Jones: I would absolutely jump at the opportunity to have a super fight with Weidman!

So you're basically confirming what they said... That he has no interest right now. That's literally what he said, and meanwhile he'd jump at the opportunity to fight Weidman. You honestly don't see it? Nuthuggery at a whole new level. It's right in front of you.

Adding context, to why. That why being the division if filling back up with fights FANS are calling for.

And again you missed the context of the Weidman answer when you say "meanwhile he'd jump at the opportunity to fight Weidman" The context is having the top two new york guys who are champion fight in new york, a state which is MMA is still illegal.

-----

I'll post it again, Because I know you will play dumb or like you didnt see it.

Sherdog.com: What would it mean for you to have a similar opportunity to participate in a fight like that in New York, a state in which you were born and raised and one in which MMA is currently still illegal?

Jones: I think mixed martial arts being legalized in New York State is just a matter of time. We have a lot of intelligent people working on this situation, and I think that every time that you lobby in your state that you’re getting closer and closer. My dream is to fight at Madison Square Garden, and I think that, as a fighter, fighting at the Garden is [the] pinnacle. Muhammad Ali fought there, and Mike Tyson fought there. The greatest fighters of all-time have all gotten to compete at the Garden, so I think that our time will come. I think that our proponents and our people will continue to push for it, and I think that eventually, we won’t be ignored. They just can’t ignore us forever.

Sherdog.com: Have you ever considered what it would be like to face Weidman in an all-New York fight at MSG?
Jones: Oh, man, I think that would be awesome. I would absolutely jump at the opportunity to have a super fight with Chris Weidman. I respect him a lot as a person and as a champion, and I think that that fight would make great sales -- absolutely.

Bones would make it look easy IMO. I love that both these guys are willing to fight each other unfortunately Dana would want them to clean their divisions before they could ever fight.

You can't clean out a division.

Would be a great fight in NY

Adding context, to why. That why being the division if filling back up with fights FANS are calling for.

And again you missed the context of the Weidman answer when you say "meanwhile he'd jump at the opportunity to fight Weidman" The context is having the top two new york guys who are champion fight in new york, a state which is MMA is still illegal.

-----

I'll post it again, Because I know you will play dumb or like you didnt see it.

Sherdog.com: What would it mean for you to have a similar opportunity to participate in a fight like that in New York, a state in which you were born and raised and one in which MMA is currently still illegal?

Jones: I think mixed martial arts being legalized in New York State is just a matter of time. We have a lot of intelligent people working on this situation, and I think that every time that you lobby in your state that you

Would be a great fight in NY….they are both from around there.

Not to nitpick but what do you mean by saying "Would be a great fight in NY….they are both from around there."

They are not from "around there" they are both from New York. Born and raised in New York, not "around there". Weidman lives in Long island New York right near NYC and jones Resides in Ithaca, New York.

Jon is bigger for sure but Weidman is a big dude himself (not much smaller than Phil Davis), and very strong. Most importantly, Weidman is extremely skilled and intelligent too. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe that Weidman is actually more skilled than Jones is. Jones relies more on his size and reach advantage than Weidman does against his opponents.

Weidman's boxing is better than Jon's, his footwork is much better, his BJJ is better (defensively for sure), and his wrestling is just as good if not better too. I'll take the underdog in this super fight, Weidman. If anybody can beat Jon that's smaller than him, it's Chris Weidman, and he's only getting noticeably better every fight. I think by the time they would fight Jones won't be the LHW champion anymore (thx to Gus), but, it would still be, in my mind anyway, a "super fight". Weidman is every bit as good as he's hyped, possibly the most well-rounded fighter in the UFC, and he's dangerous everywhere.

Jones has a history of fighting MWs so I'm not surprised he's excited at the prospect of fighting yet another one.

Jones has a history of fighting MWs so I'm not surprised he's excited at the prospect of fighting yet another one.

I hate Jones but calling Weidman a Middleweight isn't really accurate. He fights at MW but naturally he's a LHW. Weidman is also bigger than a lot of the current LHWs, Cormier included (Cormier is stocky and has wide shoulders but he's not bigger than Weidman). Weidman isn't much smaller than Phil Davis who is one of the bigger LHWs. There's hardly much of a size difference between those two at all, really.

" I would love to fight a smaller guy"

what about a super fight with cain?
- "ummm, ahhh,

LHW's that cut weight to avoid fight HW's when they don't have a height/reach disadvantage is a bitch move in my opinion.

Lol didn't jones say something one the lines of while back " Chris needs to beat a lot of people in MW, before he thought about fighting super fight" when Chris said he would 100% fight jones if UFC let him year or so go. But now he would do the fight if UFC made a match between them two. This dude back paddles a lot on what he says, he is a joke to me .

Just like how Pettis would get manhandled by Hendricks, & GSP would get thrashed by ANderson @ 185lb - Weidman would be destroyed by Jon.

There's a reason he's 'all for' this bout & hesitant to mention Cain. This is a huge payday with little risk for Bones.

Lol, these guys are always happy to fight the lower champ but are ultra hesitant to fight the upper champ

Yep. Weidman has basically been the only guy that's been vocal about wanting to.

lol at people complaining about sizes, Chris and Jon are very similar in size

On Sherdog, height is the only thing that matters. Weidman is actually taller than Cain so he's technically a HW that is ducking both HW and LHW to fight at MW according to shertard logic.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Super fights are generally a bad idea for both fighters because the smaller fighter is at a significant disadvantage and the bigger fighter has very little to gain.

I would never hold it against a fighter for avoiding one.

That said, if Jones and Weidman do happen to sign up for this, damned sure I'd watch it.

Back