Jon Jones' Natural Fighting Ability | Page 2

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by La Elefante, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Bones245n4847 Red Belt

Bones245n4847
    I heard early in his career like his first 10 fights or so his training was basically watching youtube vids and shadow boxing.

Gamer007 and La Elefante like this.
  2. Koro_11 Yellow Card

Koro_11
    Now compare him to small HW's who dont cut weight and guys who move up in weight class, and who dont dwarf all their opponents.

SnowBlynd and One MMA Fan like this.
  3. Phronimos The truth don't have to be validated by ignorance.

Phronimos
    Who knows?
    He fought his brothers all his life.
    He comes from a very athletic family.
    He is a quick study.
    He's a natural, but he probably could have been successful at whatever he put his mind into.
    He's a freak, for sure.

MusterX likes this.
  4. MusterX Steel Belt

MusterX
    HAHA, yea I've heard that too, not sure how true it is but even if its a little bit true its pretty hilarious. His NFL brothers, especially Arthur wrestled and fought with him constantly according to family stories and he was "street fighting" guys when he was a teen, throwing people through windows, that is if the stories are to be believed. Seems believable since he was the youngest champion in UFC history. Apparently he just likes to punch faces and will do it for free. Like when he tells DC's team, don't look at me, I'll fuck you up too, I believe he means it, right there in a parking lot.

5. sonofjay817 Purple Belt

sonofjay817
    It would literally be a much bigger upset than that. It would be totally ludicrous.

TIMELESS TRUTH and Arm Barbarian like this.
  6. A.S. Deep Purple Belt

A.S. Deep
    He's wrestled most of his life and spent his life wrestling with his older, stronger brother who's supposed to be a stud wrestler. In camp he also takes his sparring very seriously and makes sure to avoid any brain injury. He's also with a camp known for avoiding risk in fights, which is why he hasn't burnt out or gotten too injured after nearly a decade of fighting. He may party because he loves having a good time, but when it comes time to fight and get ready to fight, he takes his work seriously and he seems to love it.

7. Cannon00 Orange Belt

Cannon00
    Jones had over half a decade of wrestling training. If you watch his amateur wrestling, his style even then was tailor made for mma. By the time he fought Shogun in 2011 he'd been training in mma for 3 years; he started training at Jackson's in 2009. I think 8+ years of martial arts training, including 2 at the best gym in the game is enough to get about as good as you're ever going to get.

8. Codpiece Girdle of phallic enhancement

Codpiece
    He is an absolutely freakish talent. Insane fight IQ, physically gifted and an incredible competitive will.

MusterX and La Elefante like this.
  9. MusterX Steel Belt

MusterX
    I don't know about that. I honestly think 30 year old Jones kicks the shit out of 23 year old Jones. 23 year old Jones was devastating, but reckless. 30 year old Jones would methodically chop him down. So basically I'm saying I think he has got better for much longer than 8 years.

TIMELESS TRUTH likes this.
  10. sonofjay817 Purple Belt

sonofjay817
    Nah, you don't have to. You can do whatever the flippety flippety you wanna do. Drop several thousand on the one who SHOULD win this fight a
    LIke you say, if he wins this one, I'll never doubt him again, even if he fights Stipe or Cain.

11. Hoop Black Belt

Hoop
    I didn't think so the first fight. The finish in the second fight was violent and went on longer than it probably should have due to McCarthy giving Cormier the benefit of the doubt.

As for him being more aggressive, that was not a knock on him, it's my own personal 'what I'd like to see him be' type of thing. Obviously every fight doesn't end in a finish, but when you see a lot of fighters become Champion, they're a lot more calculated and have a lot more to lose if they lose a fight.

Obviously the competition gets better the more you win, but fights like Vera and Hamill which were 'fuck me' moments as he quickly pummeled them, I think he can do that to any LHW, but it's easy for me to say that behind my screen. I felt that in the 1st Cormier and Gustafsson fight, they got the ball rolling in those fights and Jones replied in kind.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  12. Joker Jiujitsu It's Showtime

Joker Jiujitsu
    I get what you are saying, but there's a few things wrong with your statement:

Floyd wasn't a champion 19 years ago. He didn't really become a star till he fought De La Hoya. He wasn't fighting the best in the world back then.

MMA has evolved WAY more in 19 years than boxing. Boxing has changed a little, but the sport has been around for over a century, so it isn't changing as quickly. MMA went through massive evolution after evolution over the past 19 years, so it wouldn't be the same.

And lastly, Floyd has taken several breaks/hiatuses. He was not active for all 19 years.

13. Clippy King of the Dump

Clippy
    He's good at poking ppl in the eyes

14. riitzni Red Belt

riitzni
    Toluca Prison, hanging with the convicts and carvi
    The thing about Jones is that he has every possible advantage necessary and even with his personal life in shambles he can still whip ass like no one before. If he had no chin / defense, he would have lost by now. If he had no heart, no ability to dig deep and refuse to be beaten, he would have lost by now. If he had a bad coach instead of one of the most successful gyms in MMA, I think he would have lost already too. If he had no fight IQ, he definitely would have lost already.

Instead he's got everything, the physical tools, the psycho instinct. Fuck, Lyoto came the closest to putting him down just for a brief moment and Jones responded by almost killing him.

15. MarcoW Bojacked Horsehungman

MarcoW
    Rory is a vicious fighter. Not sure how you could say he has no natural ability

16. MarcoW Bojacked Horsehungman

MarcoW
    His career isnt over either he will be bellator champ for sure and wouldnt be surprised of ufc wabts him back after

17. fzoid4454 Purple Belt

fzoid4454
    Plus, when you're the champ, you are defending against championship level opposition, all the time. They are more dangerous, plus they are much more capable of neutralizing or defending against what you do.

People often complain about champs who don't just cut through all the opposition like they did fighting gatekeepers and lower-level prospects when they were building their resumes, as if they got more cautious and timid once they got the belt, but it's simply a matter of fighting much, much better opposition, and much much better opposition is going to make you look less dominant, on average.

18. Chain Saw Black Belt

Chain Saw
    He's been wrestling his whole life...

19. NC252 Blue Belt

NC252
    I think Gufstason was the closest to putting him down not Machida. I always liked that picture of Jones and Gufstason at the hospital after the fight Jones is in a bed with IVs hooked up Gufstason is standing there in a jacket with his arm around him, ready to go home. If not for judges anyone that saw that picture would say Gufstason won that fight. Can't wait to see what happens in the rematch if there is one.

20. ShreddinMMA Gold Belt

ShreddinMMA
    You do realize he was a seasoned wrestler at that point, right?

That is the definition of formal training.