johnnie walker blue label

FinalConflict2005

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Friend is getting married and thought this would be a nice gift. I’ve tried the gold before and it was nice and smooth. Anyone try blue label before?
08EFF12E-2E12-488C-A81B-88546E13E11F.jpeg

It is the smoothest of all their line, although I actually find the Green a little more rich with flavor. No one will complain about the blue, though.

I don't think it's particularly good, especially given the price, but it will definitely wow most people.

Friend is getting married and thought this would be a nice gift. I’ve tried the gold before and it was nice and smooth. Anyone try blue label before?
View attachment 397499
Frankly, I think the Green and the Gold are a waste above Black. I had trouble telling them apart blindly. The Blue stands apart.

Johnny Walker for the most part makes horrible scotch.

And that price lol. Just stop

Frankly, I think the Green and the Gold are a waste above Black. I had trouble telling them apart blindly. The Blue stands apart.

The green has a great flavor and I find it more nuanced than the others. The black is perfectly smokey on its own and very smooth and balanced. The blue is the most smooth but actuslly a bit lighter on the palette, and for the price, not worthwhile at all. For $199 or whatever it generally goes for, there are much more distinguished scotches (single malts, generally) that will leave a more lasting impression.

Johnny Walker for the most part makes horrible scotch.

And that price lol. Just stop

The blue is overpriced for what it is, but you're absurd. They are by no means a horrible scotch maker. Their blends are all very finely balanced and offer a touch of most of the traditional scotch elements in a smooth product that is great when it's perhaps the only scotch available or for the uninitiated. It is a great introduction scotch as it really does present a balanced sample of the scotch flavor spectrum in any of its bottles.

I never buy JW, but I'll drink any of them - even the red, if I wound up with a bottle of it.

If you want to debate overpriced, I'd nominate Macallan. I find all of them up to the 25 to be ridiculously light. Little oakey, but really devoid of the smoke and richness I want in something that expensive. Their 15 in particular (the light blue one?) Is just garbage in my opinion. Like drinking scotch diluted with water.

You can get two bottles of better scotch for less money.

The blue is overpriced for what it is, but you're absurd. They are by no means a horrible scotch maker. Their blends are all very finely balanced and offer a touch of most of the traditional scotch elements in a smooth product that is great when it's perhaps the only scotch available or for the uninitiated. It is a great introduction scotch as it really does present a balanced sample of the scotch flavor spectrum in any of its bottles.

I never buy JW, but I'll drink any of them - even the red, if I wound up with a bottle of it.

If you want to debate overpriced, I'd nominate Macallan. I find all of them up to the 25 to be ridiculously light. Little oakey, but really devoid of the smoke and richness I want in something that expensive. Their 15 in particular (the light blue one?) Is just garbage in my opinion. Like drinking scotch diluted with water.

Interesting. I agree its overpriced but I thought mac is good quality. 17 was strong and full of flavor.

If you want really smokey then islay scotches it is.

I can name better scotches for the value for you right now.

JW blue is overpriced swill. Just like most Patron tequilas.

Balvenine
Aberlour
Macallan
Ardbeg

The green has a great flavor and I find it more nuanced than the others. The black is perfectly smokey on its own and very smooth and balanced. The blue is the most smooth but actuslly a bit lighter on the palette, and for the price, not worthwhile at all. For $199 or whatever it generally goes for, there are much more distinguished scotches (single malts, generally) that will leave a more lasting impression.
I'm not a scotch guy. I prefer bourbon. Spending $200 on a bottle of any liquor isn't worth it, frankly, from my perspective. You're well beyond objective expenses to improvement of the distilling process and quality of the spirit.

I tend to rate the scotches on smoothness first and foremost. I hate smokiness. The Black is the best buy. Above that and I think most are really just after the smoothness. The hardcore scotch drinkers who seek distinctive, strong flavors are going to try everything, anyway. I can tell you from experience that if you want to impress casuals, and not with the price tag, you want to go Blue. The local golf clubhouse made this clear.

Also, if you aren't a scotch enthusiast, I don't really want to start distracting you with random opinions from some faceless internet forum dude, but for that sort of price range, you might consider these, which are rich, dark, smoky and very memorable:

Lagavulin 12 year (essence of liquid leather and smoke - you will feel like you are inhaling the scents of the old world)

Ardbeg Auriverdes (a rare-ish batch from my favorite distiller, as dark and smoky as they come)

I'm not a scotch guy. I prefer bourbon. Spending $200 on a bottle of any liquor isn't worth it, frankly, from my perspective. You're well beyond objective expenses to improvement of the distilling process and quality of the spirit.

I tend to rate the scotches on smoothness first and foremost. I hate smokiness. The Black is the best buy. Above that and I think most are really just after the smoothness. The hardcore scotch drinkers who seek distinctive, strong flavors are going to try everything, anyway. I can tell you from experience that if you want to impress casuals, and not with the price tag, you want to go Blue. The local golf clubhouse made this clear.

No argument. I love smokiness, and I want my scotch steeped in the essence of woodwork and peet, but I agree that after you pass around 100-120 you're really just spending money for a conversation peace. The best flavors, in my opinion, can be had for $80-100

I can name better scotches for the value for you right now.

JW blue is overpriced swill. Just like most Patron tequilas.

Balvenine
Aberlour
Macallan
Ardbeg

How dare you mention the almighty Ardbeg in the same breath as Macallan. Meat me out back, you swine.

How dare you mention the almighty Ardbeg in the same breath as Macallan. Meat me out back, you swine.

Listen I'm not a big scotch guy but I've tried my fair share. I just don't think the value is there for JW Blue. Of course it isn't bad, I'm being over dramatic but it sure isn't worth the price.

Ardbeg is good right? I think so too.

I'm a tequila guy myself. Mezcal also but I'm not as familiar with that and trying to up my mezcal game

Green or the blended pink label (dont remember exactly) was much better for the price.

I wouldn't buy it for my own stash, but if you're out and 35 dollar shots fit the occasion. Go for it I guess.

Back