*Josh Barnett* on Judo vs Catch Wrestling

I think I know what you're talking about. It was an exhibition bout for the Luminax cup, and was supposedly a work.

That's true. Allegedly.... :p

Dude. You really, honestly, think Lou Thesz would know what a TRIANGLE CHOKE was? Are you serious, dude?

Just for posterity, people: Lou Thesz is one of the guys who trained Gene frigging LeBelle. He himself was trained by and was fast friends with Ad Santel and especially Ed Lewis, whose finisher was essentially an arm-triangle and who was almost as into jujutsu as he was into catch-wrestling. He was constantly pulling out rolling kimura's into short-arm scissors(sometimes arm-bars), calf-crushers, Achilles locks, etc. And he worked with Rikidozan, Kimura and others in Japan and was beloved by Rikidozan for agreeing to put him over, etc.

There's no basis for assuming he was ignorant of a triangle choke of all things. And it's not like he ever showed some kind of prejudice against judo or jujutsu; it's been more like the opposite. Remember, it's not like the catch guys who went to Japan weren't learning as well.

Yea but so did some Judo guy. :D Can't remember his name. Look up Judo VS Shooto on youtube and you will see it. He get's tapped with a flying armbar. Don't know the rules though, because for some reason they stop the fight and start them again. From what I remember he get's pretty much clowned standing and on the ground. Although it's sort of an MMA match, he still get's outgrappled. I can't remember the guys name though to save my life. Thalion know's though.

Yoshinori Nishi at lumax cup 95

Back