International Journalists Arrested for Inserting Salt Bae Into the Last Supper

Falsedawn

.45 ACP
Platinum Member
Reaction score
An interesting twist on a theme many of us decry.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/12/salt-bae-last-supper-jordan-arrests-journalists.html

Journalists Arrested for Inserting Salt Bae Into the Last Supper

ADJ3opa.jpg

On Saturday, Jordan’s Al Wakeel News website published an altered image of the Last Supper depicting living meme Salt Bae performing his signature move over Jesus’s shoulder. It’s a funny image (and a smart joke about internet obsession), but it did not sit well with Jordan’s government. After the image reportedly caused controversy online, the image was deemed offensive to Christians and the website’s publisher, Mohammed al-Wakeel, and an editor, were accused of inciting sectarian strife.

https://en.royanews.tv/news/16181/2018-12-08

Jordanian website investigated for satirical Jesus cartoon

Jordan

Published: 2018-12-08 16:42

Last Updated: 2018-12-08 17:13

A painting of The Last Supper. (ThoughtCo)
16181.JPG

A cartoon depicting Turkish chef “Salt Bae” - real name Nusret Gökçe - sprinkling salt on the food at Jesus’ Last Supper was met with uproar on social media.

The cartoon was posted on a Jordanian news website on Saturday, December 8, but was taken down after dozens of Jordanians were deeply offended by the “insulting” image.

Infuriated social media users told the website that the religiously-insensitive drawing would cause strife between Muslims and Christians in the Kingdom.

A statement released by the Latin Patriarchate Schools called on the Ministry of Education to condemn the cartoon and urged them to take legal action against the website that published it.

They said that “the cartoon works to deepen the spirit of hatred amongst people.”

In a statement addressed to its critics, the website said that the cartoon was “mistakenly published by one of our editors.”

One of the main points of contention among muslims in the west and the west itself is regarding blasphemy and how to handle it. One side says people need to have thicker skin, and to punish people for muslims when Jesus is fair game is barbaric. The other says to show respect to the iconography of the religion and the norms associated with it.

But in this situation, you have a 95% muslim country not only enforcing the blasphemy laws for the 4% minority christians, but going incredibly hard to bat for them it appears.

Does this affect your views on the muslim view of blasphemy, why or why not? I'm sure many of us will oppose on grounds of free speech (and rightfully so), but i'm curious how christians in particular feel about it.

They should have made it worth it and also added Mohammad boning his 9 year old wife.

Does this affect your views on the muslim view of blasphemy, why or why not?
No, freedom of speech is more important than stupid blasphemy laws. Muslim countries are backwards and we should consider a travel ban on Jordan.

No, freedom of speech is more important than stupid blasphemy laws. Muslim countries are backwards and we should consider a travel ban on Jordan.

I agree that blasphemy laws are stupid (for various reasons), but I admit that the earnestness actually softens my view on them. Not on importing those policies to the west, but on the consistency.

If their aim is to "reduce sectarian violence", protecting an overwhelming minority is a great way of proving that to be true in my mind. It might still be a stupid policy, but at least their heart is in the right place.

Jordan is one the better countries in the region, in fact they were our main ally (from that region) in my time in the GWOT wars

our Female Engagement Team in Kabul was Jordanian female military for instance

And yet adding salt to the plate of Jesus is an arresting offense...
well I mean it's still the Middle East, the 2nd worst region in the world

the 'shining beacon' in that region is probably Kuwait or one of the UAE's, all which have more 'rights' especially for women, except the population is only 10-17% local national and they treat their imported labor like indentured servants
edit: well if we omit Israel

Jesus was an important prophet in islam, so the blasphemy protection of the minority religion doesnt hit hard for me as the main reason.

But, blasphemy laws regardless of intent are beyond asinine

I agree that blasphemy laws are stupid (for various reasons), but I admit that the earnestness actually softens my view on them. Not on importing those policies to the west, but on the consistency.

If their aim is to "reduce sectarian violence", protecting an overwhelming minority is a great way of proving that to be true in my mind. It might still be a stupid policy, but at least their heart is in the right place.

One of the main points of contention among muslims in the west and the west itself is regarding blasphemy and how to handle it. One side says people need to have thicker skin, and to punish people for muslims when Jesus is fair game is barbaric. The other says to show respect to the iconography of the religion and the norms associated with it.

But in this situation, you have a 95% muslim country not only enforcing the blasphemy laws for the 4% minority christians, but going incredibly hard to bat for them it appears.

Does this affect your views on the muslim view of blasphemy, why or why not? I'm sure many of us will oppose on grounds of free speech (and rightfully so), but i'm curious how christians in particular feel about it.
I'm going to go against the grain here and say I think that's a legitimate reason to restrict speech. In the abstract I prefer very strong speech protections like we have in the US(and even we're not perfect) but at the same time I think that in practice certain countries might have certain sectarian or ethnic or religious divisions that are best not inflamed. Not sure Jordan is one of those countries but it might be. The problem is that even speech restrictions put in place for the "right" reasons can be abused and I can easily imagine the Jordanian government doing just that.

An interesting twist on a theme many of us decry.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/12/salt-bae-last-supper-jordan-arrests-journalists.html

Journalists Arrested for Inserting Salt Bae Into the Last Supper

ADJ3opa.jpg

https://en.royanews.tv/news/16181/2018-12-08

I personally think he should be free to post this picture free of consequence. However, he lives under the laws of the Kingdom of Jordan, and I am not the King. The People of Jordan have allowed themselves to be ruled by a King, and the King's laws prohibit certain kinds of speech. If the People of Jordan don't like it, they should overthrow the King and make new laws. Until then, this guy is stuck with the consequences of his actions under Jordanian law.

They should have made it worth it and also added Mohammad boning his 9 year old wife.

You shouldn't have written this. Rational poster might come here and tell you how she was probably 13 when he had sex with her (She probably consented, duh), so he's not really a pedophile, but a hebephile, so it doesn't count. And anyways, it was just political, like when he saw his general's daughter crawling on the floor as a toddler and said he would pound her when she was of age.

Increasing Jesus's sodium intake could cause him to have a stroke.

How is he supposed to season his ever refilling basket of fish? He's gotta have something to pair with the pond he turned into a nice red.

Jordan is one the better countries in the region, in fact they were our main ally (from that region) in my time in the GWOT wars

our Female Engagement Team in Kabul was Jordanian female military for instance

I've been to Jordan and it's really a uniquely great country with such a polite, empathetic, and accommodating culture.

You shouldn't have written this. Rational poster might come here and tell you how she was probably 13 when he had sex with her (She probably consented, duh), so he's not really a pedophile, but a hebephile, so it doesn't count. And anyways, it was just political, like when he saw his general's daughter crawling on the floor as a toddler and said he would pound her when she was of age.

Its ok because I would just tell the rational poster to learn what humor is so they would realize the meaning of my post, and if they still cant understand it, call them a potato and laugh.

Its ok because I would just tell the rational poster to learn what humor is so they would realize the meaning of my post, and if they still cant understand it, call them a potato and laugh.

You don't want that argument with him. If needing a shower was possible in text form, his arguments on the subject would be so.

Back