JOKER Origin Movie (First Poster Released)

Will Joaquin Phoenix make a good Joker

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joaquin might be the best actor working today. I think he could kill almost any role he's handed.

The guy has some damn chops..

I see him doing better the Leto & Uncle Jack..

Joaquin is a fantastic actor. I think he’ll be really good, however he chooses to approach the role.

joker-joaquin-phoenix.jpg

He can’t be any worse than Leto, right? With Scorsese being an executive producer on the film, I think it will definitely help the movies chances in doing well. Joaquin was excellent in the movie You Were Never Really Here and I can see his crazy side as the joker being on par with Ledgers. Also, Affleck won’t be Batman so that’s another positive going for this movie.

Who would you like to see play Batman?

In order for me:

Jake Gyllenhaal
Michael Fassbender
Michael C Hall

He's a way better actor than jared leto. I can see him doing a great job at it. Not sure if ledger will ever be beat but if someone can i think he's a good candidate to do so.

I'm guessing something between his performances in The Master and Gladiator? Interesting to see whether this is R rated or not? 55 million budget means it potentially could be.

I think DC's greatest error besides generally rushing things is that by trying to copy Marvel with hero centric team films they've not left much room for villians and arguably that's their main strength over Marvel.

Last edited:
I'm guessing something between his performances in The Master and Gladiator? Interesting to see whether this is R rated or not? 55 million budget means it potentially could be.

Generally I think DC's greatest error besides generally rushing things is that by trying to copy Marvel with hero centric team films they've not left much room for villians and arguably that's their main strength over Marvel.
What also hurts DC is picking and choosing which elements to adapt, but still straying afield with core themes. Marvel hews closer to whole stories from comic books, and keeps characters light and airy.

There's that other thread discussing which Hulk is preferred; Hulk is a prime example of my highlighted difference. There's a wide gap between Ruffalo's version and his predecessors. Not unlike how Homer Simpson started off more like a gruff, ape-ish dad figure and evolved into a loveable and oafish buffoon.

He is going to be great, Leto is an emo who was obviously given far too much creative control over the joker, tattoos? You really thought that would go over well with such a soulless performance?

Phoenix on the other hand has shown he doesn’t screw around with the projects he chose, walk the line, her, gladiator and the master. He is, in my mind, the only real successor to DeNiro

If I remember correctly, he was offered Dr Strange LONG before Benedict Cumberbatch. He didn't want to commit to a superhero movie so it went to B.C.
He wouldve been an amazing dr strange.
With that said, he probably wouldn't do Joker either, but if he did, he would do an amazing job.

Anythings better than that "version" Leto did, that was abhorrent

I just hope he's hamming it up and chewing the scenery just as much as he did in Gladiator

7Mow.gif

ComplicatedScornfulGoa-max-1mb.gif

Dicaprio as Batman sounds legit. He could play a good Bruce Wayne.

joker-joaquin-phoenix.jpg

He can’t be any worse than Leto, right? With Scorsese being an executive producer on the film, I think it will definitely help the movies chances in doing well. Joaquin was excellent in the movie You Were Never Really Here and I can see his crazy side as the joker being on par with Ledgers. Also, Affleck won’t be Batman so that’s another positive going for this movie.

Who would you like to see play Batman?

In order for me:

Jake Gyllenhaal
Michael Fassbender
Michael C Hall
The Joaqer

Is this that dumb 'origins' film? If so it's too bad because I think Phoenix is a great choice to play Mr J. But trying to explain the Jokers madness isn't going to go well I'm betting.

Is this that dumb 'origins' film? If so it's too bad because I think Phoenix is a great choice to play Mr J. But trying to explain the Jokers madness isn't going to go well I'm betting.
I find a lot of Scorsese's films are narratively nebulous and often times it's up for debate exactly what we're seeing. I think that works for a Joker origin. I think Scorsese isn't directing this one, but I could see how a highly ambiguous film might work.

Would have preferred Adrien Brody.

Always thought he could have made a perfect Joker

ERE47SLJ44VOQMTHQYOD64ZXEU.jpg

I find a lot of Scorsese's films are narratively nebulous and often times it's up for debate exactly what we're seeing. I think that works for a Joker origin. I think Scorsese isn't directing this one, but I could see how a highly ambiguous film might work.

Maybe. But trying to give you the Boogeymans backstory is kind of a direct shot on the B-mans street cred when you find out his real name is Thad and that his mom used to read him Dr Seuss stories before bedtime.

The Boogeyman is more effective when all you know about him is that.. he's the fucking Boogeyman, and he's gonna getcha

The Boogeyman is more effective when all you know about him is that.. he's the fucking Boogeyman.

As a general rule I agree with this, but there are exceptions to every rule, & personally I thought they kinda nailed it with this one

250px-Killingjoke.JPG

As a general rule I agree with this, but there are exceptions to every rule, & personally I thought they kinda nailed it with this one

250px-Killingjoke.JPG

Killing Joke wasn't meant be canon tho, was it?

DC's funny about what makes it into canon.

Selina Kyle's hooker history wasn't canon until Frank Miller made her one in THE DARK KNIGHT/YEAR ONE.

Maybe. But trying to give you the Boogeymans backstory is kind of a direct shot on the B-mans street cred when you find out his real name is Thad and that his mom used to read him Dr Seuss stories before bedtime.

The Boogeyman is more effective when all you know about him is that.. he's the fucking Boogeyman, and he's gonna getcha
I feel that way about Wolverine's backstory. The more we know about who he was before he became the best there is at what he does, the weaker he becomes.

Barry Windsor-Smith's WEAPON X saga elegantly played into an origin while still making his history mysterious (if only out of deference to Claremont), and then Larry Hama (I think) inserted a neat save-all: memory implants. Which meant that any, some or all the origin stories could be regarded as false.

And it's kind of the same with the Joker. I feel that largely his origin stories are couched as tales being recounted by unreliable narrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back