Journey vs Boston

Pretty interesting stuff on Boston's founder Tom Scholz on wiki.

Scholz had a keen interest in music and began recording demos in his home studio while working at Polaroid. These demos attracted the interest of Epic Records who signed Scholz and singer Brad Delp to a recording contract. Scholz believed his demos were good enough to comprise the full contents of Boston's debut album, but Epic told Scholz to re-record the demos. Most of the guitar, bass, and keyboards were performed by Scholz, although other players were involved sporadically throughout the recordings. Epic did not want the album recorded entirely in Scholz's home as Scholz had intended (the label suggested using a recording studio), but most of what ended up on the album was indeed ultimately recorded by Scholz in his basement. The album was released in 1976 and became the biggest-selling debut album by any artist up to that time.[8][9] Scholz's reputed perfectionism delayed the follow-up album for two years. When it was finally released, he was unhappy with the result, Don't Look Back, and claimed that it was released under pressure from the record company. Scholz then declared he would not release any more music unless he was completely satisfied with the final product. Consequently, Boston's third album, Third Stage, did not appear until 1986. That album was certified 4x platinum, and "Amanda" reached the top of the singles chart.[10] Scholz and Brad Delp were the only members of the original group to appear on the album.

Waiting for Iron Maiden to take the stage in LA at the Forum years ago. Typical house music on the PA...Don't Stop Believing comes on and the whole place starts singing the song. No Boston song could do that.

Not a huge fan of either...but I'll say Journey mainly because I recently saw their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction...Asian Steve Perry did a phenomenal job...

Boston's first album blows away anything Journey did. Problem is, the rest of their albums were kind of shitty save a couple songs.

Journey overall probably has a little bit better of a catalog.

As an aside, I know people say that Boston sucked live because they just couldn't recreate what they did in the studio. Apparently their music was enhanced quite a bit technologically by 70s standards. Which if that's true, I can see that being a knock on them.

Last edited:
Boston's first album blows away anything Journey did. Problems, the rest of their albums were kind of shitty save a couple songs.

Journey overall probably has a little bit better of a catalog.

As an aside, I know people say that Boston sucked live because they just couldn't recreate what they did in the studio. Apparently their music was enhanced quite a bit by 70s standards. Which if that's true, I can see that being a knock on them.
Their guitar player really pushed the capabilities of what was available. His contribution to the rock guitar production world was probably much greater than Boston's contribution to the music world.

Boston's self titled album is better than any single release from Journey, it has possibly the greatest a side of that era. Ok, maybe not as good as Night Moves by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, but I'd consider that an undecided topic.

I love the Boston sound but can't stand the Journey sound.

Back