Jose Aldo feels he will never get to avenge loss to Conor McGregor

It was a perfect counter but you wouldn't be calling JDS's punch lucky if the rematches never happened.

JDS' punch wasn't lucky, he was capable of pulling that off anytime in the standup. Cain switched up the strategy in the next 2 fights. I think Aldo would do the same had he gotten a rematch

Yeah it's pretty messed up. Conor got his re-match after Nate choked him out. Just shows you how illegitimate the UFC is.

Nothing illegitimate about it, Conor has the leverage, Aldo doesn't

No, I didn't miss the rematch. It was a great fight imo. Do you have a point you are trying to make, because I missed it.
You said his only hard fights were against opponents on short notice, implying had he had time to prepare he would deal with Nate and Chad easy. I pointed out the rematch where he had a full camp to prepare for Nate and still barely won that fight.

You said his only hard fights were against opponents on short notice, implying had he had time to prepare he would deal with Nate and Chad easy. I pointed out the rematch where he had a full camp to prepare for Nate and still barely won that fight.
His only hard fights in the UFC have been against short term opponents. You don't have to be a McGregor fan to see that. Also, I'm well aware that Nate-COnor 2 was closely contested, which I left ample room for in my quote.

Everyone McGregor prepared for, he beat, and usually fairly easily.

I avoided speaking in absolute terms, because in the fight game, there aren't many absolutes.

My main point remains solid. McGregor performed worse against short notice replacements than when he had time to specifically prepare for an opponent. Again, one doesn't have to be a McGregor fan to recognize that this is true.

I think it is obviously harder to be the short notice replacement in a fight than it is to fight a short notice replacement in most cases. But it remains true that fighting a short notice replacement is risky and sub-optimal, which is why even great fighters like Jon Jones and Werdum both have refused to take short notice replacements in the past.

No, it isn't the same thing. But it's not nothing either. And it's much better than running your mouth about how you are ready to fight and then refusing to fight. If Aldo wanted to fight McGregor again, he should have seized the opportunity when it arose. Nate Diaz did. He took the fight with almost no preparation and got the biggest win and the biggest payday of his career. And then he got the rematch and will get a third fight. All because he took a risk. Meanwhile Aldo will get Holloway and then what? A third fight with Frankie? A rematch with Cub? Aldo was on top so long he forgot what it is like to not be on the top, when you are on the outside looking in. You have to take your chances however they come.

I don't disagree that aldo put his foot in his mouth when he claimed that he'd be willing to fight anywhere/anytime, however any rational person could see that was clear hyperbole.
Good on diaz for taking the fight on short notice, and winning, but you can't compare what he had to gain/lose vs what was at stake for jose. In the first place, nate wasn't coming off a medical suspension, he hadn't lost to mcgregor previously, he was at gatekeeper status so it's not like a loss would affect his stock too much, and he'd previously been fighting for peanuts.

As I stated before though, if that's ducking, with all of the circumstances involved, then mcgregor ducked aldo to an even higher degree when he refused to defend his fw strap on multiple occasions, all the way to the point where the organization gave him the ultimatum of defense vs stripping and he decided he'd rather drop the belt than fight Aldo. If the only circumstance in which he was willing to give jose a rematch was at a higher weight class with no prep time, then he's clearly a charlatan and a chicken.

I don't disagree that aldo put his foot in his mouth when he claimed that he'd be willing to fight anywhere/anytime, however any rational person could see that was clear hyperbole.

I agree. Aldo's bravado and then subsequent backing down was rational. It was slightly embarrassing, nothing more.

If the only circumstance in which he was willing to give jose a rematch was at a higher weight class with no prep time, then he's clearly a charlatan and a chicken.

This to me is where your post falls apart. He took a dangerous fight when Aldo didn't come through. He took a dangerous fight when RDA fell through. Rather than being a charlatan who hand picks his opponents, he's been a more notable risk taker than Aldo over the past several years.

Also, McGregor doesn't owe Aldo another fight. He had very solid reasons to fight Nate in a rematch to regain his momentum, to fight the LW champ as originally scheduled, and now to chase a chance at fighting Mayweather. At every step, those are far more important and rewarding fights than a rematch with Aldo. Calling him a chicken is stupid. There simply isn't any incentive to fight Aldo.

I don't think Aldo ducked McGregor in any important sense, but the same is obviously true of McGregor.

Last edited:
What's funny is that McGregor in that very same instance took a fight a weight class up with no belt on the line against an opponent he had not prepared for.

Having a last minute change of opponent is very different than having to take a fight on short notice. Conor has never taken a short notice fight.

I've got no problem with Aldo for turning down that fight, but it leaves him no room to complain now.

What do you mean "no room to complain"?

Did Conor take the UFC194 fight on 12 days notice, coming off a medical suspension, and with no belt on the line? If not, then a "rematch" was never offered.

You do realize that smaller fighters rely heavily on speed and reflexes? Fast twitch muscle fibers degrade significantly in a short period of time, and need to be programmed with rote sparring constantly. Jose Aldo was not afforded any of this having come off a no contact medical suspension, and Dede turning this fight down was what any good coach would do. Especially when Conor is already naturally bigger, and had been bulking up for a 155lb fight.

Conor/Dana essentially saying 'here's your rematch, but you will be significantly handicapped', is not a valid rematch.

Conor/Dana essentially saying 'here's your rematch, but you will be significantly handicapped', is not a valid rematch.
Sure it is. There are fights all the time where one fighter is at a disadvantage. If Aldo wanted the rematch, he should have taken it. And since he didn't take it, he should be realistic to shut up about it. But that isn't really what Aldo wants. He wants to hold the FW belt for as long as possible. That's a pretty reasonable goal.

So do you watch mma to see who the best business man is, or the best fighter?
P0QFEvK.gif

This was one of the greatest match ups of all time. Aldo campaigned against the fight and prayed for Mendes to beat Conor so fans would never see the Conor/Aldo fight.

I guess you wish Aldo had his way and we never got to see them fight?

Sure it is. There are fights all the time where one fighter is at a disadvantage. If Aldo wanted the rematch, he should have taken it. And since he didn't take it, he should be realistic to shut up about it. But that isn't really what Aldo wants. He wants to hold the FW belt for as long as possible. That's a pretty reasonable goal.

That doesn't change the fact that you compared Conor taking on short notice opponents, with Aldo being offered a short notice fight. False equivalency.

Let's be real clear. A "rematch" is a fight under the same circumstances, not where one fighter is now handicapped. That's stacking the deck in one fighter's favor, whereas both fighters were on an even playing field in the original contest.

If you and I play a game of dodgeball and I beat you, then you say you want to play again, if I now stipulate that you have to play blindfolded, that's not a "rematch".

And for the record, while I think a rematch might be more competitive than the first fight, I still think Conor beats him, but please stop parroting this narrative that Jose was offered a "rematch", or that Conor taking on a change of opponent is the same thing as taking a fight on 12 days notice.

This was one of the greatest match ups of all time. Aldo campaigned against the fight and prayed for Mendes to beat Conor so fans would never see the Conor/Aldo fight.

I guess you wish Aldo had his way and we never got to see them fight?

Have a source on that? Or are you just being hyperbolic, therefore devaluing anything you write in this thread?

That doesn't change the fact that you compared Conor taking on short notice opponents, with Aldo being offered a short notice fight. False equivalency.

Yeah, I've addressed that in several quotes. I don't think they are equivalent. I do think they show that Aldo is risk averse compared to McGregor.

Let's be real clear. A "rematch" is a fight under the same circumstances, not where one fighter is now handicapped. That's stacking the deck in one fighter's favor, whereas both fighters were on an even playing field in the original contest.

Sure, in a best case scenario this is obvious the way it should be. But life is rarely about best case scenarios. Aldo got handed a less than perfect opportunity. I think it made sense to reject it, I also think it would have made sense to take it, but it was a risk. In the event, McGregor was beaten by a fighter who hadn't trained longer than Aldo would had.

I've bent over backward saying Aldo shouldn't be faulted for rejecting the rematch as offered. My point is that he should stop running his mouth about it. The chance of him landing a rematch with McGregor at this point is slim to none. The guy who already got a rematch and will definitely get a third fight is Diaz, who seized on the less than perfect opportunity Aldo eschewed.

Yeah, I've addressed that in several quotes. I don't think they are equivalent. I do think they show that Aldo is risk averse compared to McGregor.

Sure, in a best case scenario this is obvious the way it should be. But life is rarely about best case scenarios. Aldo got handed a less than perfect opportunity. I think it made sense to reject it, I also think it would have made sense to take it, but it was a risk. In the event, McGregor was beaten by a fighter who hadn't trained longer than Aldo would had.

I've bent over backward saying Aldo shouldn't be faulted for rejecting the rematch as offered. My point is that he should stop running his mouth about it. The chance of him landing a rematch with McGregor at this point is slim to none. The guy who already got a rematch and will definitely get a third fight is Diaz, who seized on the less than perfect opportunity Aldo eschewed.

Hey buddy, was Diaz recently concussed when he took that fight? No? So stop comparing them. A recently concussed zero training Nate very easily could have been put away in the first. Not to mention the extremely serious long term damage of repeat concussions.

Second, reread what Aldo said. He only mentions McGregor because reporters keep asking him about it, otherwise he wouldn't say shit about it cause he doesn't care anymore. So get off your high horse. You literally don't have a leg to stand on here.

As @Agnawedbone said, did you read the OP? Aldo clearly states that he's only responding because people keep asking him about it.

So what exactly is your point?

Mcg was supposed to be easy work for Aldo...In fact after the weigh ins I picked Aldo to win because mcg looked so drained.

I understand he wants another crack at mcg but he has to build up the fight so that ppl wanna watch it. If Aldo clears 145 of all contenders in the next year or so, then he has a really good case.

Aldo is 100% right. Conor will never make 145lbs. again so unless he's moving himself to LW, a rematch will never fuckin' happen.

“The UFC has tried to do this fight, and he didn’t want it,” Aldo said in a media scrum in Rio de Janeiro (via MMA Fighting). “He’s running. He won't accept it. But we’ll see. I don’t know if this fight happens.”

McGregor never got to defend the 145-pound world title that he won from Aldo in December 2015 at UFC 194. Last November, the UFC stripped him of the title, and subsequently crowned Aldo as the undisputed champion.

Aldo had also previously stated his intent to move up to 155 pounds to face McGregor, but even doing so gives him very little chance for the fight to happen. It is something he had eventually understood, and says he is not losing sleep over it.

"Well, I don’t think about McGregor today,” Aldo said. “I couldn't care less what he’s doing. Like I said, I want to remain champion, I want big fights. If one day I fight him, great. If not, I’ll continue my life, continue being champion, continue being the same person, fighting and winning. I don’t think about Conor today. I only talk about Conor because you ask. F--k him."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/3/2...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Who ?

Hey buddy, was Diaz recently concussed when he took that fight? No? So stop comparing them. A recently concussed zero training Nate very easily could have been put away in the first. Not to mention the extremely serious long term damage of repeat concussions.

Second, reread what Aldo said. He only mentions McGregor because reporters keep asking him about it, otherwise he wouldn't say shit about it cause he doesn't care anymore. So get off your high horse. You literally don't have a leg to stand on here.

I'm not any high horse. When you make the kind of stupid statements you've made in this thread, you get some moderate pushback. Look at how much more respectful I am of both fighters than you are.

For example this:
you retards treat it like fcking gospel to excuse Conor's ducking for a year straight.

As @Agnawedbone said, did you read the OP? Aldo clearly states that he's only responding because people keep asking him about it.
Did you read the comments I was replying to? People saying McGregor is ducking and nonsense like that? This is a natural response. I made it clear I have no beef with Aldo.

Did you read the comments I was replying to? People saying McGregor is ducking and nonsense like that? This is a natural response. I made it clear I have no beef with Aldo.

Fair enough. But you emphatically stated that "your main point was that Aldo should just shut his mouth about it".

In the article posted by OP, Aldo states that he only talks about McGregor because the press keeps asking, that he's essentially moved on.

Not sure why you would attribute what other posters on Sherdog are saying as Aldo needing to shut his mouth....but maybe I'm confused.

Fair enough. But you emphatically stated that "your main point was that Aldo should just shut his mouth about it".

In the article posted by OP, Aldo states that he only talks about McGregor because the press keeps asking, that he's essentially moved on.

Not sure why you would attribute what other posters on Sherdog are saying as Aldo needing to shut his mouth....but maybe I'm confused.

Yeah, I missed that point by Aldo, which obviates the need to say he should shut his mouth. I think he is smart to move on. His legacy is at FW, and McGregor isn't ever coming back to FW.

Back