Jon Jones, Fabricio Werdum and Dominick Cruz: Smartest guys in the game?

Stefan Struve
lol Struve is hilarious, every interview he says "this fight I will use my length and reach, and I have been training to use the distance, its really gonna show on saturday night". hahaha then the fight happens and he is inside the pocket for the full 3 rounds and becomes a punching bag hahaha

Interesting question, of the champions fighter IQ'S
Joanna (Ok)
Tate (Good)
MM (Good)
Cruz (Great)
McGregor (Good, but still inexperienced)
RDA (ok)
Lawler (ok)
Rockhold (Good)
Jones (Great)
Werdum (Good)

imo

I think some of the smartest non-champions would be Frankie Edgar, Urijah Faber, Cerrone, Condit, Silva

I agree with you in pretty much every aspect except I dunno how you can't see Werdum as being among the best in fight IQ. His standup is mediocre but he has managed to get the best of the standup in most of his fights via strategy. He stifles his opponents' offense and is almost always able to take them out of their element, and it has very little to do with physical tools.

Cruz definitely numero uno.

In the prediction game it's Khabib, without a doubt. Picked RDA over Pettis people thought he was drunk. Also said Barboza would beat up Pettis in the striking. Khabib knows o_O

Jones doesnt really seem that smart to me, cruz, overeem werdum sure

Jones doesnt really seem that smart to me, cruz, overeem werdum sure
Overeem? Really? I would say he has some of the worst fight IQ, although Jackson has been helping that. He has lost several fights where he had the superior talent and physical tools. Yes, cardio was a big factor but so was fight IQ, IMO

He isn't attractive if u haven't noticed. I'm not gay but dang he is fugly
True, but when you are rich with huge muscles you still pretty much have your pick of almost any woman you want.

I would pick someone who does not have the crazy genetics those guys have and relies more on technique and understanding his own limits.

Cruz does not have any "crazy genetics", at least physical. You might call a very high IQ, iron will and dedication crazy genetics, but it's debatable.

Imho, these 3 have the best "brains" in the game nowadays, they have great fight IQ, and are really good breaking down their opponents. I think Conor has a great mind too, but these 3 are above him by now.
So, what you guys think, agree or disagree? If you want, add some other high IQ fighters!

I think Cruz is the best IQ fighter, only because he can articulate what he knows. Perhaps, there are other fighting geniuses that can not talk like cruz? But, I give edge to cruz....I never looked at werdum IQ in fighting....but, others, ...I think cruz wins....I always listen to him. JJ is up there too but he does not tell people what he thinks...he learned off youtube....he is very smart....he just does not give himself away.

Overeem? Really? I would say he has some of the worst fight IQ, although Jackson has been helping that. He has lost several fights where he had the superior talent and physical tools. Yes, cardio was a big factor but so was fight IQ, IMO

He's gone from a neanderthal to a cage mastermind.

True, but when you are rich with huge muscles you still pretty much have your pick of almost any woman you want.
Makes u wonder why Stephanie settled for him. She an heiress to wwe and good looking and really young when they got together. I must say I'm jealous

Cruz does not have any "crazy genetics", at least physical. You might call a very high IQ, iron will and dedication crazy genetics, but it's debatable.

Disagree. To be able to move like him requires insane fast twitch fibers and hand eye coordination. There are genetic limits for both of those attributes.

I think some of the smartest non-champions would be Frankie Edgar, Urijah Faber, Cerrone, Condit, Silva

Which Silva are you talking about? Anderson? I've never really seen anything from him to indicate he is especially cerebral or brilliant with game planning. For the most part he has always relied on reflexes and striking precision to win fights; never has he shown much interest in or ability at fighting smart and winning rounds.

He's gone from a neanderthal to a cage mastermind.

Well I'm not on board with that statement but his fight iq has definitely improved. I'm simultaneously impressed and mad at Jackson/wink for making him a smarter fighter but taming a beast. I guess they had to :(

I get it, they are great for gameplanning but it sometimes comes at the expense of "just bleed". Lol. Some guys can gameplan and still bring it, like werdum (after his last AO fight).

Last edited:
Randy Couture was always good with game plans. He was very good at analyzing opponents and breaking them down over the course of a fight. I remember him essentially describing exactly how his fight with Gonzaga would go before it happened. He pretty much called his shot with the third round TKO.

And of course Fedor in his prime was a brilliant tactician as well. His fights with Nogueira and Cro Cop were well planned.

Disagree. To be able to move like him requires insane fast twitch fibers and hand eye coordination. There are genetic limits for both of those attributes.

It's not like he suddenly came out and started dancing around. He drilled his movements for years. Look at him in his early days for example against Faber the first time, he looked pretty ordinary. Even if there was a gift, it needed to be developed.

Hand eye coordination is essential to have success at any sport that require aiming and throwing and fighters who don't have it usually get thwarted by natural selection process. He's no more gifted than anyone at the top of the food chain.

Back