*Josh Barnett* on Judo vs Catch Wrestling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Jinzumkei, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Jinzumkei Rock El Columbian

Jinzumkei
    From the sherdog front page:

Josh Barnett interview

Pretty interesting take on Judo vs Catch Wrestling. I like that Josh Barnett is trying to revive the "Style" vs "Style" aspect of MMA.

Good interview.

2. Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

Jimmy Cerra
    I don't like it. At best it is just a marketing gimmick to get people interested in the fight. At worse, it represents an inferiority complex about his own training methods.

3. BJJK1 Green Belt

BJJK1
    +1

besides, what does beating yoshida prove? josh is in his prime, and yoshida is pushing 40 and giving up 30lbs! Big nog beat him, so i guess that means bjj is > catch, cro cop beat him three times, so that means kickboxing is > catch?

if you still think one style rules all, you are 10 years behind!

4. Blast D* Banned

Blast D*
    Catch isnt even a real grappling sport...... sure theres special catch wrestling rules but its a joke.

the best grappling system is brazilian jiu jitsu because it is way more popular, therefore it has much better competitors. it also has the most flexible rules: just grapple until someone submits , ultimately, even with time limits

5. Jinzumkei Rock El Columbian

Jinzumkei
    Oh for sure it's a marketing gimmick, still interesting way to go about it. There's obviously no bad blood between him and Yosh, and I don't he has any real disdain for Judo. I like the concept though, kinda like rooting for a home team.

6. Blast D* Banned

Blast D*
    Yeah, and he's just calling his grappling training something else. He says he's never trained a day of BJJ but he sure as hell trains like a jiu jitsu guy. Instead he sticks to his "catch -only style" and is just an alright takedown guy and an alright submission guy.

7. Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

Jimmy Cerra
    The best grappling system is the one that works for you. Whether that is catch, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, international wrestling, judo, or whatever.

8. georgejjr Black Belt

georgejjr
    I suspect it's a marketing gimmick - Barnett has to be pretty aware that at the top levels of MMA there's no style vs style anyway. Pure wrestlers, pure judoka, pure BJJ'ers, pure boxers, pure you-name-its lose badly.

Possibly he's doing it to market the fight with Yoshida, who was a world class athlete and one tough SOB, but is pretty old to be fighting MMA in any case, and probably 40 pounds overweight. Without some extra hook there's no reason for anyone to be interested in this mismatch, so I suspect they'll look for whatever angles they can find.

9. Masakatsu Funaki #1 Black Belt

Masakatsu Funaki #1
    You're full of shit.

10. ooitzoo Purple Belt

ooitzoo
    that is one thing that bothers me is that bjj does not recognize catch as a legitimate grappling form.

11. Masakatsu Funaki #1 Black Belt

Masakatsu Funaki #1
    Talk to Renzo about that.

12. ooitzoo Purple Belt

ooitzoo
    allow me to correct myself, i think the greats acknowledge it but its the "rank and file" that don't.

13. Q mystic Silver Belt

Q mystic
    I would much rather see a 29 year old ex-judoka with a 40 fight winning record VS a 39 year old ex-catcher with a losing 10 fight record...after he got done fighting 1500 catch matches...and call it judo vs catch.

Aww..fuck it. Have him fight Pawel again and this time with elbows/knees to the face allowed on the ground.:D

All due respect to Catch of course. Besides, Barnett has done judo.hehehe.

14. Q mystic Silver Belt

Q mystic
    Actually. Awesome. Kudos to Barnett.:D

read it b4 but just watched the vid.

15. Masakatsu Funaki #1 Black Belt

Masakatsu Funaki #1
    Man, I love Josh Barnett.

If anyone wants to see some Catch in action, click my homepage. :p

16. Q mystic Silver Belt

Q mystic
    I do too. Intially, what he says annoys me but after thinking I always like what he says. He's not just a fighter, similar to Ali. I dont mean it directly, but you know what Im saying.

I'd still pick Pawel in a rematch tho.:D

17. Jinzumkei Rock El Columbian

Jinzumkei
    I got that too. I like JB. I've met him a couple times and he's the nicest guy. He's very knowledgeable about the sport and I don't think he's out to disrespect Judo. But hey why not not be proud of your discipline.

Def. want to see a rematch with Pawel, Barnett was losing that fight easily before he caught Pawel.

18. Ryo Black Belt

Ryo

This is just a gimmick. Josh Barnett has nothing but respect for Judo. He's trained plenty of Judo is his lifetime, you can ask him. It's just a pro-wrestling gimmick to hype the fight. Him and Yoshida are good friends, and have trained together quite a few times. Nob ody should take this seriously. Josh most certainly doesn't.

19. yodaman Brown Belt

yodaman
    True that. Funny that he's training with Erik Paulson, the ultimate mixed grappler (if it's a form of wrestling, odds are Paulson has learned it or will learn it) and yet he goes on and on and on about Catch. I thought we were past style nuthuggery back at UFC 60.

Someone get Yoon in here to fight instead of Yoshida. Yoon by Dongbar over Josh.

20. The Colonel Purple Belt

The Colonel
    Catch wrestling has a lot to offer the grappling world and it has always intrigued me. Things like hammer locks, toeholds, heel hooks, and neck cranks are all things that most BJJ players don't get as heavily exposed to, not to mention all the wrestling techniques that have been taken out of folkstyle wrestling through the years. Pick up an old dusty wrestling book from better city or college libraries, and you'll come across some techniques that aren't being used anymore.

Like him or not, I'd go train with Josh Barnett in a minute.