Jon Jones open to Alexander Gustafsson rematch, doesn't wanna fight in New York City

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
No final decisions have been made, Jones said, but he’s open to the rematch with Gustafsson next.

“Every fight gets my blood flowing,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I know how important it is to never underestimate anyone. I get up for every one. I think the Gustafsson fight is an option for us right now. We’re just going to wait and see. We’re weighing our options right now.”

Jones said his preference going forward is to stay active. He’s targeting a return before the end of the year, but the opponent, date and location are still up in the air, he said. The UFC has five more pay-per-view events remaining on the 2017 calendar, but the one Jones surprisingly is not interested in goes down in his home state of New York.

UFC 217 takes place Nov. 4 in New York City. Jones said he once had dreams and aspirations of fighting at Madison Square Garden, but over time those apparently have fizzled. He said fighting in New York doesn’t make sense from a financial perspective, so whether his next fight is against Gustafsson or someone else, don’t expect it to go down in “The Big Apple”

“To be honest, I love being from New York, but my whole thoughts and dreams of fighting in New York – they’re kind of starting to fade,” Jones said. “Looking at it from a business standpoint, it’s not a really good idea to pay 9 percent to the state of New York off the top just for fighting here. With 9 percent of every $1 million, that will add up real quick.

“I realize people from all over the world are going to watch it, whether it’s in Vegas or Canada or wherever. It would have been great to be the first person to fight at Madison Square Garden, but now that it’s happened and everything … I want to do it eventually, but it’s not something that’s a dream the way it used to be.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/08/ufc-ch...stafsson-rematch-but-not-in-new-york-city/amp

Damn that's a lot of taxes.. However the card is so stacked it's a huge buy rate..

No final decisions have been made, Jones said, but he’s open to the rematch with Gustafsson next.

“Every fight gets my blood flowing,” Jones told MMAjunkie. “I know how important it is to never underestimate anyone. I get up for every one. I think the Gustafsson fight is an option for us right now. We’re just going to wait and see. We’re weighing our options right now.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/08/ufc-ch...stafsson-rematch-but-not-in-new-york-city/amp

<JonesLaugh>

He'll fight wherever the ufc send him

What! Jon Jones doesn't want to fight in NYC either? @Coolidge make that hate thread bro, time's a wastin'.

He'll fight wherever the ufc send him

If the taxes in NY are a pain in the ass, they could book the fight for UFC 218. However the UFC is stacking up these NY MSG cards. So 218 is likely to be a slow one..

I actually did not know this.. Damn they finally got MMA into NY but at a heavy price..

https://www.si.com/mma/2016/03/23/m...lization-new-york-state-legal-economic-impact

"MMA will also be taxed in New York and at a rate higher than boxing or wrestling. According to the language of the S05949, the state will impose an 8.5% tax on receipts on ticket sales to MMA fights, whereas gate receipts for boxing and wrestling matches are only taxed at 3%."

Both male and female GOATs not interested in NY fights. Strange.

If the taxes in NY are a pain in the ass, they could book the fight for UFC 218. However the UFC is stacking up these NY MSG cards. So 218 is likely to be a slow one..
I don't see him back till late November or December. No idea when 218 is.

Volkan Oezdemir would be the better option.The Swiss presents a new set of challenges for Jones:
A granite chin,admittedly Rumble himself couldn't crack
A wild fearless attitude
An uncanny ability to generate power in the clinch and from weird angles.
Gustaffsson would be next..

Volkan Oezdemir would be the better option.The Swiss presents a new set of challenges for Jones:
A wild fearless attitude

Volkan should beat one more guy. He is basically new to the division even though he is winning easy..

Gotta say, as someone who isn't a Jones fan, I at least like the way he has been marketing / presenting himself as of late.

He beats Gus and maybe Rumble (if he comes back) and clears out the division, then maybe takes a HW superfight or two, he is pretty much one of the, if not THE all time greatest in MMA.

That was hard to say. lmao

A wild fearless attitude
And Rumble still thinks Jones wins that fight in his opinion. For what that's worth.

He will fight at end of the year card vs gus and end him for good

Jones is all about the money right now and he does not even try to hide it. Cool for him.

I dont understand why more fighters don't act like this. There are so many fighters (Woodley) who complain about not making enough money but then beg to get on a madison square garden card. Just weird.

9% tax for MMA compared to 3% for Boxing and Wrestling?!?!

How is that even legal?

Back