Johnson & Johnson knew for decades about asbestos in its baby powder

Nah. Not at all. There wasnt a requirement to. Just like most brake companies werent doing it, since asbestos is an inhalation hazard and you through normal use of putting on the skin, wouldnt have to worry about that. I am with j and j on this one.

Talc is not a carcinogen from skin contact. People arent getting lung cancer from it. If they start getting it, i will be first to admit they messed up.

A wise dodge. But a sad, money loving, baby hating dodge.

Direct contact between asbestos and the skin poses a risk of the material entering the body or the blood stream, and there has been a strong link between skin contact with asbestos and mesothelioma of the abdomen known as peritoneal mesothelioma with the most common mesothelioma diagnosis being pleural mesothelioma.

https://mesowatch.com/asbestos-skin-exposure/

Just another one of God's little pranks.

Didn't we know this about J&J years back? What is new in this one?

I guess it is kind of like Lance Armstrong. It was rumored and somewhat an open secret for years. That's why I said this was probably "priced in", that people took that risk into account when valuing the stock. Or else it would have dropped more. It could drop more.

JNJ is denying it.

Do we seriously have somebody in here white knighting secret baby powder asbestos?
Christ almighty.
That's a new low imo.

Do we seriously have somebody in here white knighting secret baby powder asbestos?
Christ almighty.
That's a new low imo.
Think about how many people worldwide use baby powder on kids. Shit, all us would be screwed. But a few hundred women are able to link their ovarian cancer to baby powder?

A wise dodge. But a sad, money loving, baby hating dodge.

Direct contact between asbestos and the skin poses a risk of the material entering the body or the blood stream, and there has been a strong link between skin contact with asbestos and mesothelioma of the abdomen known as peritoneal mesothelioma with the most common mesothelioma diagnosis being pleural mesothelioma.

https://mesowatch.com/asbestos-skin-exposure/
Probably in chronic occupational exposures. , yes. The minute amounts and possibly found in talc?

Regardless, corn starch is much better imo at absorption.

I wonder if they didn't know about the alleged side effects like the tobacco industry didn't know smoking causes cancer? Or big pharma didn't know about the medicinal properties of marijuana? Or the "accidental" introduction of planned obsolescence into all products in order to have a returning customer base?

In other words, I don't put anything past big companies in their pursuit of profit. Although I'm lost as to what benefits adding asbestos to baby powder would provide the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Think about how many people worldwide use baby powder on kids. Shit, all us would be screwed. But a few hundred women are able to link their ovarian cancer to baby powder?
Ayyyyyy it's just a bit of asbestos
Powder dem babies up lol

I ain't surprised motherfucker. There's almost no legislation on the ingredients inside skin and hair products. This also comes on the heels of new research showing that talc causes cancer and respiratory problems, Health Canada officially warned consumers, yet won't put any warning label... You have to go to natural food stores to get products that aren't toxic, or are less so. "Natural" isn't a controlled designation i.e. the manufacturer has no legal duty to provide you with a product free of unsafe chemicals, you have to seek out manufacturers who make a point to do that, then go on websites that analyse labels to get a breakdown on whether or not each chemical in the product is safe or not.

Myopia is through the fuckin roof. The optometry industry is gonna collapse with the demand coming. I mean it won't be able to handle all the patients.

They are down 10% now btw. Also, people knew this was possible so it may have been priced in.
Why would it collapse if the demand is growing? And why is it "through the roof" anyway? What happened?

Nice. Are you a CIH?
I am not, I'm more in the seller/doer division manager position where CIH is more sit behind a desk and review reports and develop reports. I would need to take a prep course then try the exam but don't really need it in my position as we have other CIHs in the company. CIH are generally considered more nerdy book smart and less field/reality savvy lol. They like to turn things into science experiments

I work in the industrial hygiene field, dealt with asbestos, lead paint, indoor air quality, etc for 15 years

I work for James Hardie, so I know all about asbestos.

And not trusting your employer to not kill you

There's no morality when it comes to making money. Health is of absolute importance to our quality of life. This is why we created agencies like the FDA/EPA to try and remove potential threats to us. Unfortunately too much political bs through lobbying has made both agencies ineffective in their oversight.

Why would it collapse if the demand is growing? And why is it "through the roof" anyway? What happened?

From the stress. Kind of like an overburdened healthcare system. The conventional wisdom was looking at screens too close but it appears sunlight helps. The brighter the better. I can't find the original documentary I watched, here is a short version.

Australia is an outlier that hasn't been nearly as affected and they think that is because of the sun and outdoor activity.

Last edited:
shares down by 8 percent?

how the fuck does this company even still exist?
Johnson & Johnson is worth some tens of billions. The verdict in this case is unlikely to come out to more than a few billion. They'll take an expensive hit, but it won't be worth more than the entire company.

Glad I don't own this stock.

Johnson & Johnson shares fall on report of asbestos in talcum powder 22 Mins Ago | 01:28

Johnson & Johnson reportedly knew its talcum baby powder contained asbestos for decades, Reuters saidin a report that drove the company's shares down by more than 8 percent Friday.

Reuters reviewed documents and deposition and trial testimony the news outlet said showed from 1971 to the early 2000s, J&J company executives, mine managers, doctors and lawyers were aware the company's raw talc and finished powders sometimes tested positive for small amounts of asbestos. Those involved discussed the problem but they did not disclose it to regulators or the public, Reuters' examination found.

J&J's stock is on pace for its worst day in a decade, when its shares closed down 7.67 percent on Oct. 9, 2008.

"Plaintiffs' attorneys out for personal financial gain are distorting historical documents and intentionally creating confusion in the courtroom and in the media," Ernie Knewitz, J&J's vice president of global media relations, told Reuters in an email. "This is all a calculated attempt to distract from the fact that thousands of independent tests prove our talc does not contain asbestos or cause cancer. Any suggestion that Johnson & Johnson knew or hid information about the safety of talc is false."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/14/joh...r-decades-of-asbestos-in-its-baby-powder.html

Ha! The fact that it is only down 8% shows how corrupt our country is. The money is betting on this to barely hurt them.

Literally giving babies cancer.

Fucking super villain territory here.

ISIS has nothing on Johnson and Johnson.

Back