Jones: I would absolutely jump at the opportunity to have a super fight with Weidman!

NYmmamafia

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Source and full artical is here http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/10-Questions-for-Jon-Jones-71729

"Have you ever considered what it would be like to face Weidman in an all-New York fight at MSG?
Jones: Oh, man, I think that would be awesome. I would absolutely jump at the opportunity to have a super fight with Chris Weidman. I respect him a lot as a person and as a champion, and I think that that fight would make great sales -- absolutely. "

Last edited:
something something fighting middleweights

Wonder if he'd get that excited to fight Velasquez?

To be fair Weidman is quite a huge MW who could probably fight at 205 and be bigger than quite a few guys in that division if he wanted too.

That said i'd much rather see Jones vs Cain (if he beats Cormier) than Jones vs Wiedman

barhah. Ok I laughed at that.

To be fair, someone asked him the question, its not like he has been going around demanding Weidman fight him. In reality Chris has said he wants this gig as well, and I believe him when he says it.

I think Weidman needs two, maybe three more dominant wins in order for this to make sense.

What does make sense right away - assuming Cain beats Werdum, heavyweight has no other legitimate contender at the moment. That would be a superfight worth booking late 2015.

Shouldn't the very big LHW Jones think about moving to HW and meeting Velasquez or Dos Santos instead of wanting to fight MW?

This isn't very challenging.... But at least Cormier is there, and is fighting at 205 because his friend is holding the HW belt. Cormier isn't protecting itself at a lower weight class.

Lol, these guys are always happy to fight the lower champ but are ultra hesitant to fight the upper champ

Jones isn't interested in fighting anyone he doesn't have a physical advantage over unless you drag him kicking and screaming to the octagon.

He's about to fight Cormier who is probably the only HW that could beat Cain.

nah, DC would get starched and he knows it.

Fighting Cain in Mexico City for the HW Championship would be a way bigger deal to me but im not quite so sure about the average fan.

Shouldn't the very big LHW Jones think about moving to HW and meeting Velasquez or Dos Santos instead of wanting to fight MW?

This isn't very challenging.... But at least Cormier is there, and is fighting at 205 because his friend is holding the HW belt. Cormier isn't protecting itself at a lower weight class.

Talking about Cain and JDS would be a pretty strange answer to "Have you ever considered what it would be like to face Weidman in an all-New York fight at MSG?".

He's about to fight Cormier who is probably the only HW that could beat Cain.

Apart from JDS who did beat Cain...

And he's fighting a small HW at LHW. Totally different. LHWs could beat Fedor at LHW. It's not the same thing.

Talking about Cain and JDS would be a pretty strange answer to "Have you ever considered what it would be like to face Weidman in an all-New York fight at MSG?".

Right, but he could have answered that it was more logic for him to move up.

Lol, these guys are always happy to fight the lower champ but are ultra hesitant to fight the upper champ

Hendricks said he wanted to fight Weidman.

Weidman said he wouldn't be interested in a fight with Hendricks because of his size advantage and would much rather challenge himself by fighting Jones.

Jones wants to fight the guy in the lower weight class.

Back