Jose Aldo's legkicks are so overrated

He stopped using them after he broke his foot

He never healed enough to put the power he used to in to em so he changed up his game, but kicking was by far his best weapon, so needless to say without em he is what he is today
Source on the idea that "he never healed enough to put the power he used to in to em so he changed up his game"?

As for you overall point, I agree. He's stopped using leg kicks in recent years, which has essentially turned him into a boxer. His boxing is still very good, but not good enough to beat guys like Conor and Max. Whatever the reason, it really is a shame that he stopped using his best weapon.

He's not looking for leg kicks at all, instead he's countering with his hands.
Leg kicks at the highest level need to be masked or timed, certain guys you don't feel comfortable leg kicking, you feel the risk reward isn't there and you rather counter with hands..
Everybody's looking to check his kicks, there's a reason he rarely throws them

Pretty sure Edgar and Lamas would disagree with that

Lmao.

Aldo is no elite Thaiboxer, but for MMA his Low kicks are arguably some of the best we've ever seen.

Send this thread too the wasteland.

Everything about Aldo has been overrated ever since WEC got dissolved.
Yeah, those 7 defenses against top contenders are so easy to come by. Clearly Aldo sucks

he literally had one fight where his legkicks had visible effects (urijah faber)
Yeah, and here were those "visible effects"...

UrijahFaberThigh.jpg

He's lucky they didn't have to amputate.

We didn't see the visible damage to Faber's legs until 2 days after the fight when Urijah posted the pictures on twitter telling fans and media alike they were morons for thinking Aldo didn't do damage to him.

The premise of this thread is idiotic from the get-go.

He hasnt used them effectively in a fight in years. I have no idea why certain posters keep insisting they will play a factor in every fight.

Against Conor: leg kicks will be the difference

Against Max: leg kicks will be the difference!
Give it up people.
I'm Guilty of this.

What type of shit opinion is this. Have you seen the power and speed behind Jose Aldo's leg kicks...

They were a monstrous weapon in the past but he hasn't used them to any great effect in many years

he is so cautious that it seems he doesn't want to open himself up to use them

Probably a McGregory fan and some of Aldo's comments about Conor rubs them the wrong way. Aldo to me looks like his drive and determination are gone because remember not all if any fighter actually likes fighting regardless of what they say. After the money starts coming in one would have to think that it would get harder to get out of bed already hurting and go to the gym to get your ass whooped because the only to improve is to fight somebody either better or different than you. That is the only thing about Floyd mayweather I like and that is his passion because he is filthy rich and has been a long time but he still puts that work in. with close to a billion in the bank. He has more money than he can spend and still workin like he has nothing.

Just my opinion, the hunger is lost under dollar bills.

Most people won't read this because it's a wall of text by a white belt but this is a great post.

These are real people and motivation is a factor. You especially see it with people who just lost a title fight and then go on a losing skid. It's hard to motivate yourself when you aren't pushing to become a champion anymore.

its also hard for long time champs to push when they've already done it again and again.jones said he ran into that and stopped training seriously and almost lost to Gustafson because he couldn't keep pushing himself when he won his previous fights so easily, why go through hell to try to get better if you can win easily anyways?

Very few people can compete with themselves and continue to improve regardless of what opponent they're facing or how long they've been doing it. Mayweather was a great example you used. He could sign to fight a bum off the street and still train as hard as if it was the biggest challenge of his life. That's why hes never lost. Another good example is Karelin who said he enjoys training like a mad man, that it's like a drug for him. If someone is only training to get rich then why train after they've already gotten rich?

He's evolved to more of a backfoot boxer recently, but no, Aldo still has arguably the best leg kicks in the game. He used them pretty well against Lamas fairly recently too.

Yeah, those 7 defenses against top contenders are so easy to come by. Clearly Aldo sucks

God fans today are fucking immature, disrespectful little shits. Conor has created a new wave of shit MMA fans. Not saying it's his fault but most Conor fans reek of ignorance.

He's not looking for leg kicks at all, instead he's countering with his hands.
Leg kicks at the highest level need to be masked or timed, certain guys you don't feel comfortable leg kicking, you feel the risk reward isn't there and you rather counter with hands..
Everybody's looking to check his kicks, there's a reason he rarely throws them
Yep. One kick checked when thrown at that power can leave you like Anderson Silva. He jacked his foot pretty bad by getting checked by KZ.

Great article that quotes a few people that might know more about you on the topic who disagree:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/27/9798748/the-night-we-faced-jose-aldo-ufc-194-conor-mcgregor

Urijah Faber:

That was actually the most pain I’ve ever been in, because it was all soft tissue.

The ones that landed, it was a different kind of kick than I’d felt before. Normally if you get caught with a kick like that in practice, you stop and, you know, shake it off and get the limp out before you start sparring again. But man, those kicks. We were having a little trouble reaching each other and I think he just decided to use that weapon. And it got nasty, dude. I remember sitting down after the second round having, like, a softball-sized welt right on my knee. I couldn’t bend my knee and I just remember looking down like, holy shit.
Jonathan Brookins:

By the second round I was just, like, almost trying to jump over those leg kicks. Every time there were coming, I remember being terrified. My god, man. I remember before the fight somebody telling me, ‘Jon, you need to defend the leg kicks. The kid kicks the leg.’

I had only been in ‘x’ amount of fights and my thoughts on leg kicks, I remember saying: ‘leg kicks don’t hurt.’ That was my response to this guy.
Mark Hominick:

I’ve been in over 25 kickboxing bouts, over 30 MMA bouts, and I would say that’s the hardest I’ve been hit.
Kenny Florian:

Jose keeps his foot pointed forward and still generates an insane amount of power. So there’s no tell. You can’t read his kicks, which makes it so difficult when combined with the actual speed he generates. So it’s very hard to check those kicks. We saw with Urijah Faber, he was limping for months.

I didn’t get full feeling in my legs back for months.​

Hey TS thanks for making another thread where we can praise the almighty Aldo. Love me some Aldo!

yeah because the role of a legkick is to be visible, not score points, or hurt your oponent, or reduce his mobility.

you deserve a lowkick in the teeth, fool!

Unfinished Sentenc trying to improve his trolling arsenal, it seems. At least the Bisping hate threads are more likely to draw frustrated Romero fans to them, and become entertaining as a result.

Last edited:
Back