Jon jones: "I have no desire to fight Dan Henderson"

Jones is a terrible match-up for Hendo based on his style, size, and cardio. Jones is keen to avoid this fight at all costs. He's right, it doesn't prove anything to beat such an old version of Hendo especially on a 2 fight losing streak. He's the champ and he should take meaningful fights against new contenders. He's already beat enough fighters at the downside of their careers and he deserves guys that will build his legacy with a win over them.

He'd walk through him and finish him via sub in the 1st or 2nd. Wouldn't be fun to watch at all, would probably be pretty depressing actually.

I think Dan is one of the greatest fighters with one of the most incredible resumes in mma history. I don't want to see him fight Jones. He'd get punished in that fight and his gas tank would be empty after 2 minutes. Henderson should be finishing his career against other legends: Wand, Shogun, Belfort.

I think Dan is one of the greatest fighters with one of the most incredible resumes in mma history. I don't want to see him fight Jones. He'd get punished in that fight and his gas tank would be empty after 2 minutes. Henderson should be finishing his career against other legends: Wand, Shogun, Belfort.

Very good point.

Jon said in an interview that he has no desire to fight Henderson as you can see he has started to slow down in his last fights. Jones also says he thinks people would pick him to beat Hendo anyways so it's not really proving anything if he fights him.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/15/4524750/ufc-jon-jones-dan-henderson

Well with Hendo coming of a loss there is not really any reason to and I don't think the UFC is trying to put that fight together. If Hendo puts together a few good wins then a title shot might be in order but considering Hendo's age that's not likely... By the time he wins a couple fights to get back into the conversation he'll be like 45.

Last edited:
well it'd be pointless now that hendo lost his last 2

He'd walk through him and finish him via sub in the 1st or 2nd. Wouldn't be fun to watch at all, would probably be pretty depressing actually.

Agreed. I love Hendo but Jones is on another level right now, it wouldn't even be a fair fight.

to be quite honest, Dan Henderson is no longer in the conversation. 2 losses are still 2 losses and hard to market to make a claim for the title. If Dan ever climbs back up, Jones has no say but at the moment, he is not only correct but need not even comment on Henderson.

Exactly... At 40+ years old and coming off 2 losses I don't think anyone is trying to push a Jones-Hendo fight anyways.

Jones sounding like Anderson. I hope he snaps out of it.

A champion should have no problem fighting anyone.

Agreed, and I wanted to see that fight so bad at first. Hendo vs Thiago Silva sounds like the fight to make.

I think Hendo vs. Wandy 3 would be a very entertaining fight, both are past their primes but love to throw down.

Jones is easily current #1 p4p but implying he doesn't want to fight Hendo cause it isn't a big enough challenge is kinda odd considering the LHW champ's last two fights have been vs MWs

Translation would be I have no desire to beat Hendo and him complain that he couldn't hit me with anything afterwards. :icon_lol:............................I want an updated opponent with current skills not just one skill.

Jones deserves better competition, and everybody will pick Jones to beat anyone not just Hendo.

I can see where Jon is coming from.

Dan has shown little in his past 2 fights that shows he has anything for Jones. He is also on a 2 fight losing streak, and both were unremarkable fights imo.

Jones is easily current #1 p4p but implying he doesn't want to fight Hendo cause it isn't a big enough challenge is kinda odd considering the LHW champ's last two fights have been vs MWs

Exactly. Not the first time he's spoke out about potential opponents. Not too long ago he was saying he doesn't want to fight Machida again because he won't make money from it.

It's not being cocky ... its being real.

Hendo lost to Machida and Rashad and BARELY beat Shogun.

There is nothing that looks like he would be a challenge for Jones at this stage in his career.

Vitor at least had speed and power.
Sonnen had cardio and wrestling.

Nothing Hendo has looks to present a threat at all to Jones. That right hand won't ever get close to Jones if he couldn't land on Rashad or Machida.

Back