Jon Jones: "I owe Gustafsson a severe beating."

Lets be honest

Gus did not earn that #2 spot. He was given it because of his jones fight. You dont move ahead of everyone that you have not faced because you put up a good fight with the champ.

He climbed over everyone else who could possibly be stylistic problems for him into the #2 spot. His two wins higher ranked wins are shogun and Manuwa

I like Gus but-
I dont think he beats
Rashad, DC or Rumble
Gus Possibly looses to Glover as well.
Theres a reason they gave him an unranked after the Jones fight

He doesnt have a legit spot at #2

So losing to the champion, however close it was is earning a #2 ranked spot over ranked fighters ?

Gus jumped over other ranked fighters because of a good fight against Jones. Lets be honest here, he has not earned that rank yet. His two ranked wins are shogun and Manuwa.

y, thats exactly how you earn an instant rematch, having a really close fight against the champion

You honestly do not see any conflict between your second and your third sentences?

I dont

When we say earn it, we mean wins and ranked wins. Having a close fight with Jones is not earning a #2 ranked spot over ranked fighters he did not fight. Some of which could be stylistic problems for Gus and have wins over more ranked fighters.

Gus has his job cut out for him in terms of facing the rest of the division. I am saying he did not really earn that rank IMO.

I dont

When we say earn it, we mean wins. Having a close fight with Jones is not earning a #2 ranked spot over ranked fighters he did not fight. Some of which could be stylstic problems for Gus and have wins over top ranked fighters.

In reality he has his job cut out in terms of facing the rest of the division and other ranked fighters.

Fighters are not currently ranked based on their wins. You may wish they were, but it is a fact that they are not. They are ranked based on subjective estimations of their abilities by sports writers.

Gustaffson showed a lot of heart and skill against the world's best fighter and by a large margin was Jones' biggest challenge to date. Given that Jones is easily the best LHW ever, that is plenty enough to earn Gus his current ranking.

y, thats exactly how you earn an instant rematch, having a really close fight against the champion

I think Gus is a terrific fighter and he is theoretically IMO #2 or #3. It does not mean that I feel he earned the spot. I think he earns the spot when he faces the other top division fighters he jumped over.

Fighters are not currently ranked based on their wins. You may wish they were, but it is a fact that they are not. They are ranked based on subjective estimations of their abilities by sports writers.

Gustaffson showed a lot of heart and skill against the world's best fighter and by a large margin was Jones' biggest challenge to date. Given that Jones is easily the best LHW ever, that is plenty enough to earn Gus his current ranking.

I know rankings are based on subjective estimations but his two best wins are Shogun and Manuwa.

He was jones biggest challenge but its hard to see him frog leap over ranked fighters in the division who have more current ranked wins or were ahead of him.

It could of been a off night for Jones or Gus could be a stylistic nightmare for Jones and not other division fighters. My contention is him leap frogging over current LHW's after a loss and his short resume of top division wins.

IMO, I dont think he earned the spot but he may in time.

Last edited:
Honestly, if Jones didn't land that one elbow that rocked Gus, I would say he basically got his ass kicked. That elbow was the best strike of the fight. Besides that elbow, Jones got beat up bad. He scored a lot with leg kicks, but it really didn't seem like those actually hurt Gus much. Gus was head hunting, and doing more damage over the course of the fight. Jones can say what he wants, but I think he knows Gus is gonna give him trouble again.....

6a00d8341bf8f353ef019aff8bdddb970c-pi

Such a vulgar display of power

So you think he is good enough to be ranked where he is. Lol. Why are you even arguing then?

I said I don't think he earned the rank and that is why I am arguing.

The word here is "earned"

I think many fighters are good enough to be ranked at #2.

No, no one was finished. That was the closest to a finish in that fight which meets judging criteria.

Jones won because he outscored Gus, plain and simple. Judges knew it, reputable media knew it.

Gus did come remotely close to beating Jones in a true champion sense.
Jones BEAT Shogun
Shogun BEAT Machida
Machida BEAT Rahad
Rashad BEAT Forrest

it goes on and on.

Guss did well enough to inflict some damage and not get finished

That's very arguable. Judges get fights wrong all the time, and Gus also did do enough to out point Jones in that fight. Hence all the controversy.

In terms of sheer damage, it was very obvious to anyone watching that Gus won in that department. Hence why Jones feels the need to reciprocate.

Did you see the fight? Both Gus and Jones were very impressive. Given that Jones is the far and away number one in the division, and not much separated the two in that fight, it is reasonable to conclude from that loss (and his other wins) that Gus is the number two fighter in the division. I personally would put Cormier as the second best LHW going into his title fight.

I would have Rumble as #2 and DC as #3.

Rumble has beat: Kyle, Lil Nog and Phil Davis @ LHW THIS YEAR.

I don't see how anybody can have anyone other than Jones above Rumble @ LHW.

Jones will beat Gus easily in a rematch. He underestimated him the first time. He'll come in a with a better game plan next time. Jones is just the better fighter.

I like Gus but-
I dont think he beats
Rashad, DC or Rumble
Gus Possibly looses to Glover as well.
Theres a reason they gave him an unranked after the Jones fight

He doesnt have a legit spot at #2

At least some people are realistic and have a grip on reality.

I have Rumble as the clear #2.

That's very arguable. Judges get fights wrong all the time, and Gus also did do enough to out point Jones in that fight. Hence all the controversy.

In terms of sheer damage, it was very obvious to anyone watching that Gus won in that department. Hence why Jones feels the need to reciprocate.

Well fights arent based on cosmetic damage.
If so GSP had lost almost all of his final few fights
Judges, major media outlets scored it Jones

There isnt a controversy, it only exists on websites with voraciously vocal detractors of Jones

Well fights arent based on cosmetic damage.
If so GSP had lost almost all of his final few fights
Judges, major media outlets scored it Jones

There isnt a controversy, it only exists on websites with voraciously vocal detractors of Jones

I didn't say fights were based off of cosmetic damage.

I was saying Judges get fights wrong, and Gus did do enough to out point Jones, which is why we're seeing controversy and that on the over all damage side of things, Gus did more damage to Jones.

I didn't say fights were based off of cosmetic damage.

I was saying Judges get fights wrong, and Gus did do enough to out point Jones, which is why we're seeing controversy and that on the damage side of things, (who got beat up) Gus did more damage to Jones.

No, he didn't. It was close, yes but Gus landed mostly jabs, and Jon landed the more powerful blows. Elbows, head kicks, leg kicks, was the closest to finishing the fight and was winning the fight at the end. If you would have judged the fight by Pride rules, he still would have won.
That fight wasn't Hendricks vs GSP.

No, he didn't. Gus landed mostly jabs, and Jon landed the more powerful blows, i.e. elbows, head kicks, and leg kicks, was the closest to finishing the fight and was winning the fight at the end. If you would have judged the fight by Pride rules, he still would have won.
That fight wasn't Hendricks vs GSP.

Nope, Gus did more damage. Hell just look at them after the fight, the evidence is right there. Gus looks like he was in a fight, Jones looks like he was in a car accident, limping in that video, on a stretcher after the fight, face doesn't even look like him anymore etc.

There's a reason Jones says he "owes" Gus a beating, it's because he took one from him. It's a reciprocal statement.

Back