Josh Rosenthal send Carwin's career to another path | Page 2

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by tonil, Feb 9, 2018.

1. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    Carwin wasn't very good. He would have been champion for a single fight.

DanMMAleague, Teefs and NGute87 like this.
  2. NGute87 Blue Belt

NGute87
    Cain beats Carwin. Carwin retires. I love Shane. He is a monster.

3. kflo Gold Belt

kflo
    He acted every time he was told he needed to. It’s absurd people still think this. Carwin didn’t do enough to finish brock and we know this for a fact because brock choked him out.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    glenwo2 and The Clark like this.
  4. NGute87 Blue Belt

NGute87
    I remember watching the fight. i was sure it would be stopped, but i have no problem with the ref letting them continue. lots of those shots missed, amd lesnar was aware. Getting his ass beat of course, but he wassnt out.

5. Thepaintbucket Red Belt

Thepaintbucket

I mean being UFC champion even once is pretty good in my book but I guess we have different definitions.

Skarsgard likes this.
  6. JimtheJake Undisputed Sh!t Post Champion 2016

JimtheJake
    Excellent response sir

7. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    Well, it's obviously implied that this is relative to the genuine elite of the division. I didn't count Carwin as one of the five best HWs in the world at his peak.

8. MaveDeltzer Brown Belt

MaveDeltzer
    Minutes? Carwin was on Brock for 8 seconds before he kicked Carwin off. Josh gave one warning to defend himself as he was saying his 2nd warning Brock kicked him off. Then a much slower Carwin jumped on him and cut him with some punches under the arm before he ran out of gas and took a nap. Then Brock scrambled up with over a minute in the round and tried for a takedown before attacking with knees to the body.

Carwin had a few 10 second spurts of offense that mostly missed or were on the arms.

9. D 1 Wrestler Look up to me

D 1 Wrestler
    Rewatch he responds to all requests

RJK likes this.
  10. gspieler Red Belt

gspieler
    Unless he got ko'd in the first...which would've been a real possibility.

TheChance likes this.
  11. kevinramsdell Blue Belt

kevinramsdell
    It was the biggest (literally) HW championship Fight of its time. Of course you don't stop it. And look what happened.... brock survived, Carwin folded, and brock fucking arm triangled his ass!!!! Wtf?!?! Had they stopped the fight, Carwin would have went on to show those cardio issues in his next fight. Brock can certainly take a beating better than most and besides brock was defending. Yea he got blasted early but Carwin emptied the tank and blamed it on lactic acid build up.

Kudos to these refs, people like Dana are quick to criticize situations when he has no clue what it's like to be under the lights with the fight in your hands.

PhilJackObrien, glenwo2 and RJK like this.
  12. SCTwins Brown Belt

SCTwins
    Carwin let adrenaline get the better of him. If he would have stopped hulk-raging for two seconds and placed a few of his shots, he would have had the belt.

13. ThinkBig500 Black Belt

ThinkBig500
    Not really. Brock and Carwin lost to Overeem, Cain, and JDS. Three months later, Cain would’ve beat Carwins ass.

14. Troy Nelson Blue Belt

Troy Nelson
    To this day I can't believe that fight wasn't called. Not because it was the right thing to do, but because the precedent was there (regardless of actually landing).

But I'm kind of glad Carwin lost, because it gave me perhaps my favorite MMA quote of all time, the highly underrated:

"My fuckin' arms tightened up."
    - Shane Carwin

I also read somewhere shortly after the fight Carwin's camp admitted he chugged multiple Red Bulls before his entrance, and then later he popped for a steroid cocktail. So we had a freak of a man on Red Bull and cocktails and of course, he lost because his fuckin' arms tightened up. Poetic.

DanMMAleague likes this.
  15. Thepaintbucket Red Belt

Thepaintbucket
    You said he wasn't very good. Beating Brock Lesnar and becoming the UFC heavyweight champion would have been a good achievement. The top 5 best in the world and being not very good are two independent variables. Is it not? You can be a great fighter and not be the best.

Furthermore rankings are all bullshit. Rankings are used to systematically put the next fighter in line towards a title shot, outside of that it means absolutely nothing. But I am sure you will tell me that being an elite fighter equals them having a higher chance to defend the belt.

Like most things in MMA it's all based on opinion. People believing into these elite categories such as yourself or people believing fighters have a natural weight classes, or GOAT status is crap. It honestly means nothing. The only things that are true and factual is if first you can become champion and secondly if you can defend the belt. Nobody wins a prize for second best, yet alone being top 5 "Elite".

16. lostdog000 Silver Belt

lostdog000
    u know ufc paid him off to give brock every chance to win

17. TrevorLahey Purple Belt

TrevorLahey
    I would of stopped it, I fully admit I hate Lesnar but those are heavyweights man and Carwin hits hard. I certainly wouldn't of complained had it of been stopped. Lesnar got his though when Cain had him doing cartwheels and Overeem ended him with that body kick.

18. Willek Yellow Card

Willek
    Cain beats Carwin anyway.

19. horseshoe_pass man Orange Belt

horseshoe_pass man
  20. JayE Black Belt

JayE
    lol, so I can't have an idea of who I think the best 5 fighters in a given division are because official rankings within a single promotion aren't based on wholly objective criteria and don't really mean a whole in terms of determining contenders for a single promotion's title? Cool.

What you're writing here borders on being incoherent, but I'll give it a shot. Why does a belt given out by a single promotion (the UFC HW title could not under any circumstances at that time be called a genuinely lineal HW championship belt at the time of that fight) hold more significance when judging a fighter's resume than the actual quality of a fighter? Is Nathan Cleverly a greater fighter LHW than Ezzard Charles because he held a LHW title (the only "true and factual" - hilarious word choice, btw - achievement in combat sports) while Ezzard Charles never did?

Of course this is all based on opinion, and like any opinion, the relative strength of the argument behind determines how worthwhile said opinion is. If you're looking for a wholly objective and unreproachable measure of an MMA fighters' quality, you're not going to find it.