Jose Aldo Could Still Be Featherweight Champion If He Just Wrestled More

• Thread starter Deleted member 545701
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 545701

Jose-Aldo-end-of-R1-HLs-vs-Max-Holloway-in-the-first-fight-.gif

LinearTallGroundbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Jose Aldo was up 2-0 vs Holloway going into the 3rd round so all he had to do was win one more round and try to ride a decision

instead he stood and traded while gassed and got KO'd

for a guy who has such good TDD and TD's I dont know why the fuck he doesnt use it more often imagine if he wrestled in rounds 3 and 4 and then clinched in the 5th round

he would still be champ

2ytxws3.jpg

Jose-Aldo-vs.-Chan-Sung-Jung-2.gif
tumblr_mr0677tpTY1qaa8d1o1_500.gif
233.gif

GlassLiquidGalago-small.gif

aldo-takedown-defense.gif

Dunno if it would help him against Holloway, but I do agree that he should grapple more.

Funny you mention that...He did, in the second fight in the 3rd round, Aldo tries to take Holloway down which leads to Max getting the dominant position and proceeding to win the fight.

He essentially panic wrestled as he was getting pieced up and was gassed out, but hey, he tried it.

Problem with Aldo is he's not patient and his fights IQ is pretty low for such a legend.

Against Holloway in the rematch he was actually doing really good, he started landing more kicks and his jab to the body was really nice. Go back and watch it. Hollway had his moments as well and looked to have much better distance and range control.

But the fight was pretty close leading up to the 3rd and those kicks were starting to do damage.

So Holloway being smart decided to put the pressure on Aldo. The moment Aldo gets tagged its almost like he can't do anything else but try and throw heavy shots in return. So Max took advantage of this and made Aldo gas in a brawl.

If aldo was to just use his amazing footwork and back away from Holloway every time he wanted to start swinging he could have just kept landing leg kicks, body jab, and the occasinal uppercut, straight left and right he lands.

He tagged Holloway quite a few times in both fights with wicked uppercuts and straight rights. Mix that up with kicks, then disengage and repeat. Eventually chopping down those legs to set up harder punches in the later rounds. But the moment those leg kicks started landing Holloway taunted Aldo dropped his hands and said lets fucking go. Aldo being the hot head he is started swigning hard and when Aldo throws he throws EVERYTHING into his punches, he's very explosive, like Yoel.

The problem is his punches while explosive are tense, so he needs to pace himself. And against a taller and rangy opponent he dropped his gameplan and tried to play a dangerous game against a fighter who knew how to use his reach. So he got fucked up .

He started doing the same thing against Jeremthy luckily he landed that liver punch.

Aldo needs to use the gameplan Conor used against Nate in the rematch. Don't try and brawl against these tall lanky fighters with amazing cardio, its where they thrive. Land land, get out. Rinse and repeat and pray it works.

Last edited:
Dunno if it would help him against Holloway, but I do agree that he should grapple more.

well it'd be better than standing and trading with somebody like Holloway

at least clinch and use your muay thai

Holloway has his number, Aldo still beats everyone else though. Even Mcgregor in a rematch.

Funny you mention that...He did, in the second fight in the 3rd round, Aldo tries to take Holloway down which leads to Max getting the dominant position and proceeding to win the fight.

He essentially panic wrestled as he was getting pieced up and was gassed out, but hey, he tried it.

send me a gif of that shit i havent seen the fight in a while but i dont remember him trying for a take down

Nah max got his number and Ortega would be too much for him to handle. Maybe like a gifted interim champ possibly.

He had his run which is unmatched at FW, but I don’t see him reaching those heights ever again.

send me a gif of that shit i havent seen the fight in a while but i dont remember him trying for a take down

Watch the rematch, the sequence that leads to the ground is him trying to grapple with Max and Max gets the dominant position. I got no reason to lie about the shit, and since it got glossed over, nobody made a gif. I'll give you a link.

2:07

Watch the rematch, the sequence that leads to the ground is him trying to grapple with Max and Max gets the dominant position. I got no reason to lie about the shit, and since it got glossed over, nobody made a gif. I'll give you a link.

2:07

I was referring to the first fight where he had 2 rounds in the bag and he could have wrestled the rest of the fight

that was more of a panic wrestle than an actual strategic move though. He should have gone for that in the first or second round instead of waiting until he got smashed

Jose is a monster... and is still among the elite at FW... but fighting the best 145ers in the world for 8 straight years took its toll on the man... I am not sure that grappling is the ticket for him beating Holloway... if anything, I would have loved to see Aldo double down on the Leg Kicks in the early rounds, to reduce the effectiveness of Max's movement and boxing.... butin every champ's reign, there is a changing of the guard... no one beats father time... I would love to see Aldo grapple more, and I would say that anything could happen in a third fight, but I suspect that Max is just too young and talented for the current version of Jose... I would love to see the 2010 Aldo vs 2018 Holloway though.. 2 great fighters...

I was referring to the first fight where he had 2 rounds in the bag and he could have wrestled the rest of the fight

that was more of a panic wrestle than an actual strategic move though. He should have gone for that in the first or second round instead of waiting until he got smashed

I get what you're saying, but that's easier said than done. Aldo faded in the first fight and he wasn't throwing high volume, he probably would have gassed out faster if he tried to implement a grapple heavy style later on. Also we have to consider Max gets faster as the rounds go on, and picks up the pace and volume. He's also got really a underrated submission game, one sloppy or wrong shot and Max might have easily snatched him.

In the end the dude got bodied twice, Max is simply better than him. And Aldo making a change in style would imply he has the kind of grappling cardio and top control someone like Frankie, or Khabib has to coast to a decision. He's not known for his grappling for a reason, there's nothing that suggest he could just take down Max and all of a sudden he's got this unshakable top control.

I would love to see the 2010 Aldo vs 2018 Holloway though.. 2 great fighters...
and here is the problem with most MMA fans. They continue to rely on the past, and dream about "prime" bullshit.

Never once have I heard another Major League sport talk about Prime vs. Current... like "OMG Prime Reggie Jackson would have destroyed Justin Verlander". It is fucking stupid and it is time for this to end. Lets talk about the actual current state of MMA on 11/15/2018 and not some made-up shit.

it's a shame he doesn't grapple more, he just wants to go for the kill nowadays. kinda wasted potential, in a sense

I don't understand why he doesn't kick anymore. His leg kicks are devastating. He just boxes now. He gave up his best weapon.

Aldo just gets too emotional, if he gets hit he wants to stand and trade and that’s what cost him vs Max who is literally the worst guy in the world you’d want to stand and trade with. Aldo is definitely more skilled than Max but Max was way more durable, I agree with your post though Jose had a retarded game plan.

No he couldn't still be champ

He should wrestle more in the future, but he isn't outwrestling Max significantly enough to make a difference

Aldo will always start well and always get overtaken down the stretch in that matchup

Back