Josh Barnett accepting his 4 year suspension

dont think he can get four years.

USADA didnt bring in the rules where they recognised prior offences till April 1st this year. His violation was prior to that.
ah, maybe that's why he refused to negotiate down to 18 months. maybe he knows he can only get 2 years.

he is good at playing hardball and finding loopholes. like the Affliction 3 test, where he (well, his lawyers) realized before everyone else that he just had to wait out a year since the CSAC couldn't actually punish him, a non-licensed fighter.

He's not wrong really. As much as I want clean athletes usada has been sketchy at best on many occasions. But yeah it's weird that someone of Barnett's reputation is doing that kind of finger pointing even though I don't disagree with him.

What exactly are you accusing USADA of? Are you saying USADA is intentionally manipulating tests results? Or did they just catch a multi-time offender that has never came clean or accepted the responsibility of his actions?

Was reduced to 18 months and his team said try again USADA...? don’t understand what he’s thinking, he’d be eligible to fight a few months from now.
His team, just like him, aren’t very smart

edit:

Just checked 2016 policty, was in there to.. so yes, he can face 4 years

Last edited:
Heres the specific regulations regarding prior offences under athletic comissions.

didnt come in until APRIL 2017

So does not apply to Josh's case.

only way he gets 4 years is aggravating circumstances which is not possible anyway because htere needs to be poitential to increase in-bout performance which you would have a tough time arguing

So no, under treh rules there is no possible way Barnett gets 4 years

so what do you think is a more technically sound suspension, 2 years?

EDIT: BTW i just remembered that in that JRE interview 2 or so weeks ago, Jeff Novitsky did say that USADA does have the authority to exceed traditional suspension limits, if they think it's egregious enough. i think he was specifically saying that they could give Jones 6 years instead of 4 if they determined it was warranted. i don't remember the specifics and can't listen to the first 30 minutes again now to figure out exactly what he said in what context, so it could be N/A to this case.

Last edited:
Warmaster should take his tights to Rizen.

He gets very little hate because he is popular fighter with the hardcore fans like myself, he hasn't made up wild excuses for his usage (tainted blue sex enhancement liquids...) and he doesn't look like he uses. He has had a dad bod his entire career.

The only time I was pissed at him was when he beat Randy and then pissed hot.

The main issue is that the guy is an incredibly talented lifetime top 10 heavyweight and we missed out on many fights because of his abuses. Always wanted to see him fight Fedor.

Dude probably would have never been in any of those fights if he wasn't roided to the gills. He wouldn't have kept doping if he could do it naturally, he can't. It's a shame that Randy had to take an L to this guy. Randy would have wrecked him if they were on an even playing field.

Maybe he can go to Rizin and take over there....Wait Cro Cop won the OW tournament there so he's top dog....Maybe he should just retire unless he wants his ass beat a fourth time.

so what do you think is a more technically sound suspension, 2 years?

EDIT: BTW i just remembered that in that JRE interview 2 or so weeks ago, Jeff Novitsky did say that USADA does have the authority to exceed traditional suspension limits, if they think it's egregious enough. i think he was specifically saying that they could give Jones 6 years instead of 4 if they determined it was warranted. i don't remember the specifics and can't listen to the first 30 minutes again now to figure out exactly what he said in what context, so it could be N/A to this case.

what do you call "traditional suspension limits"

USADA's suspension limits are detailed in the anti doping policy. there is a lot of flexibility

the maximum Jones can possibly get is 8 years

Last edited:

USADA's suspension limits are detailed in the anti doping policy. there is a lot of flexibility, but as far as Barnett goes the maximum he can possibly get is 2 years

got it, thanks.

What do yall think about fighters contracting on a fight to fight basis with each other with regards to substance use? Stay in USADA testing pool with the purpose of verifying contracted substances, maybe with the exception that they cannot fight for the title, I think about this with regard to older fighters often. Like if Belfort wants to have a couple more fights against aging stars and they both agree to the terms. However it would have the effect of fragmenting the talent pool and become a roadblock to certain fights. But still, Barnett vs Jones, if they both end up on long suspensions why don't they just fight each other.

"The Suspended Fighters Fight League" at least one of these fights on every card, or maybe Ray or Bjorn have already TM it.

Was reduced to 18 months and his team said try again USADA...? don’t understand what he’s thinking, he’d be eligible to fight a few months from now.

Presumably, Barnett wants a release from the UFC and to fight in Japan.

Considering he's failed about a half dozen times over the years, the guy isn't a good fit for fighting under USADA and wants out of the program. He's also well outside of the title picture, despite how paper thing heavyweight is.

He can take PEDS and fight for good pay in Asia, and that might be what he wants for his swan song.

If Barnett wanted to stay in the UFC, an 18th month suspension would effectively mean he can get booked immediately.

Fucking USADA,

We'll look back at this time and weep at the fighters they forced into retirement early for no reason. Just so fans can go on a mortal power trip and the UFC can cover their asses in case a fighter dies in the cage.
USADA forced fighters to be cheating assholes? non-morons will look back at this time and be thankful that someones actually taking steps to clean this shit up. now if only we can do something about weight cutting...

im happy to never have to watch Barnett fight again.

im not interested in watching career cheaters steal money and spotlight from real martial artists.

Keep pro wrestling maybe he could team up with Ronda.

USADA forced fighters to be cheating assholes? non-morons will look back at this time and be thankful that someones actually taking steps to clean this shit up. now if only we can do something about weight cutting...
You really think guys aren't cheating who USADA have declared 'clean' - its bullshit. Multiple fighters like Schaub, Penn, Bisping, Rampage, Chael ,Hughes and Hendo etc have come out and said everyone is using something or some loophole to cheat.

Everyone will always find a way to cheat because everyone else is cheating, they need to be on par in their minds. It will only increase in popularity, as it has over the years, when the money on offer is increased.

Tell me, what damage do PEDs do to the sport, fighters, promoters or fans other than 'bad' PR? Why is this witch hunt good for the sport? Why is it we will "be thankful that someone actually takes steps to clean this shit up"?

Honest question bro, not in trolling mode.

Fucking USADA,

We'll look back at this time and weep at the fighters they forced into retirement early for no reason. Just so fans can go on a mortal power trip and the UFC can cover their asses in case a fighter dies in the cage.
what a bunch of bullshit. you might maybe with you delusion.

Ehhh... it's hard to justify 4 failed tests, but there was an era he was in where everyone was juicing, for some reason I think he just had dumb people around him. Barnett never looked insanely strong or crazy cardio so I haven't felt he really cheated as bad as someone who strictly relies on strength. Most of Barnett's wins came from skill. That said, I was a bigger fan when I thought he fought clean, but still one of the greats that get overlooked.

He's 40... a 4 year ban is essentially lifetime, he's not gonna be able to fight in 4 years.

He should go fight in Japan, they love him over there

USADA's suspension limits are detailed in the anti doping policy. there is a lot of flexibility

Holy shit! That's just ridiculous.

These fighters need a union.

I could understand an 8 year suspension in amateur sports, but in pro sports thats just insane. That's a whole career.

We will NEVER see an 8 year suspension in MMA, ever. If USADA ever does this, the fighter will be able to obtain release from their contract.

That would turn a UFC contract into potential bondage for the sake of spite.

Back