Locked JOKER AND HARLEY QUINN Movie in the Works

They finally hit casting jackpot with Ben Afleck as Batman, he's the only great thing about BvS and everyone want to see more of him. He even wants to write and direct his ow Batman movie! What does WB do? Slowly begin to fuck with him and gradually remove him from the DC universe. Great thinking.

Also I don't get the idea of doing a Joker origin story without Leto. I thought the exact point of casting someone that young looking is so you can play around with the timeline and maybe even do origin stories?

Joker and Harley Quinn Movie in the Works from CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE Filmmakers

zmJOa5y.jpg

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, who direct and executive produce the hit NBC drama This Is Us and who also wrote and helmed Crazy, Stupid, Love are entering the DC cinematic universe at Warner Bros.

The duo are in final negotiations to write and direct an untitled movie project centering on Batman villains Joker and Harley Quinn.

Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are due to reprise their roles as the villains, among the most popular characters in the DC pantheon, and which they first portrayed in 2016’s Suicide Squad.

Insiders say that the plan is for this feature to go after the studio makes a sequel to Suicide Squad. The latter is on the development fast-track and out to directors. But the Joker and Harley Quinn movie is also moving fast as the studio has to contend with actors holding agreements, say sources.

The film is described as a “criminal love story,” according to one source, featuring the two murdering maniacs who are cornerstones in the Batman mythos.

Additionally, the project falls within Warner’s main line of movies based on their DC properties. That includes the current movies released and in production that feature Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, among other actors who collectively form the Justice League.

Warners is simultaneously beginning to develop a line of DC-related films that will fall outside the established cinematic universe which sees actors and storylines threaded through multiple movies.

The new line, or possibly label, will allow for the making of movies that will stand apart and separate from those big-budget tentpoles. Matt Reeves’ The Batman, for example, is intended to not be connected to the Justice League universe but to be set in a different time period and star another actor.

And, in a move showing how popular the character is, a Joker solo movie is being developed as a potential directing vehicle for The Hangover filmmaker Todd Phillips. It is intended to star an actor other than Leto. (Requa and Ficcara's Joker/Quinn project is further along in development than Phillips' Joker project, at least at this stage, according to one source.)

This strategy will distinguish Warners’ superhero movies from those of competitors, namely Disney, which has a highly interconnected Marvel universe of films as well as Star Wars. The latter has the main saga, first begun by creator George Lucas decades ago, and is now making standalone outings that are, at least at this stage, intended to fill in backstory for the main and ongoing story.

Warners may not be expanding its universe as much as doubling down on the voracious appetite audiences seem to have for these characters at this point in time.

Ficarra and Requa previously wrote and directed I Love You Phillip Morris and followed that up with the Crazy, Stupid, Love., which starred Steve Carell, Ryan Goslin and Emma Stone. They worked with Robbie when they wrote and directed the heist movie Focus and the war comedy Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

[Update: An earlier version of this story stated that Matt Reeves' The Batman was part of Warner Bros.' new label and would star a new actor as Batman, but it is unclear where that project will fall.]

'Crazy, Stupid Love' Filmmakers to Write, Direct Joker and Harley Quinn Movie (Exclusive)

I was unimpressed with the Jokeer's performance in Suicide Squad.

Sure let's beat a dead horse some more

it's probably the manatee's running WB studio. Just like how family guy got exposed.

Not sure if that joker was from a comic but just .... meh

new joker had literally no charisma, which is something both heath and jack's had in spades.
not sure if i can blame the actor for that as he just works with what he's given (script wise).

I would really like to know who do you consider doing a better acting job in that movie if not Affleck as Batman?

Christian Bale. Not that I think he was all that great either.

But let's say I were to think Affleck was the best Batman yet; would that thus make him "casting jackpot" or "the only great thing about BvS"?

Hell no.

More like "he was another lackluster casting of a character who's never been nailed onscreen (hur hur), and one of few thing that didn't downright blow about BvS".

I thought Leto was pretty cringeworthy at times and in terms of writing and design they dropped the ball, but I liked the idea of Joker as a high rolling gangster. I could buy him more as the leader of an outfit/crime syndicate.

If I had to rewrite Leto's shit I would've made him more like Kakihara. Depraved and psychopathic, but a class act

This is just flat-out dumb.

Characters become iconic through memorable performances. The Joker isn't the Joker because of clown make-up. Ledger made the Joker. If at the same time there was a Joker origin movie out with another actor, it would've bombed terribly.

I honestly just don't understand this from a financial stand point. Attention is $, and you're intentionally splitting that attention. No one is gonna say "hey that Joker movie was great, let's go see the other one that's completely separate and different now". One will bomb. The audience will compare them to eachother and the poorer one will seem even worse in comparison.

It really just makes no sense.

Back