Jon Jones' Natural Fighting Ability

La Elefante

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Is unparalleled. A couple years before becoming the youngest UFC champion, he was partying and getting in fights throwing people out windows according to his roommate. Zero formal martial arts training, then UFC champ a few years later.

Compare him to Rory Macdonald or Sage Northcutt who have picture perfect upbringings to fight, but just don't have the natural raw fighting ability.

Discuss.

I don't buy his "not training" shit tbh, but Jones is definitely a BAMF.

Really smart fight IQ with great physical gifts, and he's a SUPER tough dude, with an iron jaw to boot.

Well he was state champ wrestler who won a Juco national championship and received scholarship offers at Iowa State and Oklahoma State so this "no training" narrative is a bit misleading. He was probably ad libbing his striking in the early going but I'm sure he's always been a monstrous grappler. Wrestling is and always will be the best base for MMA and that's something that Jon possessed in spades that Sage and Rory really didn't.

I don't buy his "not training" shit tbh, but Jones is definitely a BAMF.

Really smart fight IQ with great physical gifts, and he's a SUPER tough dude, with an iron jaw to boot.
I think he works as hard as anyone else, but if he had zero MMA training I still think he could dominate the amateur circuit strictly on god given talent.

th

One thing about Jones is, if he could throw the jab more effectively, it's going to make it so much harder to get on the inside - and even when fighters do, he man handles them.

He seems to have that freakish strength which must feel like a vice grip when he clinches up with someone. Every fighter could work on something better; I think the jab, holding his guard up better and personally I'd like to see him more aggressive like earlier in his UFC career, but when he's in the top tier getting paid, he has a lot to lose.

It took me years to admit it but he is the best, that fucker lol.

Hard to admit, but

159.gif

You aren't alone. I've talked shit about Conor McGregor for the last 3 years and now that he is fighting Floyd I have to pull for him on behalf of MMA, and god help me if he beats Floyd, I'll be forced to accept that he's a gdamn ninja.

How does Rory lack natural raw fighting ability?

One thing about Jones is, if he could throw the jab more effectively, it's going to make it so much harder to get on the inside - and even when fighters do, he man handles them.

He seems to have that freakish strength which must feel like a vice grip when he clinches up with someone. Every fighter could work on something better; I think the jab, holding his guard up better and personally I'd like to see him more aggressive like earlier in his UFC career, but when he's in the top tier getting paid, he has a lot to lose.

he seemed pretty aggressive against DC both times.

Rory has plenty of raw ability and athleticism. He is pretty tough (broken nose against Lawler for example) and a strong dude at 170.

You aren't alone. I've talked shit about Conor McGregor for the last 3 years and now that he is fighting Floyd I have to pull for him on behalf of MMA, and god help me if he beats Floyd, I'll be forced to accept that he's a gdamn ninja.

That would literally be right up there with Bisping / Rockhold 2 for me.

He wins that shit, and I'mma STFU for a LONG ass time.

That would literally be right up there with Bisping / Rockhold 2 for me.

He wins that shit, and I'mma STFU for a LONG ass time.

It would be up there with the greatest upsets in sports history man. Any sport......

Floyd is 49-0 and went undefeated for an astounding 19 years. That's almost as long as the UFC has existed. It would be like a guy winning a belt at UFC 13 and still champion today, never having lost. So for McGregor to overcome that would implode 3rd world nations.

He's been wrestling since he was a kid and won a juco national championship, so let's maybe slow down on the "no training".

He does have an unusually good build for fighting. It's really uncommon for someone have such strong legs that somehow never gain any size, allowing more upper body mass while still making weight. If his legs were proportional to his upper body, he'd probably be a solid 245ish, which helps him just overpower guys who are pretty strong 205ers themselves, and a really good chin on top of that.

Is unparalleled. A couple years before becoming the youngest UFC champion, he was partying and getting in fights throwing people out windows according to his roommate. Zero formal martial arts training, then UFC champ a few years later.

Compare him to Rory Macdonald or Sage Northcutt who have picture perfect upbringings to fight, but just don't have the natural raw fighting ability.

Discuss.

You can't really make that claim about Rory...he's a great fighter who's had an outstanding career.

Some guys just have that knack for violence. Couple that with a great physique (minus his legs) and high fight IQ and you got a fuckin killer

You can't really make that claim about Rory...he's a great fighter who's had an outstanding career.
He has had a great career, but watch the Lawler fight. One of them was the alpha in that fight and it wasnt Rory(i hate using that word, but was necessary). His superior technique couldnt match the heart and instincts of Robbie.
200.gif

Some guys just have that knack for violence. Couple that with a great physique (minus his legs) and high fight IQ and you got a fuckin killer
Exactly, some fighters are killers in there and some have too much compassion for their opponent. See henderson dropping the bomb on bisping and urijah hall feeling bad for KOing his opponent

Back