Jos

The thing is that he is a natural LW, and while he could be LW champion he wouldn't be a dominant one. He and Edgar are close to being the same caliber of fighter and Edgar is smaller than him.

I think he's slightly overrated, he grabs the fence, has pretty bad cardio and couldn't even put Edgar in any sort of trouble most of the fight (even though people expected Aldo to murder him).

Bad cuts cause his cardio issues.

In my opinion Aldo is tied with Anderson for #1 p4p. He has already defended his belt 6 times (including WEC) against some pretty good competition Faber, Edgar, Mendes, Florian, etc. and he's only 26. He has a devastating-entertaining fighting style. He'll probably be the first fighter to hold two belts at the same time in the UFC in the next year or so. He gets recognized as a great champ, but when people talk about the very best fighters in the sport Anderson, GSP, and Jones get all the attention, and Aldo might be more skilled than any of them. Because of his weight class he really doesn't get the respect he deserves even with huge MMA fans. If he keeps it up for the rest of his career he should be in the discussion for GOAT.

GOAT ??

Unless he moves up and takes the LW belt he is not in that discussion. Aldo's real elite challenge was edgar and edgar did very well. I still think edgar can beat Aldo and Edgar is actually more accomplished then Aldo in a higher weight class even though he is smaller then Aldo weight wise.

Aldo's weight class is also a sticking point, he fights in a small weight class with a lot of unknowns in terms of divisional fighters. I thought Edgar did enough to beat Aldo and could still beat Aldo and Edgar is not on the p4p list which he should be on.

Faber and Florian are not great wins, they are good wins but not anything special in the scope of p4p rankings. To bad Aldo didnt fight Pettis because Pettis would be the best fighter he has fought and is indeed a top p4p LW fighter.

I think Edgar is the most underrated fighter in the UFC.

Aldo is rightly #4 but in terms of skills aldo is probably the best striker in the UFC outside of that his rank is fine.

Last edited:
I totally agree with TS. Aldo is #2 p4p and way more impressive, diverse, and skilled than GSP. If Aldo was larger he would be tooling around with the best fighters at other weight classes. I would take a 145 lb Aldo over any LW and most of the WWs.

Suspect gas tank? He had one bad weight cut that affected him versus Hominick... but how can you question his gas tank when he just outlasted Frankie Edgar in a 5 round fight?

The Edgar fight was close. Frankie stay with him kinda looked like he did enough to win imo.

The thing is that he is a natural LW, and while he could be LW champion he wouldn't be a dominant one. He and Edgar are close to being the same caliber of fighter and Edgar is smaller than him.

What is this shit?

He's 5'7 with a 70 inch reach... smaller than people like Dustin Porier, Ricardo Lamas and Eric Koch and Korean Zombie.

He'd be an undersized LW... only bigger than the Jim Millers of the division and dwarfed by the Cerrone, TJ Grant, Anthony Pettis' of the division.

He's maybe barely on the larger side of 145... a good mix of length and compact strength... so he can counter stocky powerful wrestlers like Mendes, Gamburyan, and Brown and maintain strength and speed to over come larger opponents like Hominick, Florian.

In writing this, I just noticed that he hasn't really fought many of the larger FW's. Maybe that contributes to this notion that he's too big for 145... or not perfectly suited for it.

He is the most overrated imo. Great fighter but looks very beatable most of the time (unlike Anderson, Jones, or GSP). There are plenty of people who argue that he could clean out 155.

He beat Edgar more convincingly than the 155 champ did, for whatever that's worth.

The Edgar fight was close. Frankie stay with him kinda looked like he did enough to win imo.

Frankie is a great fighter... endless gas tank, very well rounded and tough as nails. I felt Aldo won , didn't even feel it was in question.

And Frankie was robbed in the 2nd fight against Bendo... so even a close fight with Edgar is still impressive.

However... I only brought up that fight to dispell the idea that Aldo has a suspect gas tank all because of one fight years ago where he gassed after a particularly bad weight cut.

The ufc doesn't give him enough face time like they do with rousey, Jones and sonnen

Nor should they. He isn't a draw for fans li ke those fighters are. Promotion money goes to people who will bring fans in to spend money. The UFC isn't some purist organization that is willing to lose money to promote the best fighter than no one cares about. It's the entertainment business first. Fight business second.

Nor should they. He isn't a draw for fans li ke those fighters are. Promotion money goes to people who will bring fans in to spend money. The UFC isn't some purist organization that is willing to lose money to promote the best fighter than no one cares about. It's the entertainment business first. Fight business second.

Agreed.

GOAT ??

Unless he moves up and takes the LW belt he is not in that discussion. Aldo's real elite challenge was edgar and edgar did very well. I still think edgar can beat Aldo and Edgar is actually more accomplished then Aldo in a higher weight class even though he is smaller then Aldo.

Aldo's weight class is also a sticking point, he fights in a small weight class with a lot of unknowns in terms of divisional fighters.

Faber and Florian are not great wins, they are good wins. The only great fighter aldo has fought was Edgar and Mendez and that is about it.

He is rightly #4,

Agreed, That said I think Aldo will do well at LW. His bad weight cuts always gas him in the third. Against Edgar I think the gas tank was a huge benifit to Frankie. Aldo with Cardio is enough to make Mark Hominick wake up in cold sweats at night.

If anything he's overrated.

Overrated?
He's 22 - 1.
Defended his title 6 times.
He's the undisputed champion of his division. Many think he can go to LW and own that division too.
He beat Urijah Faber's ass in a non-competitive fight.
KO'd Cub Swanson in 8 seconds
Beat Mendez and Florian handily.
And he's UNDEFEATED under the Zuffa banner.

I think the thing is that his hype train has slowed down because he went from demolishing everyone in the WEC to decisioning left and right (except 1) in the UFC.

If he was still KOing people in the UFC like in the WEC, he would be getting a lot more attention/hype

He is the most overrated imo. Great fighter but looks very beatable most of the time (unlike Anderson, Jones, or GSP). There are plenty of people who argue that he could clean out 155.

....when did he ever look beatable..? Hominick, after he made him look like the elephant man?

Anderson, Jones and GSP have been in WAY more trouble and looked more beatable then Aldo has. Not even close

So your not denying he has cardio issues?

He really doesn't, the only time I can recall him gassing is against Hominick. People just need to stop listening to Rogan, the guy goes of on these fantasies of Aldo gassing in every one of his fights

Nope,
Everybody agree that he is top 5 p4p list
It just that he is not that famous

He is amazing until his cardio starts to fail him. IMO, he has better skills than JBJ (striking/bjj), GSP (striking/bjj) and better defensive wrestling than Anderson. He is a very complete MMA fighter. With the exception of his cardio. If he could get the cardio to perform at a higher level in rounds 3-5, he would seem pretty unstoppable.

On topic, being ranked p4p #4, #1 in his weight class and easily a top contender in the weight class above his makes it difficult to call him underrated.

He really doesn't, the only time I can recall him gassing is against Hominick. People just need to stop listening to Rogan, the guy goes of on these fantasies of Aldo gassing in every one of his fights

He was also tooling Edgar hard until he started slowing down.

Back