joining the navy

Thats true but the chances of "seeing the world" and the number of places they will see is far lower than the Navy. The marine Corps is however a lot more disciplined than the Navy.

That all really just depends on where you get stationed, whether or not you get attached to a ship, your specific job, etc.

well the recruiter told me, i know they will say shit to make u join, but since i have a year of college in they will start me out at like 1,500 a month

Only 1500 dollars a month???? Shit I made 3x that working in the public schools back in like 2002....

My first military paycheck was $479...no joke. that was awhile ago though ;) Good luck...it will be the time of your life. You will make great friends that you will keep forever.

Was that in the late 1990s? I remember back in 1998 I was finishing highschool and thinking of joining the army or navy. They had pamphlets that showed pay and that seems about what I would have started at as an enlisted guy back in 1998. The funny thing is that back when I was 18, that actually seemed like pretty good money lol. The

Bullshit.

What an odd thing to say. Your lack of knowledge is only surpassed by your boldness.

I mean seriously. Do you care to elaborate? Or do you just go around on these boards letting your Tourettes get the better of you.

http://relentlessgains.com/training-vs-nutrition-which-is-more-important-for-muscle-growth/
most-important-aspect-of-training/

Diet
problems of poor diet, and benefits of good diet
- Without the proper nutrients from a good diet, the benefits of exercise are heavily reduced
- improper nutrient intake heavily effects mental performance and can even effect mood (effects productivity)
- poor diet contributes to failure to prevent/fight disease (heart disease, cancer, stroke etc)
Hydration
Hydration plays a large role in training, and life in general...
Importance of Hydration in General
-Your body often confuses thirst or hunger (which can lead to weight gain) so it is important to drink water regularly to avid over-eating
- water aids in the transportation of nutrients throughout the body
- you are at risk of heatstroke when not properly hydrated (and in hot conditions)
- body temperature is regulated through water, so your body can withstand much hotter conditions when it is properly hydrated
Exercise
2 Types of exercise
What is the Most Important Aspect of Training?
Importance of Hydration with Exercise
- Without proper hydration in exercise, Sickness often occurs either during or shortly afterward
- Water regulates body temperature, and keeps joints properly lubricated (important during exercise)
-Muscle fatigue/cramps often occur during/after exercise when not properly hydrated
- Heatstroke can occur
- When too much water is ingested, hyponatremia can occur, which can cause confusion, headache, and vomiting

Importance of Anaerobic Exercise
When anaerobic exercise is included in training...

- Muscular strength is improved
- The maximum amount of oxygen that your body can use during exercise is increased
- Your ability to stand fatigue is improved
-Your metabolism is improved
Importance of Aerobic Exercise
When aerobic exercise is included in regular training...

- Muscular endurance is improved
- The risk of mortality due to coronary artery disease is reduced
- fat is used as a fuel source while exercising, and is "burned" away
- The mind is benefited ( reduced anxiety/depression, and plays in stress control)
- diabetes can be managed better/easier
- the effects of aging are reduced (in long term use)
Exercise
Diet
Hydration
Importance of Exercise in General
-Without exercise, it is much more difficult to lose/maintain weight
- Exercise contributes to positive mood, and gives you more energy (outside of exercising)
- Exercise promotes better sleep
- In training, exercise is the only way that your body can actually be improved in terms of strength and endurance
Poor diet
Importance of Diet in General
Good Diet vs Poor Diet
Relates to participating activities that lead to muscle exhaustion through either long (aerobic) or short (anaerobic) exertion so that your muscles can be broken down (and rebuilt) and fat can be "burned" away
Relates to eating the appropriate foods that allow your muscles to become stronger and/or larger and avoiding eating foods that will allow fat growth
Relates to getting the proper amount of water (or liquids) in and out of exercise
Aerobic
Anaerobic
sources
1: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/side-effects-improper-diet-1332.html
2:http://www.healthline.com/health/balanced-diet#Calories2
3: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2062750
4:http://www.healthstatus.com/health_blog/plan-for-weight-loss/benefits-anaerobic-exercise/
5:http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20048389
6:http://familydoctor.org/familydocto...thletes-the-importance-of-good-hydration.html
7:http://familydoctor.org/familydocto...nutrients/hydration-why-its-so-important.html
In Conclusion
I believe that the most important aspect of training depends on who you are, and what you are looking for, but I also believe that you can't really take any of them completely out of the equation (you can's have 1 without the others)
Good (Nutritional diet
- Excess calories in fatty foods are stored as fat (over eating)
- Muscle decays due to lack of supporting nutrients especially if exercise is included (under eating)
- tired feeling involved with iron deficiencies
- enhances mental ability (focusing)
- helps lose weight
- slows/reduces the effects of aging
- reduces stress
-For someone who is elderly, they might need to focus on diet more, to make sure that they get all of the nutrients that their body needs, and exercise to strengthen their body
- For someone who is a bodybuilder, all three of the aspects would be equally as important. Diet for proper nutrition, hydration for safe exercise, and exercise for maintaining muscular strength/ physical appearance
- For a female model, diet would probably be what is most important, because they wouldn't really need to have only certain kinds of exercise (cardio)
- For me personally, Exercise and hydration are most important, but in my diet I try to get in protein, because I have a good metabolism and I don't need to focus on maintaining weight, but I want the nutrients for muscle repairing. I simply want to improve muscular strength and to improve muscle size............................

But whatever.. Everybody is different..

Yep diet is the absolute most important thing in ANY training regimen.
Want to be an olympic wrestler? Just nail in the diet and everything else will fall into place.
Oh now you want to switch to MMA, just change your diet, and you will learn striking.
You want to be a ultra-marathon runner? No need to start running, just change to that marathon diet.
You fancy your self strong? Start eating 10,000 calories a day and in 3 months you could be the next Big Z.

I'll tell a true story about about an athlete whose diet is shit, Like Usain Bolt and his chicken McNuggets or Michael Phelps or any number of others who train hard and are gifted but eat like idiots and perform at the highest levels.

Then you, Johnny Cut-n-paste, can tell me about an athlete whose major asset is their consumption of kale; those who give primary credit not to genetic gifts, massive amounts of well-planned and executed training, and wise coaching, but to their diet plan.

And then let's see how those lists stack up, anecdotally.

Of course, it was more succinct (and less painful for you) when I just had you at "bullshit." But if you want to play this game, let's have at it. I happen to watch my diet fairly closely. I understand diet pretty well. It's an easy fourth place in athletic endeavors, behind training, genetics, and coaching.

So yeah, bullshit.

200w.gif

Had thoughts of joining the AF about a year ago, got pretty far into the process but just went to school. Now I'm a year away from my Associates degree and starting to consider the military again, specifically the Navy. I'm in a rut, need to figure something out.

If you have any AF questions, feel free to ask me as I am currently in.

If you have any AF questions, feel free to ask me as I am currently in.

Thanks. I was actually in the process of joining but there were just so many hurdles that i just decided to go back to school. When i first went to the recruiter i was 219 pounds, which is by far the most out of shape I've ever been, but he told me to come back at 185. A year later i came back at 183, then i had to get all of my documents which took forever because they were never "official" enough. I finally got that squared away and he told me to get to 175 pounds to prove that i could keep my weight down by the time i went to meps. I was gonna try to do that until he told me i had to pay off my student loans before i could even go to meps, that would take forever so I just sort of gave up.

Now I'm considering joining the Navy, I'm a year away from my Associates Degree but I've always had an interest in the military because of the benefits.

That all really just depends on where you get stationed, whether or not you get attached to a ship, your specific job, etc.

How long are you on a ship each time? I'm sure there are a lot of variables involved but is there an estimate?

How long are you on a ship each time? I'm sure there are a lot of variables involved but is there an estimate?

I was a Marine so I we generally did 6-7 month tours on the ships. Obviously the tours for the Navy were the same, but when we got back to our base, we would go back to the barracks. Most of the sailors still had to live on the boat, even though it was docked for a long period of time. Of course they could go out in town and have a life, but unless they wanted to pay for an apartment out of pocket they were stuck on the ship as living quarters (called berthings).

So yeah, the average tour at sea is 6-7 months, usually with a port every month or so where you'll get a few days to go out into the town and have a good time. Of course, there's still work to be done and duty to be pulled, so usually there's 3 days at port, and 1 of those days you'll be stuck on duty.

Mind you, I'm a Marine (no longer active), so that was my experience with "boat life." I'm sure some of the squids on here could give you a more accurate representation of average times at sea.

Thanks. I was actually in the process of joining but there were just so many hurdles that i just decided to go back to school. When i first went to the recruiter i was 219 pounds, which is by far the most out of shape I've ever been, but he told me to come back at 185. A year later i came back at 183, then i had to get all of my documents which took forever because they were never "official" enough. I finally got that squared away and he told me to get to 175 pounds to prove that i could keep my weight down by the time i went to meps. I was gonna try to do that until he told me i had to pay off my student loans before i could even go to meps, that would take forever so I just sort of gave up.

Now I'm considering joining the Navy, I'm a year away from my Associates Degree but I've always had an interest in the military because of the benefits.

If you're not joining because you have a passion for the military life you're joining for the wrong reasons. Life in the military has it's ups, but largely it's a day to day grind and the first 4 years can be miserable. If you're not highly motivated it's going to be a frustrating experience, and likely a very negative experience as well.

I was 210+ When I applied. Dropped to 148 to join.

Unless you have a documented medical condition, you can go fuck yourself as far as I'm (And ALOT of active members) are concerned.

It wasn't the Neighborhood watch or the upright citizens brigade.

I took great pride in assisting the sending of fat sacks of shit home from my Navy.

Be able to do your job or get fucked.

I was 210+ When I applied. Dropped to 148 to join.

Unless you have a documented medical condition, you can go fuck yourself as far as I'm (And ALOT of active members) are concerned.

It wasn't the Neighborhood watch or the upright citizens brigade.

I took great pride in assisting the sending of fat sacks of shit home from my Navy.

Be able to do your job or get fucked.

What was your job in the navy?

If you're not joining because you have a passion for the military life you're joining for the wrong reasons. Life in the military has it's ups, but largely it's a day to day grind and the first 4 years can be miserable. If you're not highly motivated it's going to be a frustrating experience, and likely a very negative experience as well.
Job security, a regular paycheck and benefits can be motivating.

Back