teach someone something. Yes, it usually takes longer but by not lecturing them and asking questions, I find that keeps them engaged and you want to make sure that they're understanding what you're getting at. I was terrible at learning things in lectures but asking me questions led to a) forcing me to think about shit b) made it easier for me to remember stuff. I'd remember places and snippets of conversations.

Doesn't work for everyone though. There are certain people I've found that are formulaic. Show them how to do it in what order it has to be done to get the desired result

Eh, maybe some “threads” saw it that way. John was just giving Joe shit in a dry, sarcastic manner, kiwi style.

Not convinced that Danaher has been Kiwi for decades now..

It was a really good and informative podcast and he's obviously a great teacher. However, I've always really disliked Danahar.

1) Always wearing rashguards, what's up with that? Wear a fucking shirt once in a while. I'm sure he has a lycra fetish.
2) He never competed. Why not? I firmly believe a good teach has to put himself out there, at least a few times.
3) He uses Japanese names for a lot of techniques. As far as I'm aware he doesn't have any sort of background in Japanese martial arts, so I don't see the need.
4) He just seems very preachy and way too self assured. Whenever I read one of his long posts someone has shared it just really grates me.

I think injuries stopped him from competing. Probably a combination of that and he never had any desire to compete. I think that while beneficial (in a swap war stories, relatable sense) for a coach to have competed, I don't think it's a requirement at all.

His leading questions thing was pretty condescending. He had a certain context in mind when asking the question. But when Joe gave an an answer that wasn’t wrong just not the exact thing John was thinking he said he was wrong, and with each question just made Joe guess for five minutes , it was awkward to watch.

But yeah totally he’s a really solid coach and his breakdown was great. And he has a solid team.

You can acknowledge his merits as a coach and not be a huge fan of his personality.

To be fair, Joe was not giving him the correct answer at all, and he didn't understand anything about the Gordon/Cyborg match. I'm pretty sure Joe don't study much jiu-jitsu and more a "just roll" guy... Of course Danaher is the complete opposite.

Danaher was brillant in this podcast.

1. Why do you care? The guy is a professional teacher and is most of his time in a rash or a gi, makes sense to wear them outside, nothing as weird as people like to think...
2. It's your opinion, not everyone cares to get his own master 4 blue belt local ibjjf open. He rolled with everyone at renzo in an era where there was Matt Serras and Ricardo Almeida in the room...
3. Judo, makes sense, it's just the americans who like to always use english (not a bad thing either...)
4. Because he knows about what he says and most of his talks are more about the philosophy of jiu-jitsu (epistemology of jiu-jitsu to be more precise) than pure bjj.
5. You're damn right!

I think injuries stopped him from competing. Probably a combination of that and he never had any desire to compete. I think that while beneficial (in a swap war stories, relatable sense) for a coach to have competed, I don't think it's a requirement at all.

The japanese terminology is because Renzo does it. And Renzo does it because Judo people do it.

The japanese terminology is because Renzo does it. And Renzo does it because Judo people do it.

This is probably true. Renzo is big on the Japanese stuff. Look at his book mastering Jiu-Jitsu. Though I suspect Danahers personality has alot to do with it. Not many BJJ guys address their teacher as Sensei. I've never heard him address Renzo any other way.

Might come off that way, but I think that it's his style of teaching. I try to employ the same method when I'm trying to show/teach someone something. Yes, it usually takes longer but by not lecturing them and asking questions, I find that keeps them engaged and you want to make sure that they're understanding what you're getting at. I was terrible at learning things in lectures but asking me questions led to a) forcing me to think about shit b) made it easier for me to remember stuff. I'd remember places and snippets of conversations.

Doesn't work for everyone though. There are certain people I've found that are formulaic. Show them how to do it in what order it has to be done to get the desired result

This. Even though it was awkward to hear in an interview, science actually supports this type of dialogue for learning. It is called active recall. Ignoring all of the awkwardness, I got alot of insight from this interview.

Supposedly he showed up to Matt Serra's wedding wearing a rash guard :eek: (according to Serra himself).

Supposedly he showed up to Matt Serra's wedding wearing a rash guard :eek: (according to Serra himself).
When he accompanied GSP to the Espys (black tie), he showed up in a rashguard and almost got thrown out.

I have zero evidence, but I feel like there's some kind of dark secret in Danaher's personal life nobody knows about, probably a sexual thing, that would change the way people thought about him. I don't think it's a Lloyd Irvin issue, but something strange about the way Danaher talks about how nobody has ever seen his apartment, he has no real friends, no wife or girlfriend, his obsession with knives, his guarded refusal to give even harmless info about his personal life, and of course the controlling tone he gives off in his speech. Listen to that Matt Serra interview from a few months back.

Last edited:
Back