JRE MMA Show #11 with John Danaher *live now!

Did anyone just actually listen or come in looking to have pre conceived notions “confirmed”
I listened. And even if I didn't learn really anything it's really interesting to understand how he thinks about BJJ. He really has a philosopher point of view and that's something I like a lot (in a world where most of bjjers are not able to communicate with precise words)

Awesome insight into bjj but Danaher came off like a super narcissist. The way he called every fighter kid. Then tried to take credit for training George, but only when he looked good. Same thing for Weidman. Then he talks about how he didn't like the names people come up with for leg entanglements but then introduces his own lame ass name for a position, "Double Trouble".

Time line for breakdown? Not going to wade through the whole thing, but would listen to that. Thanks.

There is a video on youtube that has the actual match playing and you can see the breakdown, while John talks about it and everything else is cut out.

Once again, social context. I’m sure you’re super fun at parties

It's not like their close friends. He might have been completely joking but it might not have come off that way to Joe and obviously to many of the listeners.

It's not like their close friends. He might have been completely joking but it might not have come off that way to Joe and obviously to many of the listeners.
That’s because people are over sensitive whiners and didn’t pay attention

10th planet people are over sensitive to criticism too

If you were actually listening to the Podcast you'd know that they've known each other for quite some time. Maybe not BFFs but a lot longer than you know Joe.

You're trying to make it more than it was. Everyone gives 10th P a hard time, especially because of the stupid names they give to everything. I do think "double trouble" is stupid too.

If you were actually listening to the Podcast you'd know that they've known each other for quite some time. Maybe not BFFs but a lot longer than you know Joe.

You're trying to make it more than it was. Everyone gives 10th P a hard time, especially because of the stupid names they give to everything. I do think "double trouble" is stupid too.

Knowing someone is not the same thing as being friends but thanks for pointing that out.

I sure wouldn't talk down to an acquaintance.
The fact you are interpreting it as “talking down” especially given the context and what was said right after. You are over sensitive

The fact you are interpreting it as “talking down” especially given the context and what was said right after. You are over sensitive

John saying "i'm an asshole" only shows that he knows it wasn't a great thing to say. I'm not hating on John or anything so maybe you should stop being over sensitive haha.

John saying "i'm an asshole" only shows that he knows it wasn't a great thing to say. I'm not hating on John or anything so maybe you should stop being over sensitive haha.
You have to be in high school given how you are looking at it. And your friends sound horrible to be around if you interpret that exchange the way you did

You have to be in high school given how you are looking at it. And your friends sound horrible to be around if you interpret that exchange the way you did

John and Joe weren't friends so not a great comparison.

Threads on that podcast people keep saying that John was sounding condescending at the beginning. Like after the "I'm and asshole" he said "step three Joe your failing". That whole section didn't come off great. Again not hating on him that's just how people see it. Maybe don't be so "sensitive" about it.

Threads on that podcast people keep saying that John was sounding condescending at the beginning. Like after the "I'm and asshole" he said "step three Joe your failing". That whole section didn't come off great. Again not hating on him that's just how people see it. Maybe don't be so "sensitive" about it.

Eh, maybe some “threads” saw it that way. John was just giving Joe shit in a dry, sarcastic manner, kiwi style.

They knew each other well enough that giving each other grief wouldn’t be misinterpreted, Danaher sounded like a coach with high expectations for his athletes who wants them involved in the learning process and not afraid of being wrong or failing. It honestly gives me a good look into how people work and how good they train by how they react to a teacher like that.

Also.. do people ever consider Danaher did certain things the way he did because he was aware it was a podcast being listened to by more than just Joe.. so phrasing things so that “his” look at Bjj would be understandable to everyone listening

But yes the people overreacting or saying Danaher was “dissing” aren’t around many high level people of that nature EDIT: or know how be be grown men and rib each other.

Absolutely incredible episode. For you dorks asking for timestamps, listen to the whole fucking thing. It's worth it.

It was a really good and informative podcast and he's obviously a great teacher. However, I've always really disliked Danahar.

1) Always wearing rashguards, what's up with that? Wear a fucking shirt once in a while. I'm sure he has a lycra fetish.
2) He never competed. Why not? I firmly believe a good teach has to put himself out there, at least a few times.
3) He uses Japanese names for a lot of techniques. As far as I'm aware he doesn't have any sort of background in Japanese martial arts, so I don't see the need.
4) He just seems very preachy and way too self assured. Whenever I read one of his long posts someone has shared it just really grates me.
5) That combover went on for way too long bro.

The Gordon Ryan-Cyborg breakdown.. wow.. I'm just speechless.. he makes it sound like they are playing a different sport..

Fantastic podcast and Danaher deserves the credit he gets..

It was a really good and informative podcast and he's obviously a great teacher. However, I've always really disliked Danahar.

1) Always wearing rashguards, what's up with that? Wear a fucking shirt once in a while. I'm sure he has a lycra fetish.
2) He never competed. Why not? I firmly believe a good teach has to put himself out there, at least a few times.
3) He uses Japanese names for a lot of techniques. As far as I'm aware he doesn't have any sort of background in Japanese martial arts, so I don't see the need.
4) He just seems very preachy and way too self assured. Whenever I read one of his long posts someone has shared it just really grates me.
5) That combover went on for way too long bro.
Ummmm

Back